Windows XP SP2 contains a virus

SP2 Enemy

Windows XP SP2 contains a virus
I downloaded the SP2 as an update in Sept. and within the download, it
contained a trojan forcing you to purchase Anti-spyware software. It was the
worse trojan/virus I'd ever had. Almost lost my pc. Was able to repair and
reloaded windows xp SP1. Now, I'm trying to reinstall SP2 utilizing a very
strong Anti-virus software and it will not allow the download (all from
microsoft.com). It actually quarantined a trojan or two during the download
process. Is there a way to get sp3 without sp2 ???
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows XP SP2 contains a virus
SP2 Enemy wrote:
> I downloaded the SP2 as an update in Sept. and within the download,
> it contained a trojan forcing you to purchase Anti-spyware
> software. It was the worse trojan/virus I'd ever had. Almost lost
> my pc. Was able to repair and reloaded windows xp SP1. Now, I'm
> trying to reinstall SP2 utilizing a very strong Anti-virus software
> and it will not allow the download (all from microsoft.com). It
> actually quarantined a trojan or two during the download process.
> Is there a way to get sp3 without sp2 ???

Not sure where you are downloading these Service Packs - but if your AV
software is finding stuff - it must be the wrong place.

Sounds like you also may still be infested/infected.

Anyway - if you just want to legitimately download SP1, SP2 or SP3...

Ignore the message - it will work on a single installation, multiple
installations, for IT administrators, for Developers, for anyone who wants
to download it and run it on a system that needs it.

Windows XP SP1a for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)

Windows XP SP2 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)

Windows XP SP3 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)

Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Windows XP SP2 contains a virus
HOW TO get WinXP SP1 fully patched:

1. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

[Yes, you can skip WinXP SP2 altogether.]

2. Read & heed:

3. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (trust me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Additional References:

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

SP2 Enemy wrote:
> I downloaded the SP2 as an update in Sept. and within the download, it
> contained a trojan forcing you to purchase Anti-spyware software. It was
> the worse trojan/virus I'd ever had. Almost lost my pc. Was able to
> repair and reloaded windows xp SP1. Now, I'm trying to reinstall SP2
> utilizing a very strong Anti-virus software and it will not allow the
> download (all from microsoft.com). It actually quarantined a trojan or
> two
> during the download process. Is there a way to get sp3 without sp2 ???

Jason Warren

Re: Windows XP SP2 contains a virus
In article <C52AA446-13BD-4210-80D4-158BDBD36FD2@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-
8?B?U1AyIEVuZW15?= <SP2 Enemy@discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> Is there a way to get sp3 without sp2 ???

The service packs are cumulative. You don't need sp2 to get sp3. One
hopes that sp3 doesn't have the same malware imbedded...