The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU

robinb

The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU
this is to fix the critical flaw in ie
it is kb960714
robin

Dave Horne

Re: The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU

"robinb" <robinbk9@msn.com> wrote in message
> this is to fix the critical flaw in ie
> it is kb960714
> robin

Dave Horne

Re: The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU
This is interesting. I just downloaded and installed that security update
for IE7 and now my home computer can not get online. My wife's laptopn
which did not yet install that update and which uses the same router is
online. Just me?

"robinb" <robinbk9@msn.com> wrote in message
> this is to fix the critical flaw in ie
> it is kb960714
> robin

Jason Warren

Re: The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU
In article <eMuOlwHYJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, davehorne@home.nl
says...
> This is interesting. I just downloaded and installed that security update
> for IE7 and now my home computer can not get online. My wife's laptopn
> which did not yet install that update and which uses the same router is
> online. Just me?

Not just you! Happened to me as well and is driving me nuts.

An update notification (same one? not sure) has been sitting in the
systray for two days pestering me to install it. After I do, it's still
there. If I shut down, it tries to install again. And it's still there
in systray after a boot.

Something's broken...
robinb

Re: The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU
got me, did you reboot? because it requires a reboot
I just did it on 3 computers with no problems
but I did it on XP- have not done it yet on vista
robin

"Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
> This is interesting. I just downloaded and installed that security update
> for IE7 and now my home computer can not get online. My wife's laptopn
> which did not yet install that update and which uses the same router is
> online. Just me?
>

> "robinb" <robinbk9@msn.com> wrote in message
>> this is to fix the critical flaw in ie
>> it is kb960714
>> robin

Dave Horne

Re: The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU
A bit more info. I receive an error message that there are multiple
networks on the computer that cannot get online.

If worse comes to worse, I'll try and remove that update and\or rollback the
registry to before this.

"Jason Warren" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.23b31c0d397f527998968b@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> In article <eMuOlwHYJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, davehorne@home.nl
> says...
>> This is interesting. I just downloaded and installed that security
>> update
>> for IE7 and now my home computer can not get online. My wife's laptopn
>> which did not yet install that update and which uses the same router is
>> online. Just me?
>>

> Not just you! Happened to me as well and is driving me nuts.
>
> An update notification (same one? not sure) has been sitting in the
> systray for two days pestering me to install it. After I do, it's still
> there. If I shut down, it tries to install again. And it's still there
> in systray after a boot.
>
> Something's broken...

Dave Horne

Re: The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU
Yes, I was forced to do a reboot. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I tried a
reset (through Windows Network Diagnostics) and still nothing.

> got me, did you reboot? because it requires a reboot
> I just did it on 3 computers with no problems
> but I did it on XP- have not done it yet on vista
> robin
>
> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>> This is interesting. I just downloaded and installed that security
>> update for IE7 and now my home computer can not get online. My wife's
>> laptopn which did not yet install that update and which uses the same
>> router is online. Just me?
>>

>> "robinb" <robinbk9@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> this is to fix the critical flaw in ie
>>> it is kb960714
>>> robin

John

Re: The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU
I just manually installed it on Windows Server 2003. Didn't ask me to
restart. I can browse the web just fine. Next update will be my WinXP Pro.
Be back for the result.

"robinb" <robinbk9@msn.com> wrote in message
> got me, did you reboot? because it requires a reboot
> I just did it on 3 computers with no problems
> but I did it on XP- have not done it yet on vista
> robin
>
> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>> This is interesting. I just downloaded and installed that security
>> update for IE7 and now my home computer can not get online. My wife's
>> laptopn which did not yet install that update and which uses the same
>> router is online. Just me?
>>

>> "robinb" <robinbk9@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> this is to fix the critical flaw in ie
>>> it is kb960714
>>> robin

Dave Horne

Re: The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU
The problem is solved. I disable my network connection and then reenabled
it. That seemed to do the trick ... or it was just a coincidence.

I'll now attempt the update on the laptop.

I also received an error message before this stating - Unplug or disable one
of the active connections to try and solve the problem. At that time I
could not find where to disable anything. I manually removed the cables
from the router and modem, but only after disabling and reenabling the
network via Network was the solution. Sorry for not being more elequent.
It really would be great if the error messages that appear could be copied
using CTRL+C. I'm forced to write this down by hand (or do a screen shot).

Problem solved.

"robinb" <robinbk9@msn.com> wrote in message
> got me, did you reboot? because it requires a reboot
> I just did it on 3 computers with no problems
> but I did it on XP- have not done it yet on vista
> robin
>
> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>> This is interesting. I just downloaded and installed that security
>> update for IE7 and now my home computer can not get online. My wife's
>> laptopn which did not yet install that update and which uses the same
>> router is online. Just me?
>>

>> "robinb" <robinbk9@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> this is to fix the critical flaw in ie
>>> it is kb960714
>>> robin

Dave Horne

Re: The IE Critical Security Update is now up on WU
Two additional comments - I installed the update on my wife's laptop
(wireless), no problem.

My main computer is directly connected to a wireless router. The laptop is,
of course, a wireless connection.

OnN my main computer (_not_ the laptop), I now have an additional roundish
blue green icon in my System Tray that gives me absolutely no information
whatsoever. Anyone else have that? I assume this has something to do with
the IE7 update ... ?

At any rate, all is now fine.