Monthly Security Release ISO image question

sammy

Monthly Security Release ISO image question
I will be doing a WinXP Home re-install on my aunt's computer next month.
They live in a rural area in another state with only dial-up connection. I
have the WinXP SP3 on a disc and see that MS has also released each monthly
(May to December 2008) Security Release as ISO image that I can download with
my high-speed and then burn to DVD, so that I can bring said updates with me
to install after the aunt's WinXP re-install and thereby avoid the
frustrating task of updating everything post SP3 via dial-up.

My question is: Do I need to download and burn each month's (May through
December) cumulative update, or does burning December's update cover all of
the previous month's updates back to SP3? The ISO files are gargantuan, and
even w. my high-speed, it is going to take a lot to download each month.
Which beats dial-up of course, but would rather avoid if possible. I am not
clear, however, that simply downloading and burning December 2008 security
release iso will cover everything. Thank you.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Monthly Security Release ISO image question
sammy wrote:
> I will be doing a WinXP Home re-install on my aunt's computer next
> month. They live in a rural area in another state with only dial-up
> connection. I have the WinXP SP3 on a disc and see that MS has
> also released each monthly (May to December 2008) Security Release
> as ISO image that I can download with my high-speed and then burn
> to DVD, so that I can bring said updates with me to install after
> the aunt's WinXP re-install and thereby avoid the frustrating task
> of updating everything post SP3 via dial-up.
>
> My question is: Do I need to download and burn each month's (May
> through December) cumulative update, or does burning December's
> update cover all of the previous month's updates back to SP3? The
> ISO files are gargantuan, and even w. my high-speed, it is going to
> take a lot to download each month. Which beats dial-up of course,
> but would rather avoid if possible. I am not clear, however, that
> simply downloading and burning December 2008 security release iso
> will cover everything. Thank you.

Each month...

Another way (which should take up less space)...
http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

Download them and burn to a single CD/DVD.

Each months DVD you would get from Microsoft contains just that month's
patches - but in every conceivable form/language/etc.

Other suggestion - get the following as well:
- Quicktime latest full install file
- Shockwave installation file
- Flash installation file
- Real Alternative installation file
- FireFox 3.0.5 installation file
- Whatever AV you are putting on her system (full installation file and
latest stand-alone update.)
- Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 11 Offline Installation file

If possible - have your Aunt download/install and run Belarc Advisor and
print the results out and *if possible* to a PDF or XPS or something that
she can email to you (even using Internet Explorer to save it to *.mht) so
that you can look over it and get even better prepared with hardware drivers
and such to bring with you. The paper printout she has will guarantee you
have the software product keys and such and could save you grief later on.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP