Re: error 80070490

Very frustrated

Re: error 80070490
I tried all of these fixes and eventully put in my VISTA cd to use the
upgrade option. However, the "upgrade" is not available and it says the only
option is to re-install vista (i.e NUKE AND PAVE). I would prefer to find an
option that won't take me 2 days to re-install all my software, printers,
etc.....this donesn't seem like a good option....any other suggestions?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > quotes) and press Enter.
> > 5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad
> > window:
> > @echo off
> > subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
> > subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
> > subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
> > subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
> > subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
> > subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
> > subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
> > subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
> > @Echo =========================
> > @Echo Finished.
> > @Echo =========================
> > @pause
> > 6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose
> > Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file
> > name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.
> > 7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run
> > as administrator."
> > 8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.
> > NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished,
> > you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".
> > Step 2: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
> > ===========================
> > 1. Please download the file from the following link:
> > Windows Vista (32bit)
> > http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
> > Windows Vista (64bit)
> > http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x64.exe
> > 2. Save the file to D: drive.
> > Note: Please select a drive where Windows Vista was not loaded because the
> > file cannot be launched directly from the system root directory.
> > 3. Click Start->Run, type: "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce"
> > (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update
> > engine.
> > Note: There is a space between "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and
> > "/wuforce"
> > Now, let's run Windows Update again.

> It did not resolve the issue for the OP, so MS then recommended :
>
> > It failed for me too. Microsoft then suggested performing an in-place Vista
> > upgrade, which did indeed fix the problem.
> >
> > 1. With Windows Vista running, insert the Windows Vista CD/DVD.
> > 2. Run Setup.
> > 3. When prompted, select Upgrade.
> > 4. The process takes a LONG time.

> HTH,
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> gene7851 wrote:
>
> > trying to install security update KB925902. Continuously fails error code
> > 80070490 which is not listed. How do I complete installation or should I

TaurArian

Re: error 80070490
:: "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
::
::: A poster in this newsgroup received this information from MS in
::: regards to the 80070490 error code:
:::
:::: Here's the message I received from Microsoft support:
::::
:::: ================
:::: ===========================
[...]
::: ===============
::: *-343-* FDNY
::: Never Forgotten
::: ===============
:::
:::
:::
:::

Very frustrated wrote:
:: I tried all of these fixes and eventully put in my VISTA cd to use
:: the upgrade option. However, the "upgrade" is not available and it
:: says the only option is to re-install vista (i.e NUKE AND PAVE). I
:: would prefer to find an option that won't take me 2 days to
:: re-install all my software, printers, etc.....this donesn't seem
:: like a good option....any other suggestions?
::
::

0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND
Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of
the OS.

Ignore the title you could try SFC : Some Windows Vista functions may not
work, or Windows Vista may stop responding
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
Tells you about SFC (no guarantees) you still may have t reinstall the OS.

BTW - always start your own thread.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

jrobo

Re: error 80070490
I managed to install the clean up utility, but, like most of us, I could not
find .NET Framework 2.0 in the list to remove it. Help! How come Microsoft
hasn't come up with a reasonable response for those of us who are still
suffering?!! How long till they come through??

jhaysITQ

Re: error 80070490
BY chance - do most people that are experiencing this problem have Norton
Internet Security? If you look at your installed updates - it will show you
when the last update succeeded. The Windows Defender and Malicious Updates
have worked even with the 64x updates fail. Mine go back to when Norton
Security center was installed. I turned it off, but still get error - may
try uninstalling Norton and see if it corrects it. I will repost afterwards.