Windows SP 2 Error

David S.

Windows SP 2 Error
Ok so for a couple years now I have been trying to update to SP2 but my
computer keeps giving me some sort of error and tells me to try to download
the update again. The Error states:

Error Code: 0x8007F0CC
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions

I recently bought a digital video camera from my computer and it requires I
at least have XP SP2 to install it. I seem to recall asking about this error
a long time ago and someone told me it had something to do with editing some
important registry files using programs such as desktop editors and other
programs that can change what the windows log in page looks like. Please
help!!!
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
updates)

Print | Close

Danny Sanders

Re: Windows SP 2 Error
See if this helps:
http://howmakeyourself.blogspot.com/

If not a Google of Error Code: 0x8007F0CC brings up a lot of hits.

hth
DDS
"David S." <David S.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news69C7A9F-0CA0-424B-84E5-ADC7914DA0F8@microsoft.com...
> Ok so for a couple years now I have been trying to update to SP2 but my
> computer keeps giving me some sort of error and tells me to try to
> download
> the update again. The Error states:
>
> Error Code: 0x8007F0CC
> Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
> resources.
>
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
>
> I recently bought a digital video camera from my computer and it requires
> at least have XP SP2 to install it. I seem to recall asking about this
> error
> a long time ago and someone told me it had something to do with editing
> some
> important registry files using programs such as desktop editors and other
> programs that can change what the windows log in page looks like. Please
> help!!!
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
>
> For assisted support options:
>

> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
> updates)
>
> Print | Close

TaurArian

Re: Windows SP 2 Error
David S. wrote:
:: Ok so for a couple years now I have been trying to update to SP2 but
:: my computer keeps giving me some sort of error and tells me to try
:: to download the update again. The Error states:
::
[...]

0x8007f0cc - STATUS_KERNEL_NONSTD
The core system file (kernel) used to start this computer is not a Microsoft
Windows file. The Service Pack will not be installed.

Can happen if you have altered the "boot.ini" file by creating a custom boot
screen or you have used software like Style XP to alter the boot screen.

If you altered the "boot.ini" file and made a custom boot screen then, you
may need to investigate the following article if you didn't back up first:

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

See also:

Error message when you try to install a service pack in Windows XP: "Windows
has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel) on your
computer have been modified"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327101

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org