Service Pack 3 causes Blue Screen & No Computer!

Servalan123

Service Pack 3 causes Blue Screen & No Computer!
Question

I bought a laptop about a month ago and today at 6pm Service Pack 3 was
installed.I immediately got a blue screen after the instalation and every
time I boot up I get the blue screen after a minute making the laptop
unusable.The hard drive is 93% free.
The screen read :
STOP : 0x0000007E, 0xB6A8A8E723, 0x BAD0F614, 0x BAD0F310
Mtlmnt5.sys Add:B6A8E723, base at B6A7E000 DATESTAMP 42078541

Now the blue screen reads:
0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xB1FOF723, xBADOF614, 0xBADOF310
Mtlmats.sys Address B1FOF723 base at B1EFF000 DATESTAMP 42078541

Can anyone please help? I have had blue screens before but they never
crippled the computer.Is SP3 to blame?

ps, computer is XP Pro, 3.66GHz, 2GB RAM & 2GB HD.It has only been in use
the past 5 days! Thanks!
pps, I have no spyware, malware or virus on the computer.
TaurArian

RE: Service Pack 3 causes Blue Screen & No Computer!
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Where to get assistance:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid
until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy, visit the
Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is
available only in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP
issues, visit the Help and Support site at
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173, and then choose
your product.

.. US:

.. CA:

.. UK:

.. AU:

.. Other:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

"Servalan123" wrote:

> Question
>
> I bought a laptop about a month ago and today at 6pm Service Pack 3 was
> installed.I immediately got a blue screen after the instalation and every
> time I boot up I get the blue screen after a minute making the laptop
> unusable.The hard drive is 93% free.
> The screen read :
> STOP : 0x0000007E, 0xB6A8A8E723, 0x BAD0F614, 0x BAD0F310
> Mtlmnt5.sys Add:B6A8E723, base at B6A7E000 DATESTAMP 42078541
>
> Now the blue screen reads:
> 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xB1FOF723, xBADOF614, 0xBADOF310
> Mtlmats.sys Address B1FOF723 base at B1EFF000 DATESTAMP 42078541
>
> Can anyone please help? I have had blue screens before but they never
> crippled the computer.Is SP3 to blame?
>
> ps, computer is XP Pro, 3.66GHz, 2GB RAM & 2GB HD.It has only been in use
> the past 5 days! Thanks!
> pps, I have no spyware, malware or virus on the computer.

Jim

"Servalan123" <Servalan123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Question
>
> I bought a laptop about a month ago and today at 6pm Service Pack 3 was
> installed.I immediately got a blue screen after the instalation and every
> time I boot up I get the blue screen after a minute making the laptop
> unusable.The hard drive is 93% free.
> The screen read :
> STOP : 0x0000007E, 0xB6A8A8E723, 0x BAD0F614, 0x BAD0F310
> Mtlmnt5.sys Add:B6A8E723, base at B6A7E000 DATESTAMP 42078541
>
> Now the blue screen reads:
> 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xB1FOF723, xBADOF614, 0xBADOF310
> Mtlmats.sys Address B1FOF723 base at B1EFF000 DATESTAMP 42078541
>
> Can anyone please help? I have had blue screens before but they never
> crippled the computer.Is SP3 to blame?
>
> ps, computer is XP Pro, 3.66GHz, 2GB RAM & 2GB HD.It has only been in use
> the past 5 days! Thanks!
> pps, I have no spyware, malware or virus on the computer.

Stop 7E - System Thread Exception Not Handled
The base address indicates system space. May or may not be non-paged pool.

Discussed in KB330182.

Mtlmnt5.sys - A modem or softmodem driver from Microsoft
The base address indicates system space. May or not be non-paged pool.
Can't find much about this driver.

Jim

Engel

RE: Service Pack 3 causes Blue Screen & No Computer!
Hello Servalan123,

You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372>

OR

get assistance.

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"TaurArian" wrote:

> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> Where to get assistance:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid
> until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy, visit the
> Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is
> available only in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP
> issues, visit the Help and Support site at
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173, and then choose
> your product.
>
> . US:
>
> . CA:
>
> . UK:
>
> . AU:
>
> . Other:
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
> select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
>

> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.

Thanks for your replies,
things are worse now...I booted the computer today and the blue screen
appeared after 5 seconds and then the pc rebooted.I got into the screen for
"safe mode" and "any previous good configuration" but when I selected any
option nothing happened.The computer keeps rebooting back to this page and I
cannot get to Windows long enough to delete SP3.
What can I do?
This service pack is very dangerous!

Servalan123 wrote:
|| "TaurArian" wrote:
||| How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
||| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
||| Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
||| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
||| Where to get assistance:
||| Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)
||| Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available
||| for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for
||| SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this
||| policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
||| http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail
||| support is available only in the United States and Canada. For all
||| other Windows XP issues, visit the Help and Support site at
||| http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173, and then
||| choose your product.
||| . US:
||| . CA:
||| . UK:
||| . AU:
||| . Other:
||| http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
||| select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
||| --
||| Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no
||| warranties or guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
|| Thanks for your replies,
|| things are worse now...I booted the computer today and the blue
|| screen appeared after 5 seconds and then the pc rebooted.I got into
|| the screen for "safe mode" and "any previous good configuration" but
|| when I selected any option nothing happened.The computer keeps
|| rebooting back to this page and I cannot get to Windows long enough
|| to delete SP3.
|| What can I do?
|| This service pack is very dangerous!

You'll have to use Method 4: Use Recovery Console
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

or contact MS for further assistance.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org