Security update KB960714 has shut my internet access

Robert the none too pleased

Security update KB960714 has shut my internet access
I installed security update KB960714 (MS08-078) last night through defender
and as a result have laso all access to the internet. I connect via a Orange
Live box and a RG45 cable. I can no longer see the router and cant ping it.
It is like my network cable port has been switched off. It was workin until
1 hour before and this update was installed.

How do I fix the problem. I have also been unable to roll as it keeps
failing so cant remove the security update.

Can I manually uninstall it?

Is there a link to a fix I can download and install manually?

Robert the non too pleased

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Security update KB960714 has shut my internet access

"Robert the none too pleased" <Robert the none too pleased@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed security update KB960714 (MS08-078) last night through defender
> and as a result have laso all access to the internet.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=960714

For which OS? It looks as if it was mostly an update to mshtml.dll

Normally with IE updates the problem is that iexplore.exe gets
changed and a user's security app doesn't understand that the change
is valid. E.g. they either need to reconfigure the security app or
disable it. I don't think that would happen with mshtml.dll but with
security apps who knows? (security/obscurity)

> I connect via a Orange
> Live box and a RG45 cable. I can no longer see the router and cant ping it.
> It is like my network cable port has been switched off. It was workin until
> 1 hour before and this update was installed.
>

> How do I fix the problem. I have also been unable to roll as it keeps
> failing so cant remove the security update.

??

> Can I manually uninstall it?

Add/Remove Programs. Check Show Updates.

> Is there a link to a fix I can download and install manually?

See the KB article.

> Robert the non too pleased

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Dave Horne

Re: Security update KB960714 has shut my internet access
Robert, you replied to the post ( The IE Critical Security Update is now up
on WU ) where I had the same problem. For anyone else who has this same
problem, try right clicking on the Network System Tray icon - Network and
Sharing Center \ View Status \ Disable ... disable the network and then
enable it.

That worked for me and there's no harm in trying. I'm still curious why I
had this issue. I would greatly appreciate if someone who knows much more
than I could offer some insight. Thanks, Dave Horne

"Robert the none too pleased" <Robert the none too
pleased@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed security update KB960714 (MS08-078) last night through defender
> and as a result have laso all access to the internet. I connect via a
> Orange
> Live box and a RG45 cable. I can no longer see the router and cant ping
> it.
> It is like my network cable port has been switched off. It was workin
> until
> 1 hour before and this update was installed.
>
> How do I fix the problem. I have also been unable to roll as it keeps
> failing so cant remove the security update.
>
> Can I manually uninstall it?
>
> Is there a link to a fix I can download and install manually?
>
> Robert the non too pleased

Robert the none too pleased

Re: Security update KB960714 has shut my internet access
Hi again. managed to sort it on my LAN properties. opened properties and
then configure, noticed in advanced tab that the 802.1 p QOS setting was
diabled. I remember from my college days 802.1 was the rules that work
networks and enabled it and up came my connection.

It appears this windows update is resetting my LAN config in all sort of ways.

thanks for your aid.