Windows Update

H2O2Wine

Windows Update
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have recently restored the
computer to factory settings (mostly because of this problem). I have my
computer set to automatic update. It was doing fine for the first week it
continued to download al updates. Then on 14 December it stopped. When I
bring up the Windows update screen and click on check for updates it shows
"checking for updates" and the little green progress bar just keeps running
but nothing else happens. I have tried turning off my windows firewall,
turned off my integrity filter, I have even removed the last updates that
were installed on the 14th. I used the system restore to reset it back to
prior to the 14th updates and still nothing.
What else can I do?
chuck m

window update
had the problem also with my gateway after i downloaded the newest update date 12/10.but i found my fix by having another laptop that is a acer and it didn't affected it at all. i went to regedit first and then find and typed in wuauserv found it had two setting one was

hkey_local_machine\system\controlset001\services\w uauserv and hkey_local_machine\system\controlset002\services\w uauserv

i notice on my acer laptop it didn't have hkey_local_machine\system\controlset002\services\w uauserv in the regsister. but i did notice that

hkey_local_machine\system\controlset001\services\w uauserv in the gateway had Windows

Update as the display name but on the acer it had

@%systemroot%\system32\wuaueng.dll,-105 as the display name so i change it in the gateway. i thought that the

hkey_local_machine\system\controlset002\services\w uauserv was hiccup in the update.

so i change the display name and restart the computer and guess what the update window popped up right and i got to install the critical updtae for ie7. hope this works for other

H2O2Wine

RE: window update
I am using an Acer Laptop I went into the regedit and found that I have also
got 2 hkey_local...controlSet001 and a ControlSet003 on my registry. They
both have a display name listed as Windows Update. I notice you said that you
thought one was a hiccup did you leave it in there anyway or did you delete
it?