unable to connect to windows update:

Brent

unable to connect to windows update:
When I try to connect to windows update it comes up with a message the page
cannot be displayed. I am able to access the internet but I can't get to
Microsoft.com. I a running Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: unable to connect to windows update:

"Brent" <Brent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB2AB6E8-21FA-4D7D-9A43-EA6B1CAE7729@microsoft.com...
> When I try to connect to windows update it comes up with a message the page
> cannot be displayed.

> I am able to access the internet but I can't get to Microsoft.com.

> I a running Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas?

That is a symptom of a problem with your DNS.

Obviously you can connect to some servers from "microsoft.com"
because you are posting using the web interface to newsgroups.
Even if this is with a different computer you could use this fact
to check its DNS with the problem one. E.g. use ipconfig /all
and nslookup in a cmd window on both.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Brent

Re: unable to connect to windows update:
I did both the IPCONFIG and NSLOOKUP and the DNS Server address on both match
192.168.0.1. When I did the NSLOOKUP it also showed the Default Server name
and they are both the same. Any other ideas?

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Brent" <Brent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB2AB6E8-21FA-4D7D-9A43-EA6B1CAE7729@microsoft.com...
> > When I try to connect to windows update it comes up with a message the page
> > cannot be displayed.

> > I am able to access the internet but I can't get to Microsoft.com.

> > I a running Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas?

> That is a symptom of a problem with your DNS.
>
> Obviously you can connect to some servers from "microsoft.com"
> because you are posting using the web interface to newsgroups.
> Even if this is with a different computer you could use this fact
> to check its DNS with the problem one. E.g. use ipconfig /all
> and nslookup in a cmd window on both.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Pussy Willow

Re: unable to connect to windows update:
I had the same problem - it turned out to be caused by malware. It took me a
few scans with three different virus/malware removal tools before I got it
all. Malabytes and Spybot Search & Destroy between them sorted it out.

"Brent" wrote:

> I did both the IPCONFIG and NSLOOKUP and the DNS Server address on both match
> 192.168.0.1. When I did the NSLOOKUP it also showed the Default Server name
> and they are both the same. Any other ideas?
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

> > "Brent" <Brent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB2AB6E8-21FA-4D7D-9A43-EA6B1CAE7729@microsoft.com...
> > > When I try to connect to windows update it comes up with a message the page
> > > cannot be displayed.

> > > I am able to access the internet but I can't get to Microsoft.com.

> > > I a running Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas?

> > That is a symptom of a problem with your DNS.
> >
> > Obviously you can connect to some servers from "microsoft.com"
> > because you are posting using the web interface to newsgroups.
> > Even if this is with a different computer you could use this fact
> > to check its DNS with the problem one. E.g. use ipconfig /all
> > and nslookup in a cmd window on both.
> >

> > Good luck
> >
> > Robert Aldwinckle
> > ---

Brent

Re: unable to connect to windows update:
What program did you use to fix this problem? I have a Mcafee program that I
can install on it. Will that work?

"Brent" <Brent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2BF36DF-D4BA-4B34-9491-87F485CE72A8@microsoft.com...
>I did both the IPCONFIG and NSLOOKUP and the DNS Server address on both match
> 192.168.0.1. When I did the NSLOOKUP it also showed the Default Server name
> and they are both the same.

So? We know that you have some kind of DNS because you claim
that you can connect to anything except microsoft servers.

Did you do lookups for the server names that you need to have
to connect with WU?

BTW that address is a local address, not an Internet address
so that would be no proof that you are using the same DNS
in each case.

> Any other ideas?

We don't really a clear indication that DNS is your problem.
That's just the first obvious thing to test. ping -n 1 would also
check it but telnet is a better connectivity test since it at least
can involve the same port you need to use to connect with a browser.

Tracing a connection attempt using Fiddler2 would give you more details about your failures.

Also, if you really can't open http://www.microsoft.com/ you would
get some clues from XP's Diagnose Connection Problems... tool.
E.g. that is one the sites that tool tests, though that's not one of the ones
you need to connect to WU.

You may get better assistance in a more relevant forum or newsgroup
(such as XP networking).

Good luck

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "Brent" <Brent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB2AB6E8-21FA-4D7D-9A43-EA6B1CAE7729@microsoft.com...
>> > When I try to connect to windows update it comes up with a message the page
>> > cannot be displayed.

>> > I am able to access the internet but I can't get to Microsoft.com.

>> > I a running Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas?

>> That is a symptom of a problem with your DNS.
>>
>> Obviously you can connect to some servers from "microsoft.com"
>> because you are posting using the web interface to newsgroups.
>> Even if this is with a different computer you could use this fact
>> to check its DNS with the problem one. E.g. use ipconfig /all
>> and nslookup in a cmd window on both.
>>

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

ZKE94-1429

Re: unable to connect to windows update:
zALAH-K-E@HOTMAIL.COM

"***** Willow" wrote:

> I had the same problem - it turned out to be caused by malware. It took me a
> few scans with three different virus/malware removal tools before I got it
> all. Malabytes and Spybot Search & Destroy between them sorted it out.
>
> "Brent" wrote:
>
> > I did both the IPCONFIG and NSLOOKUP and the DNS Server address on both match
> > 192.168.0.1. When I did the NSLOOKUP it also showed the Default Server name
> > and they are both the same. Any other ideas?

> > > That is a symptom of a problem with your DNS.
> > >
> > > Obviously you can connect to some servers from "microsoft.com"
> > > because you are posting using the web interface to newsgroups.
> > > Even if this is with a different computer you could use this fact
> > > to check its DNS with the problem one. E.g. use ipconfig /all
> > > and nslookup in a cmd window on both.
> > >

> > > Good luck
> > >
> > > Robert Aldwinckle
> > > ---

Dave Lechkun

"Brent" wrote:

> When I try to connect to windows update it comes up with a message the page
> cannot be displayed. I am able to access the internet but I can't get to
> Microsoft.com. I a running Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas?

I am having the same problem also running XP Pro. Currently talking with
microsoft support but have not solved the problem. I reinstalled windows
with repair option. The next thing I am thinking of doing is just reinstall
windows. I just hate to do that because everything else is working fine
just cannot get the windows updates site. I guess I will play with it a
little longer.

Dave Lechkun
Dave Lechkun

"Brent" wrote:

> When I try to connect to windows update it comes up with a message the page
> cannot be displayed. I am able to access the internet but I can't get to
> Microsoft.com. I a running Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas?

Brent, Solved the problem by using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It is a free
download. After you download the software run the updates pick in the menu
selection. I ran the program with out the update and it did not find
everything after the update it removed the problem. Have a Great Day.