KB955069 not installing

John

KB955069 not installing
My operating system is Windows XP media center edition version 2002 service
pack 3. I also have norton internet security installed.
Security update KB955069 repeatedly fails to install. There does not appear
to be an error message.

I'd be grateful for some advice.

Thanks,
John
TaurArian

Re: KB955069 not installing
John wrote:
:: My operating system is Windows XP media center edition version 2002
:: service pack 3. I also have norton internet security installed.
:: Security update KB955069 repeatedly fails to install. There does
:: not appear to be an error message.
::
:: I'd be grateful for some advice.
::
:: Thanks,
:: John

Check the Update log in Windows for more clues as to why it's not
installing.

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error
code(s) associated with the latest failed attempt to download/install. If
appropriate copy and paste the error codes into this thread so someone may
be able to assist you. On the other hand, you may be able to find the error
code and other suggestions by searching the Newsgroup.

Also check Windows folder for file called KB******.log (****** = number of
update ie KB955069) and post the contents of the failed update.
This may provide further clues as to why the update failed.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Daniel Jacobson

Re: KB955069 not installing
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:39:02 -0800, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> My operating system is Windows XP media center edition version 2002 service
> pack 3. I also have norton internet security installed.
> Security update KB955069 repeatedly fails to install. There does not appear
> to be an error message.
>
> I'd be grateful for some advice.

I have finally figured out this problem where KB955069 will not install.
I have tried the following without success:
1. Using all the options in Dial-a-fix.
However, even though it did not fix this specific problem,
it has helped me numerous times with other Windows Update Problems.
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix
I have donated to the author for this great tool.
2. Flushing Software Distribution and Re-Downloading the Update.
3. Installing / Reinstalling WinXP SP3 in Safe mode, then try again.
4. Tried installing with all Users of PC and as Administrator.
5. Tried solutions when doing a Google search on:
Failed To Enable SE_SHUTDOWN_PRIVILEGE

What the problem turned out to be and how I figured it out . . .

I had another PC with WinXP Pro SP2 on it that had successfully
installed this update on the first try with no problems.
View your log file in C:\WINDOWS\KB955069.log.

It had many of the these same failures I did Google Searches on
in the log file but it had installed successfully?

Beware of multiple tries of this update because it appends to this
log and you may have to look at the bottom of the file for the
latest logging of events. You might want to just delete it
before your next try.

I then compared the following directories of the 2 machines.
The one which was successful and the one that failed every time.
Compared C:\Windows\$hf_mig$\KB955069 on each machine

Note: C:\Windows is the directory of install for both machines,
you may need to adjust accordingly.

On the Successful Machine this directory contained 2 files
and 4 directories.
2 Files:
========
1. spmsg.dll
2. spuninst.exe

4 Directories
=============
1. SP2QFE
2. SP3GDR
3. SP3QFE
4. update

On the UnSuccessful machine it contained 6 files:
1. spmsg.dll
2. spuninst.exe
3. SP2QFE
4. SP3GDR
5. SP3QFE
6. update

Windows rules are that you cannot create a sub-directory
that has the same name as a file in the current directory.

The UnSuccessful machine had File names where Directory Names
are needed to be created.

Solution
========
I deleted the following 4 files (with no file extension) in the
C:\Windows\$hf_mig$\KB955069 directory
1. SP2QFE
2. SP3GDR
3. SP3QFE
4. update
Each had a length of 32,768 bytes on my machine

After these files were deleted, I reapplied the update
and Directories were created instead of Files and the
update was successful!

Let us know if this works for anyone else.

Note: You will also have to enable viewing Hidden files to
view the above if you have not done so already.
My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | View Tab
Check Radio button Show hidden files and folders
Also Uncheck:
Hide extensions for known file types
Hide Protected Operating system files (Recommended)

Danman

Re: KB955069 not installing

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB955069).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net