WUAUCLT.EXE and 0x76c941a9 error

cardnut

WUAUCLT.EXE and 0x76c941a9 error
Recently I removed OneCare from my PC. Ever since then I have been getting
this 0x76c941a9 error on the auauclt.exe program. No mstter what I try to do,
I can't get any Windows updates to work. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Cardnut

Re: WUAUCLT.EXE and 0x76c941a9 error
posting to this newsgroup.

And what anti-virus application is installed now?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

cardnut wrote:
> Recently I removed OneCare from my PC. Ever since then I have been getting
> this 0x76c941a9 error on the auauclt.exe program. No mstter what I try to
> do, I can't get any Windows updates to work. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cardnut

cardnut

Re: WUAUCLT.EXE and 0x76c941a9 error
Sorry about that.

WinXP SP3. The anti virus is Cyber Defender.

cardnut

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> And what anti-virus application is installed now?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> cardnut wrote:
> > Recently I removed OneCare from my PC. Ever since then I have been getting
> > this 0x76c941a9 error on the auauclt.exe program. No mstter what I try to
> > do, I can't get any Windows updates to work. Can anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cardnut

Re: WUAUCLT.EXE and 0x76c941a9 error
Thanks. Assuming this is a sudden, new problem, there's a very strong
possibility that it's being caused by a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

cardnut wrote:
> Sorry about that.
>
> WinXP SP3. The anti virus is Cyber Defender.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> And what anti-virus application is installed now?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> cardnut wrote:
>>> Recently I removed OneCare from my PC. Ever since then I have been
>>> getting
>>> this 0x76c941a9 error on the auauclt.exe program. No mstter what I try
>>> do, I can't get any Windows updates to work. Can anyone help?

cardnut

Re: WUAUCLT.EXE and 0x76c941a9 error
Yes this is a new problem. But it did it right after I removed Onecare.

I followed the first thing you said to do - Run MRST manually.

I did.

I got the same instruction error 0x76c941a9 on MRT.exe.

How bad is it now?

cardnut

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Thanks. Assuming this is a sudden, new problem, there's a very strong
> possibility that it's being caused by a hijackware infection.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> cardnut wrote:
> > Sorry about that.
> >
> > WinXP SP3. The anti virus is Cyber Defender.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> And what anti-virus application is installed now?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: WUAUCLT.EXE and 0x76c941a9 error
Bad enough. Skip to #3. Use a non-infected computer (that's NOT connected
to any network) do download your tools and post to the forum.

Repost:
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting

NB: If the machine's on a network and you've got a DNS.Changer infection,
you MUST clean ALL machines AND Reset or Reinstall the router, else the
machine will be reinfected within seconds.

Good luck.