windows update error 0x80070625

pven1

windows update error 0x80070625
Unfortunately, I keep receiving error code 0x80070625 when I try to update my
Windows XP (service pack 3) but cannot find the solution anywhere...or just
not looking in he right places. I would like to know if wnyone could help or
point me in the right direction.
Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but I cannot open any of my Microsoft
Ofice Excel documents because it keeps disbling them and running a virus scan
when I enable them.
Please help as it would be greatly appreciated (my shopping list is on one
of the excel files). :0)
--
pven1
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: windows update error 0x80070625

"pven1" <pven1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:487782F6-B490-47F5-87A4-FD7D19E528AB@microsoft.com...
> Unfortunately, I keep receiving error code 0x80070625 when I try to update my
> Windows XP (service pack 3) but cannot find the solution anywhere...or just
> not looking in he right places. I would like to know if wnyone could help or
> point me in the right direction.

First, make sure that you have the right code.
E.g. is it ...625 or ...652?

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x625
1573
E:\>net helpmsg %c%
1573 is not a valid Windows network message number.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3871.

E:\>set /a c = 0x652
1618
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.

</cmd_output>

> Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but I cannot open any of my Microsoft
> Ofice Excel documents because it keeps disbling them and running a virus scan
> when I enable them.
> Please help as it would be greatly appreciated (my shopping list is on one
> of the excel files). :0)

Probably best to check with an Excel NG for that one.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

pven1

Re: windows update error 0x80070625
Thank you Robert, as it is in fact error code 652...any idea as to what
"installation is already in progress"...and what I can do about this? Your
help is greatly appreciated.
--
pven1

"pven1" <pven1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DAE1AAD-DD2D-45C6-A669-532EF5A82B34@microsoft.com...
> Thank you Robert, as it is in fact error code 652...any idea as to what
> "installation is already in progress"...and what I can do about this? Your
> help is greatly appreciated.

Any clues in the install log or whatever other diagnostics the install
is creating?

Hint: Search all files that the update is changing (e.g. all files changed
during that minute of that day) for either 652 or the decimal equivalent
of that hex value, 1618.

You might also be lucky and find more details about it in the Event log.
E.g. Run... eventvwr.exe

Also, be on guard for the possibility that the message is bogus
and then would just be an indication that *something* is wrong
but not necessarily that there is an update which has not completed.
In fact, if you have been attempting this update more than once
the message might be reporting such a previous attempt. In that case
it would be best to go back in the log and find whatever diagnostics
were given in the *first* install attempt.

Good luck

Robert
---