Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
Jack
 

Posts: n/a
Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
Just posted this in Windows XP general group. I then realized these groups
may be the correct ones.
Here it is:
I've just installed KB960714 patch. Restarted the PC and launched IE but
zonealarm didn't prompt for access. Normally, zonealarm would inform me when
a program has changed since the last time it ran. Doesn't look like the
patch change any IE related executables or DLLs. Does anyone know what
KB960714 does?

Thanks very much.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
Did you check the kb article? It tells you a little bit about what dll were
changed.
The rest you would have to contact MS and I really don't think they will
share that knowledge with you or anyone else including me.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960714



--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco


"Jack" <Jack@> wrote in message
news:emcvG4NYJHA.2280@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Just posted this in Windows XP general group. I then realized these groups
> may be the correct ones.
> Here it is:
> I've just installed KB960714 patch. Restarted the PC and launched IE but
> zonealarm didn't prompt for access. Normally, zonealarm would inform me
> when a program has changed since the last time it ran. Doesn't look like
> the patch change any IE related executables or DLLs. Does anyone know what
> KB960714 does?
>
> Thanks very much.
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
Daniel Crichton
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
Jack wrote on Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:58:25 -0800:

> Just posted this in Windows XP general group. I then realized these
> groups may be the correct ones.
> Here it is:
> I've just installed KB960714 patch. Restarted the PC and launched IE
> but zonealarm didn't prompt for access. Normally, zonealarm would
> inform me when a program has changed since the last time it ran.
> Doesn't look like the patch change any IE related executables or DLLs.
> Does anyone know what KB960714 does?


> Thanks very much.



Zonealarm only compares a checksum of the executable, not any linked or
loaded DLLs. As this patch only changes a few DLLs you won't see an alert
from Zonealarm.

--
Dan


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
magfo
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
Will this patch for IE automatically download if the computer is set to do
that? I was expecting it to do it today, but nothing has happened. So
checked the website to see what downloads my computer needs and it doesn't
have that one.
So how do I get this installed on my computer?

"Jack" wrote:

> Just posted this in Windows XP general group. I then realized these groups
> may be the correct ones.
> Here it is:
> I've just installed KB960714 patch. Restarted the PC and launched IE but
> zonealarm didn't prompt for access. Normally, zonealarm would inform me when
> a program has changed since the last time it ran. Doesn't look like the
> patch change any IE related executables or DLLs. Does anyone know what
> KB960714 does?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
magfo wrote:
|| Will this patch for IE automatically download if the computer is set
|| to do that? I was expecting it to do it today, but nothing has
|| happened. So checked the website to see what downloads my computer
|| needs and it doesn't have that one.
|| So how do I get this installed on my computer?


The patch will auto download if set to do that.

If you want check your history on the website to see if it's already
installed (the patch). Another way of checking is via the Add/Remove
programs.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
magfo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
Nope not installed on my computer yet. It is set for automatic downloads.
And when checking what updates are available, that one is not listed.



"TaurArian" wrote:

> magfo wrote:
> || Will this patch for IE automatically download if the computer is set
> || to do that? I was expecting it to do it today, but nothing has
> || happened. So checked the website to see what downloads my computer
> || needs and it doesn't have that one.
> || So how do I get this installed on my computer?
>
>
> The patch will auto download if set to do that.
>
> If you want check your history on the website to see if it's already
> installed (the patch). Another way of checking is via the Add/Remove
> programs.
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
> Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
magfo wrote:

> Nope not installed on my computer yet. It is set for automatic downloads.
> And when checking what updates are available, that one is not listed.


Check here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...riteria=dat e

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> magfo wrote:
>>>> Will this patch for IE automatically download if the computer is set
>>>> to do that? I was expecting it to do it today, but nothing has
>>>> happened. So checked the website to see what downloads my computer
>>>> needs and it doesn't have that one.
>>>> So how do I get this installed on my computer?

>>
>>
>> The patch will auto download if set to do that.
>>
>> If you want check your history on the website to see if it's already
>> installed (the patch). Another way of checking is via the Add/Remove
>> programs.
>>
>> --
>>
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>> ======================================
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
>> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
>> Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
wasp
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
I am using xp home edition and IE7 now.
The KB960714 update will destroy the ruler function of IE7.
The mouse wheel will be unable to control the ruler of IE7 correctly after
the installation of KB960714.



"Jack" <Jack@> ¦b¶l¥ó±i¶K¤º®e¥D¦® emcvG4NYJHA.2280@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Just posted this in Windows XP general group. I then realized these groups
> may be the correct ones.
> Here it is:
> I've just installed KB960714 patch. Restarted the PC and launched IE but
> zonealarm didn't prompt for access. Normally, zonealarm would inform me
> when a program has changed since the last time it ran. Doesn't look like
> the patch change any IE related executables or DLLs. Does anyone know what
> KB960714 does?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
Daniel Crichton
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
What "ruler function"? This sounds more like a 3rd party addon that relied
on a feature of the HTML renderer that is no longer available to be used.

I have no problem using the wheel of my MS mouse in IE7 to scroll around
after installing this update.

Dan

wasp wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:52:27 +0800:

> I am using xp home edition and IE7 now.
> The KB960714 update will destroy the ruler function of IE7.
> The mouse wheel will be unable to control the ruler of IE7 correctly
> after the installation of KB960714.




> "Jack" <Jack@> ¦b¶l¥ó±i¶K¤º®e¥D¦® emcvG4NYJHA.2280@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
>> Just posted this in Windows XP general group. I then realized these
>> groups may be the correct ones.
>> Here it is:
>> I've just installed KB960714 patch. Restarted the PC and launched IE
>> but zonealarm didn't prompt for access. Normally, zonealarm would
>> inform me when a program has changed since the last time it ran.
>> Doesn't look like the patch change any IE related executables or
>> DLLs. Does anyone know what
>> KB960714 does?


>> Thanks very much.



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
Thomas
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer Patch (KB960714)
I have live update active and also tried a manual download of the patch but
got a message back that the download was not compatible. The history files
shows nothing since the 10 Dec. Am I still unprotected? I run XP and IE7.

"Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote:

> magfo wrote:
>
> > Nope not installed on my computer yet. It is set for automatic downloads.
> > And when checking what updates are available, that one is not listed.

>
> Check here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...riteria=dat e
>
> --
> Vincenzo Di Russo
> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/
>
> > "TaurArian" wrote:
> >
> >> magfo wrote:
> >>>> Will this patch for IE automatically download if the computer is set
> >>>> to do that? I was expecting it to do it today, but nothing has
> >>>> happened. So checked the website to see what downloads my computer
> >>>> needs and it doesn't have that one.
> >>>> So how do I get this installed on my computer?
> >>
> >>
> >> The patch will auto download if set to do that.
> >>
> >> If you want check your history on the website to see if it's already
> >> installed (the patch). Another way of checking is via the Add/Remove
> >> programs.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> >> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> >> ======================================
> >> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> >> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
> >> Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update: Patch for Internet Explorer Security Hole Paul Security News 0 12-18-2008 03:50
Microsoft Releases Patch for Internet Explorer Zero-Day Vulnerability Steve Security News 0 12-17-2008 19:30
[Ann] Microsoft out of band Security Bulletin: pronta la patch per Internet Explorer Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] microsoft.public.it.windows.vista 1 12-17-2008 19:22
Emergency patch for Internet Explorer coming tomorrow Steve Security News 0 12-16-2008 22:50
BUGFIX: Crashes in Internet Explorer 6 under WXP-SP2 after December Patch Tuesday Bill Drake microsoft.public.windowsupdate 18 12-17-2007 00:23




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:29.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120