windows XP Sp3 all USB ports stopped working

rogue2

windows XP Sp3 all USB ports stopped working
Soon though apparently a few days after automatic Service Pack 3 update, all
the USB ports stopped working. Device manager says they are all fine. A USB
hub shows power light on. No port works with any device tried. Have USB
updated drivers.
hello

RE: windows XP Sp3 all USB ports stopped working

"rogue2" wrote:

> Soon though apparently a few days after automatic Service Pack 3 update, all
> the USB ports stopped working. Device manager says they are all fine. A USB
> hub shows power light on. No port works with any device tried. Have USB
> updated drivers.

Engel

RE: windows XP Sp3 all USB ports stopped working
Hello rogue2,

SP3 free support

Service Pack 3 issues are free support issues from Microsoft. I'd contact
them directly.

<https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131>

If it turns out to be something else, though, not directly related to the
SP3, they'll charge for support. Don't know where they draw the line, though.
-=-

"rogue2" wrote:

> Soon though apparently a few days after automatic Service Pack 3 update, all
> the USB ports stopped working. Device manager says they are all fine. A USB
> hub shows power light on. No port works with any device tried. Have USB
> updated drivers.

TaurArian

rogue2 wrote:
:: Soon though apparently a few days after automatic Service Pack 3
:: update, all the USB ports stopped working. Device manager says they
:: are all fine. A USB hub shows power light on. No port works with
:: any device tried. Have USB updated drivers.

Uninstall SP3 and see if that rectifies the problem -
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

And if you're running Nortons -
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...08051623512613

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Brandon Rumer

RE: windows XP Sp3 all USB ports stopped working
And I bet your computer bluescreens if you boot up with a USB device attached
to it? And, you probably run an HP system?

Problem is with the SP3 USB drivers:
usbehci.sys
usbport.sys

What you have to do is find a liveCD (one that you can boot from a CD that
still gives you access to the windows filesystem). Go to a PC that doesnt
have SP3 on it, or a CD w/out SP3 slipstreamed, and pull these 2 files off
it. Copy these Pre-sp3 files to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers." Overwrite (or
rename) the existing files.

Reboot.

You should be good!

Wierd note: look at the version dates of these SP2 files, and SP3 files. If
I remember correctly, the SP2 files are newer than the SP3 ones...

-B