Ports 443 and 80

victoria

Ports 443 and 80
How do I enable ports 443 and 80?
Thanks in advance.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Ports 443 and 80
victoria wrote:
> How do I enable ports 443 and 80?
> Thanks in advance.

You mean allow them through your software firewall of choice (if any) and
hardware router/NAT/firewall of choice, if any?

No idea - you have given little to no information.

Might want to provide some specifics. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

victoria

Re: Ports 443 and 80

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> victoria wrote:
> > How do I enable ports 443 and 80?
> > Thanks in advance.

> You mean allow them through your software firewall of choice (if any) and
> hardware router/NAT/firewall of choice, if any?
>
> No idea - you have given little to no information.
>
> Might want to provide some specifics. ;-)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>
> Hi-

I was attempting to bid on an auction site, where I've bid in the past.
Since the last Microsoft update - may or may not be a conincident, I have
been unable to log on. The site web master suggested enabling the ports.
Maybe this is not a good idea? thanks for the help.

Jim

Re: Ports 443 and 80

"victoria" <victoria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> victoria wrote:
>> > How do I enable ports 443 and 80?
>> > Thanks in advance.

>> You mean allow them through your software firewall of choice (if any) and
>> hardware router/NAT/firewall of choice, if any?
>>
>> No idea - you have given little to no information.
>>
>> Might want to provide some specifics. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>
>> Hi-

> I was attempting to bid on an auction site, where I've bid in the past.
> Since the last Microsoft update - may or may not be a conincident, I have
> been unable to log on. The site web master suggested enabling the ports.
> Maybe this is not a good idea? thanks for the help.

It is rather unlikely that the latest update had anything to do with the
problem. Ports are a software construct which are used for message
interchange between computers. You define which ports the software should
use in the account setup for IE. In any case, you will get much better
advice from the newsgroup msnews.microsoft.windowsxp.network_web (if you are
using XP; I know nothing of Vista newsgroups).
Jim

Shenan Stanley

Re: Ports 443 and 80

victoria wrote:
> I was attempting to bid on an auction site, where I've bid in the
> past. Since the last Microsoft update - may or may not be a
> conincident, I have been unable to log on. The site web master
> suggested enabling the ports. Maybe this is not a good idea? thanks
> for the help.

Well - it is highly unlikely that changing your firewall/router for ports
443/80 would be the answer for sites you are surfing.

- Can you surf other web pages?
- Are any of those other sites "secure"? (Banks, Credit Cards, Shopping,
etc.)

If you answer yes to both of those - the problem is not with those two
ports. ;-)

What errors do you receive - if any?
If you use a different browser (Firefox for example) - does the 'auction
site' work?

If that is the answer you got from the 'web master' - sounds like a
brush-off.

In any case - knowing what operating system you have, what browser you are
using, the specific web site you are having trouble with, what updates
(specifically) you installed and the word-for-word errors you get would be
helpful in assisting you solve your problem. ;-)

You might simply try uninstalling the updates you recently installed,
rebooting and trying again. Take notes - know exactly what you
unininstalled - come back and include that in your response.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP