Let me start again...sorry for confusion

jimmy77

Let me start again...sorry for confusion
I uninstalled the sp3 that gave me all those problems and it still wasn't
working right (no service pack at all was there) so I restored it to 1 week
ago. Now it just runs extremely slow. Did this mess with the memory? Is there
a way to check and a way to get it run faster again.

I have windows xp professional and hardware says sp2 is installed. I
installed sp3 cause it kept coming up on my screen (new windows update). I
installed it and after that everything was going haywire.y takeing forever
for explorer to come up and when it did the tool bars wouldn't be there ..top
or bottom. I now have it uninstalled and restored and sp2 is back, but
everthing is running real slow now. !How can I check my memery and is there
any thing I can do to speed it up again? Thank You

Re: Let me start again...sorry for confusion
Repost from your original thread:

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jimmy77 wrote:
> I uninstalled the sp3 that gave me all those problems and it still wasn't
> working right (no service pack at all was there) so I restored it to 1
> week
> ago. Now it just runs extremely slow. Did this mess with the memory? Is
> there a way to check and a way to get it run faster again.
>
> I have windows xp professional and hardware says sp2 is installed. I
> installed sp3 cause it kept coming up on my screen (new windows update). I
> installed it and after that everything was going haywire.y takeing forever
> for explorer to come up and when it did the tool bars wouldn't be there
> ..top or bottom. I now have it uninstalled and restored and sp2 is back,
> but
> everthing is running real slow now. !How can I check my memery and is
> there
> any thing I can do to speed it up again? Thank You

Jim

"jimmy77" <jimmy77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I uninstalled the sp3 that gave me all those problems and it still wasn't
> working right (no service pack at all was there) so I restored it to 1
> week
> ago. Now it just runs extremely slow. Did this mess with the memory? Is
> there
> a way to check and a way to get it run faster again.
>
> I have windows xp professional and hardware says sp2 is installed. I
> installed sp3 cause it kept coming up on my screen (new windows update). I
> installed it and after that everything was going haywire.y takeing forever
> for explorer to come up and when it did the tool bars wouldn't be there
> ..top
> or bottom. I now have it uninstalled and restored and sp2 is back, but
> everthing is running real slow now. !How can I check my memery and is
> there
> any thing I can do to speed it up again? Thank You

Did you disable all AV programs before installing SP3?
Trying to install such a big thing as a service pack while AV software is
running is not advisable. This is yet another reason to get the SP3 update
CD. You can disable AV software, all networking (turn off the router should
do the trick), and firewalls before starting the installation.

And, if you tried to install SP3 while the AV was running, the removal of
SP3 may or may not put things back to exactly the way that they were.

Jim

jimmy77

Re: Let me start again...sorry for confusion
I never disabled anything, it sounds like that is the problem. Is there any
way to fix it now, and if sp3 gets reinstalled corectly will it it allow my
computer to run good again. And does this hurt my computer installing and
uninstalling alot? Thanks for the help!

"Jim" wrote:

> "jimmy77" <jimmy77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I uninstalled the sp3 that gave me all those problems and it still wasn't
> > working right (no service pack at all was there) so I restored it to 1
> > week
> > ago. Now it just runs extremely slow. Did this mess with the memory? Is
> > there
> > a way to check and a way to get it run faster again.
> >
> > I have windows xp professional and hardware says sp2 is installed. I
> > installed sp3 cause it kept coming up on my screen (new windows update). I
> > installed it and after that everything was going haywire.y takeing forever
> > for explorer to come up and when it did the tool bars wouldn't be there
> > ..top
> > or bottom. I now have it uninstalled and restored and sp2 is back, but
> > everthing is running real slow now. !How can I check my memery and is
> > there
> > any thing I can do to speed it up again? Thank You
> >

> Did you disable all AV programs before installing SP3?
> Trying to install such a big thing as a service pack while AV software is
> running is not advisable. This is yet another reason to get the SP3 update
> CD. You can disable AV software, all networking (turn off the router should
> do the trick), and firewalls before starting the installation.
>
> And, if you tried to install SP3 while the AV was running, the removal of
> SP3 may or may not put things back to exactly the way that they were.
>
> Jim

Jim

>I never disabled anything, it sounds like that is the problem. Is there any
> way to fix it now, and if sp3 gets reinstalled corectly will it it allow
> my
> computer to run good again. And does this hurt my computer installing and
> uninstalling alot? Thanks for the help!
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>

>> "jimmy77" <jimmy77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I uninstalled the sp3 that gave me all those problems and it still
>> >wasn't
>> > working right (no service pack at all was there) so I restored it to 1
>> > week
>> > ago. Now it just runs extremely slow. Did this mess with the memory? Is
>> > there
>> > a way to check and a way to get it run faster again.
>> >
>> > I have windows xp professional and hardware says sp2 is installed. I
>> > installed sp3 cause it kept coming up on my screen (new windows
>> > update). I
>> > installed it and after that everything was going haywire.y takeing
>> > forever
>> > for explorer to come up and when it did the tool bars wouldn't be there
>> > ..top
>> > or bottom. I now have it uninstalled and restored and sp2 is back, but
>> > everthing is running real slow now. !How can I check my memery and is
>> > there
>> > any thing I can do to speed it up again? Thank You
>> >

>> Did you disable all AV programs before installing SP3?
>> Trying to install such a big thing as a service pack while AV software is
>> running is not advisable. This is yet another reason to get the SP3
>> update
>> CD. You can disable AV software, all networking (turn off the router
>> should
>> do the trick), and firewalls before starting the installation.
>>
>> And, if you tried to install SP3 while the AV was running, the removal of
>> SP3 may or may not put things back to exactly the way that they were.
>>
>> Jim

You should remove SP3. What I would do is get the update CD. Once it
arrives, turn off your connection to the internet. Disable the AV. Turn
off the firewall (might not absolutely needed, but turning it off can do no
harm if you are not connected to the internet). Then install SP3 and
reboot. Turn on AV and the fireall. Restore the connection to the
internet. It took me 30 minutes to go through these steps.

The only way to tell whether anything is damaged or not is by running the
system. I do presume that you determined that your system is clean before
you started any of this. Not only installing a service pack on a damaged
system not help, this process may make the system even worse than it was.

Jim

Re: Let me start again...sorry for confusion
1. Read this:

2. Following the advise in #1, uninstall WinXP SP3.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

3. Reboot TWICE!!

4. Following the advice in #1, reinstall WinXP SP3:

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/

5. Reboot TWICE!!