Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Can't open configuration file

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2008
catmom50
 

Posts: n/a
Can't open configuration file
All of a sudden the last couple days this pops up on my screen, I think only
at the desktop. I can click out of it after about 5 clicks and go on about my
business, but it is annoying the he#% out of me.
Could it have anything to do with some updates that were installed
automatically?
--
Computer granny in Oregon
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't open configuration file
Not knowing your Windows version or which updates may have been installed
automatically, who knows?

catmom50 wrote:
> All of a sudden the last couple days this pops up on my screen, I think
> only
> at the desktop. I can click out of it after about 5 clicks and go on about
> my business, but it is annoying the he#% out of me.
> Could it have anything to do with some updates that were installed
> automatically?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2008
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't open configuration file
catmom50 wrote:
:: All of a sudden the last couple days this pops up on my screen, I
:: think only at the desktop. I can click out of it after about 5
:: clicks and go on about my business, but it is annoying the he#% out
:: of me.
:: Could it have anything to do with some updates that were installed
:: automatically?
:: --
:: Computer granny in Oregon

Try again:
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2008
catmom50
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't open configuration file

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista.

The last 2 updates installed were:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
1.49.989.0)

Installation date: ‎12/‎25/‎2008 11:46 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>


Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
1.49.864.0)

Installation date: ‎12/‎22/‎2008 8:48 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661



Earlier ones were:

Dell Inc. - Display - Dell SE198WFP(Analog)

Installation date: ‎12/‎19/‎2008 9:49 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

Dell Inc. Display software update released in December, 2006

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20032360

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
>>


Update for Windows Vista - English (KB937286)

Installation date: ‎12/‎19/‎2008 9:49 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

Install this update to copy a local version of key help topics
available in the “Online Help” feature of Windows Vista. Customers who
enable the Online Help feature of the Windows Vista help system and have
a persistent Internet connection do not need this update. This update is
useful for customers who are frequently disconnected. After you install
this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937286

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com
>>


Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB960714)

Installation date: ‎12/‎18/‎2008 12:01 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a system running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control
over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from
Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows
Vista License Terms.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=137335

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com
>>



Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
1.49.701.0)

Installation date: ‎12/‎18/‎2008 9:02 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>




Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
1.49.523.0)

Installation date: ‎12/‎16/‎2008 7:52 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>




Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
1.49.369.0)

Installation date: ‎12/‎13/‎2008 9:57 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>


Does this help at all?


--
catmom50
------------------------------------------------------------------------
catmom50's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/catmom50.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1091360.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't open configuration file
And you would be replying to whom?

catmom50 wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista.
>
> The last 2 updates installed were:
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.989.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎25/‎2008 11:46 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>>

>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.864.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎22/‎2008 8:48 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>
>
>
> Earlier ones were:
>
> Dell Inc. - Display - Dell SE198WFP(Analog)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎19/‎2008 9:49 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Optional
>
> Dell Inc. Display software update released in December, 2006
>
> More information:
> http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20032360
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
>>>

>
> Update for Windows Vista - English (KB937286)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎19/‎2008 9:49 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Optional
>
> Install this update to copy a local version of key help topics
> available in the “Online Help” feature of Windows Vista. Customers who
> enable the Online Help feature of the Windows Vista help system and have
> a persistent Internet connection do not need this update. This update is
> useful for customers who are frequently disconnected. After you install
> this item, you may have to restart your computer.
>
> More information:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937286
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com
>>>

>
> Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB960714)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎18/‎2008 12:01 PM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
> compromise a system running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control
> over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from
> Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
> computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows
> Vista License Terms.
>
> More information:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=137335
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com
>>>

>
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.701.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎18/‎2008 9:02 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>>

>
>
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.523.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎16/‎2008 7:52 PM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>>

>
>
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.369.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎13/‎2008 9:57 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>>

>
> Does this help at all?


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2008
catmom50
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't open configuration file

I am replying to you from 5 days ago.


--
catmom50
------------------------------------------------------------------------
catmom50's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/catmom50.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1091360.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2008
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't open configuration file
The title of your posting is "can't open configuration file"

What configuration file can't you open, the name of the file etc or what
you're trying to do would be of assistance.

It appears from your posting that you don't have a problem with Windows
updates.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco


"catmom50" <catmom50.3l3lrd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
news:catmom50.3l3lrd@DoNotSpam.com...
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista.
>
> The last 2 updates installed were:
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.989.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎25/‎2008 11:46 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>>

>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.864.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎22/‎2008 8:48 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>
>
>
> Earlier ones were:
>
> Dell Inc. - Display - Dell SE198WFP(Analog)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎19/‎2008 9:49 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Optional
>
> Dell Inc. Display software update released in December, 2006
>
> More information:
> http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20032360
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
>>>

>
> Update for Windows Vista - English (KB937286)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎19/‎2008 9:49 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Optional
>
> Install this update to copy a local version of key help topics
> available in the “Online Help” feature of Windows Vista. Customers who
> enable the Online Help feature of the Windows Vista help system and have
> a persistent Internet connection do not need this update. This update is
> useful for customers who are frequently disconnected. After you install
> this item, you may have to restart your computer.
>
> More information:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937286
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com
>>>

>
> Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB960714)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎18/‎2008 12:01 PM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
> compromise a system running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control
> over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from
> Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
> computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows
> Vista License Terms.
>
> More information:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=137335
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com
>>>

>
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.701.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎18/‎2008 9:02 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>>

>
>
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.523.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎16/‎2008 7:52 PM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>>

>
>
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.49.369.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎12/‎13/‎2008 9:57 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect
> spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../overview.mspx
>
> Help and Support:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661
>>>

>
> Does this help at all?
>
>
> --
> catmom50
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> catmom50's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/catmom50.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1091360.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2008
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't open configuration file
PA Bear

The person is replying to us but still hasn't advised what configuration
file they can't open etc.

It appears that there isn't a problem with Windows Updates.

As the OP doesn't have a problem with Windows Updates and cannot supply
details of the configuration file that they can't open, I guess the matter
is closed.

K

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ugQsYJHaJHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> And you would be replying to whom?
>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008
Harry Johnston [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't open configuration file
TaurArian wrote:

> The person is replying to us but still hasn't advised what configuration
> file they can't open etc.


If you read the original message carefully, it would seem that an error message
is popping up spontaneously saying "Can't open configuration file". :-)

Harry.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008
Harry Johnston [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can't open configuration file
catmom50 wrote:

> All of a sudden the last couple days this pops up on my screen, I think only
> at the desktop. I can click out of it after about 5 clicks and go on about my
> business, but it is annoying the he#% out of me.


How often does this happen? Is there anything in particular that causes it to
appear, e.g., logging on, closing an application, clicking on the taskbar?

> Could it have anything to do with some updates that were installed
> automatically?


This is the only one that seems at all likely to me:

> Dell Inc. - Display - Dell SE198WFP(Analog)


If you go to the Dell web site (start at www.dell.com) and go into support, then
into drivers, you can enter your PCs service number (which should appear on a
label on the bottom of the PC) and get a list of drivers specific to you. I
recommend you download and install the display driver they provide.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, post back and I'll see if I can find a way
to identify the software that is generating this message.

Harry.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Juno bookmark doesn't open with File Open RJ microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 07-20-2008 21:57
Auto Proxy Configuration file error Blue Fish microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 0 07-11-2008 10:29
How do I open the boot configuration store? =?Utf-8?B?dmlzdGEgZG9yaw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 04-27-2008 22:57
All Adobe products open file dialog configuration Sheila Hoffman microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 08-22-2007 21:46




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:56.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120