Automatic Update disabled

pld459666

Automatic Update disabled
Not sure what is going on, but my automatic update has been disabled and no
matter what I do it's not allowing me t make the change to enabled.

Anyone else have that type of problem?
tnboler

RE: Automatic Update disabled
I'm having this exact same problem right now. Looks like my pc got infected
with something yesterday. I can't get it to work at all. I tried running
services.msc, double-clicking on Automatic Updates and changing this way.
When I try to start service I get an Error 1058 which I can't find help for.

"pld459666" wrote:

> Not sure what is going on, but my automatic update has been disabled and no
> matter what I do it's not allowing me t make the change to enabled.
>
> Anyone else have that type of problem?

Shenan Stanley

tnboler wrote:
> I'm having this exact same problem right now. Looks like my pc got
> infected with something yesterday. I can't get it to work at all.
> I tried running services.msc, double-clicking on Automatic Updates
> and changing this way. When I try to start service I get an Error
> 1058 which I can't find help for.

Either of you happen to know what operating system, service pack, etc you
are running? ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

RE: Automatic Update disabled
And of course you both searched:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...xp=&sloc=en-us

"pld459666" wrote:

> Not sure what is going on, but my automatic update has been disabled and no
> matter what I do it's not allowing me t make the change to enabled.
>
> Anyone else have that type of problem?

Re: Automatic Update disabled
There's a very strong possibility that a hijackware infection is causing the
problems.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

pld459666 wrote:
> Not sure what is going on, but my automatic update has been disabled and
> no
> matter what I do it's not allowing me t make the change to enabled.
>
> Anyone else have that type of problem?

watersoilair

Re: Automatic Update disabled
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I am working with Windows Vista
(grumble grumble) SP1 and have SpyBot and AntiVir. My microsoft taskbar icon
says that it cannot serach for updates. When I click on it (as well as the
start menu pin) the screen comes up for a split second, then it dissapears.
No error message can be seen. I have tried running it as an administrator -
even though I am the sole user of this computer.

Just thought I'd fill you in...and...was wondering if you think this
widespread problem is strictly due to the IE security issues. I do not use
IE, I use Firefox. I am wondering and almost have a feeling that it is a
security issue with Windows Vista. Can you offer any help here? Basically,
where do you think this is coming from?

I hope that I can find the malware. In the meantime, can you provide me
with a link so that I can manually download Windows Updates? I cannot seem to
find one. The site that I found tells me to click on a button, which then
just takes me to my Windows and tries to run the automatic update. (which is
kind of annoying really when you think about it - if my automatic updater
were working, why in the h#$% would I be looking for updates online???)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> There's a very strong possibility that a hijackware infection is causing the
> problems.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> pld459666 wrote:
> > Not sure what is going on, but my automatic update has been disabled and
> > no
> > matter what I do it's not allowing me t make the change to enabled.
> >
> > Anyone else have that type of problem?

watersoilair

Re: Automatic Update disabled
Might I just add here that when the window pops up to authorize activity on
the computer, it would be pretty darn nice if windows could actually register
names and/or functions so that i know what I am allowing.

"watersoilair" wrote:

> [...]
> > Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >
> > Support for Windows Update:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >
> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> > the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> > security updates.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > pld459666 wrote:
> > > Not sure what is going on, but my automatic update has been disabled and
> > > no
> > > matter what I do it's not allowing me t make the change to enabled.

Engel

Re: Automatic Update disabled
Hello watersoilair,

Insure that your system is malware-free /first/ before getting windows
updates.

Before getting windows updates. Thoroughly scan the system with your updated
anti-virus and anti-malware program.

Give this a try and see if it solves the problem................

Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes and SUPERAntiSpywaяe. Home Edition is free

<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
<http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-home-edition-free.html>
-=-

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
<http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2008/03/malwarebytes-anti-malware-105.html>
-=-

Good luck
-=-

"watersoilair" wrote:

> [...]
> > Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >
> > Support for Windows Update:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >
> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> > the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> > security updates.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > pld459666 wrote:
> > > Not sure what is going on, but my automatic update has been disabled and
> > > no
> > > matter what I do it's not allowing me t make the change to enabled.

Please begin a new thread about your problems to avoid confusion. Thanks.

You will NOT be able to install any updates via any method until the machine
is hijackware-free.

watersoilair wrote:
> [...]
>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> =====================
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> pld459666 wrote:
>>> Not sure what is going on, but my automatic update has been disabled and
>>> no
>>> matter what I do it's not allowing me t make the change to enabled.

woodburner

RE: Automatic Update disabled

--
Regards