KB954430/KB960714 TOGETHER FAILING TO INSTALL

John A Taylor

KB954430/KB960714 TOGETHER FAILING TO INSTALL
Sorry, new to forum so have reposted with ID patch no in subject box. Both
above repeatedly fail to install per my previous post. Any comments, do I
need them etc?.
--
Thank you
John
Jim

Re: KB954430/KB960714 TOGETHER FAILING TO INSTALL

"John A Taylor" <JohnATaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, new to forum so have reposted with ID patch no in subject box. Both
> above repeatedly fail to install per my previous post. Any comments, do I
> need them etc?.
> --
> Thank you
> John

Yes, you need them. However, you messages are lacking a few details such as
OS version and error message verbatim. Also, what AV are you running, and
what firewall?
Jim

John A Taylor

Re: KB954430/KB960714 TOGETHER FAILING TO INSTALL
Windows XP SP2; AVG 8.0 (subscription) AV; (+ SpywareBlaster; SpywareGuard )
Zone Labs FR (Free version). No error messages. MS manual download box
stated download was successful for both patches but on re-start 'yellow
shield' reappeared for the umteanth time inviting me to download KB954430
again although it shows up on my add/remove programs list. However, KB960714
is not listed as being installed.
--
Thank you
John

"Jim" wrote:

> "John A Taylor" <JohnATaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, new to forum so have reposted with ID patch no in subject box. Both
> > above repeatedly fail to install per my previous post. Any comments, do I
> > need them etc?.
> > --
> > Thank you
> > John

> Yes, you need them. However, you messages are lacking a few details such as
> OS version and error message verbatim. Also, what AV are you running, and
> what firewall?
> Jim

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB954430/KB960714 TOGETHER FAILING TO INSTALL
For KB954430, the issue is being caused by 'something' that is locking
msxml4.dll and not allowing it to be replaced on a reboot. You did
reboot after it installed, correct ?
See this KB for a resolution method: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/

For KB960714, which version of IE ?
You can get free support for *any* security update that has an
installation or reliability issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960714

" How to obtain help and support for this security update
in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local
Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the
Microsoft International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4
North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by
visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552 "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
> Zone Labs FR (Free version). No error messages. MS manual download box
> stated download was successful for both patches but on re-start 'yellow
> shield' reappeared for the umteanth time inviting me to download KB954430
> again although it shows up on my add/remove programs list. However, KB960714
> is not listed as being installed.

John A Taylor

Re: KB954430/KB960714 TOGETHER FAILING TO INSTALL
Yes I have rebooted everyday for about 10-14 days and the auto-update yellow
shield keeps reappearing.
--
Thank you
John

John A Taylor wrote:

> Yes I have rebooted everyday for about 10-14 days and the auto-update yellow
> shield keeps reappearing.

Did you try the resolution laid out in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729
yet ?