Automatic Windows Update

Ding

Automatic Windows Update
Sorry if the question is simple to the experts but I am absolutely hopeless
with this stuff.

The automatic windows update alert has turned itself off and I can't turn it
back on.
I have tried turning it back on via the Windows security center and also
through the automatic updates tab in 'control panel'. I also cannot look for
updates on the windows update page (express).

Many thanks for the help.
--
Ding

Re: Automatic Windows Update
There's a very strong possibility that a hijackware infection is causing the
problems.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ding wrote:
> Sorry if the question is simple to the experts but I am absolutely
> hopeless
> with this stuff.
>
> The automatic windows update alert has turned itself off and I can't turn
> it
> back on.
> I have tried turning it back on via the Windows security center and also
> through the automatic updates tab in 'control panel'. I also cannot look
> for updates on the windows update page (express).
>
> Many thanks for the help.

Brunhilde

"Ding" wrote:

> Sorry if the question is simple to the experts but I am absolutely hopeless
> with this stuff.
>
> The automatic windows update alert has turned itself off and I can't turn it
> back on.
> I have tried turning it back on via the Windows security center and also
> through the automatic updates tab in 'control panel'. I also cannot look for
> updates on the windows update page (express).
>
> Many thanks for the help.
> --
> Ding

Jean26170

Re: Automatic Windows Update
PA Bear:
I believe I have the hijackware infection. When I try to download any
updates from Microsoft, the internet window appears with a redirect message.
Automatic downloads were occuring routinely up until a few weeks ago, and now
I cannot manually update anything...not even the MSRT or bless this mess -
contact Microsoft for support. Is there any "other" way besides downloading
that I can receive this file? I was just this evening able to download the
Live OneSecurity, but I am still not able to download the updates. I am
really at a loss as to what to do now. Any ideas?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> There's a very strong possibility that a hijackware infection is causing the
> problems.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Ding wrote:
> > Sorry if the question is simple to the experts but I am absolutely
> > hopeless
> > with this stuff.
> >
> > The automatic windows update alert has turned itself off and I can't turn
> > it
> > back on.
> > I have tried turning it back on via the Windows security center and also
> > through the automatic updates tab in 'control panel'. I also cannot look
> > for updates on the windows update page (express).
> >
> > Many thanks for the help.

Re: Automatic Windows Update
Skip to Step #3.

Repost:

Jean26170 wrote:
> PA Bear:
> I believe I have the hijackware infection. When I try to download
> any
> updates from Microsoft, the internet window appears with a redirect
> message.
> Automatic downloads were occuring routinely up until a few weeks ago, and
> now I cannot manually update anything...not even the MSRT or bless this
> mess - contact Microsoft for support. Is there any "other" way besides
> downloading that I can receive this file? I was just this evening able to
> download the Live OneSecurity, but I am still not able to download the
> updates. I am really at a loss as to what to do now. Any ideas?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> There's a very strong possibility that a hijackware infection is causing
>> the problems.
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your
>> hijackthis
>> log to an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> =====================
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Ding wrote:
>>> Sorry if the question is simple to the experts but I am absolutely
>>> hopeless
>>> with this stuff.
>>>
>>> The automatic windows update alert has turned itself off and I can't
>>> turn
>>> it
>>> back on.
>>> I have tried turning it back on via the Windows security center and also
>>> through the automatic updates tab in 'control panel'. I also cannot
>>> look
>>> for updates on the windows update page (express).
>>>
>>> Many thanks for the help.

DrJoeJr

RE: Automatic Windows Update
Searching for information on how to remove the series of "Vundo",
"Virtumonde" and "Smithfraud-c" trojan viruses from my computer. I tried
Microsoft Onecare.live site and downloaded the software. It located some of
the viruses but did NOT remove them... much to my disappointment! One of the
viruses prevented Automatic Windows Update from operating and it would not
allow the Automatic Updates to be set from the Microsoft Windows XP Security
Center. I searched the Microsoft.com Communities Newsgroups and found that
there have been several hundred people who experienced the same problems
cause by this "Vundo" virus family. I tried many of the solutions proposed by
various contributors... some by Microsoft employees, but none of them worked.
I tried Spybot, Norton 360 and AdWare SE... they did not work either. The
saving grace was that I found buried a post provided by a person named
"ronrieger" on 12/30/2008. He described how he downloaded free software from
www.SUPERAntispye.com, ran it and found the trojans that other programs
failed to find AND better yet, it removed them! Then he went back to WUAUSERV
and was able to set the Automatic Updates entry to "Start" and the problem
was resolved! I give all the credit to "ronrieger". I repeated his suggestion
and it worked! I would suggest that Microsoft inform ALL it's Windows users
that this is a quick and easy solution to the Automatic Windows Update
problem and that it is an excellent software which Microsoft should recommend
to the hundreds or thousands of users experiencing the same problem. It would
save thousands of manhours of work and frustration to your users. Thanks
again to ronrieger and the creators of SuperAntispyware.com. I will indeed
make a voluntary donation to these people. Obviously they have a superior
product!
--
DrJoeJr