Unable to install KB954606

Walter M. Becker

Unable to install KB954606
After downloading the update I was unable to install Security Update for SQL
Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB954606)
--
Walter M. Becker
Daren Tanner

RE: Unable to install KB954606
I have had this install sitting in my task tray for months now. It just dies
when I try to run it. It keeps asking me whether I want to install it
whenever I shut down. I'm using Windows XP Professional. I had a go'round
with MS support a few months ago, but the tech wasn't much help. Anyone have
any ideas?

Daren Tanner

"Walter M. Becker" wrote:

> After downloading the update I was unable to install Security Update for SQL
> Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB954606)
> --
> Walter M. Becker

Joe

RE: Unable to install KB954606
I've had the same problem. No luck yet getting it installed.

"Daren Tanner" wrote:

> I have had this install sitting in my task tray for months now. It just dies
> when I try to run it. It keeps asking me whether I want to install it
> whenever I shut down. I'm using Windows XP Professional. I had a go'round
> with MS support a few months ago, but the tech wasn't much help. Anyone have
> any ideas?
>
> Daren Tanner
>
> "Walter M. Becker" wrote:
>
> > After downloading the update I was unable to install Security Update for SQL
> > Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB954606)
> > --
> > Walter M. Becker

inungh

On Dec 18, 8:44*am, Joe <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I've had the same problem. No luck yet getting it installed.
>

> "Daren Tanner" wrote:
> > I have had this install sitting in my task tray for months now. *It just dies
> > when I try to run it. *It keeps asking me whether I want to install it
> > whenever I shut down. I'm using Windows XP Professional. *I had a go'round
> > with MS support a few months ago, but the tech wasn't much help. *Anyone have
> > any ideas?

> > Daren Tanner

> > "Walter M. Becker" wrote:

> > > After downloading the update I was unable to install Security Update for SQL
> > > Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB954606)
> > > --
> > > Walter M. Becker- Hide quoted text -

I have same problem.

Any one can help?

tominabq

Re: Unable to install KB954606

I too am experiencing this issue. Is there any way to disable it? It
is very annoying.

I appreciate anyone who may be able to shed light on this.

--
tominabq
tominabq's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/tominabq.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Drix

RE: Unable to install KB954606
I have had problems with this update for a long time too. I have WINXP PRO
and OFFICE 2007 w/Business Contact Manager for Outlook. I have read many
posts and spent many days on this with no results. I am now confused and
frustrated and pretty overwhelmed.

After many failtures for the whole SP2 auto download (which doesn't work) I
have (as instructed) downloaded the HOT FIX KB954606 to shorten time between
failed install attempts and still to no avail.
When run, it asks me to UNLOCK the SQL - so I turn it off - then it fails,
and the error log ends saying it can't update it because it is NOT RUNNING.
(sigh...)

BTW I can't find the Remote Registry Service, so I found (in Program Menu
under SQL) the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration to start and stop it.
Again with not results.

I am very ready to discover the fix, and fix it and found others with
problems almost like mine here. I hope someone can help me and the solution
helps others too. Thanx, Drix

Here's an exerpt from end of install lot:
LOG: SQL Express Features :
Error Number : 29565
Error Description : MSP Error: 29565 SQL Server Setup cannot
upgrade the specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete.
Start the Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the
Change button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL instance
MSSMLBIZ and complete the setup.
--

"Walter M. Becker" wrote:

> After downloading the update I was unable to install Security Update for SQL
> Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB954606)
> --
> Walter M. Becker

estli

Re: Unable to install KB954606

I was experiencing the same problem. I was able to finally install the
patch after changing the compression setting on my MSSQL folder.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server -> Folder Properties -> General
Tab -> Advanced

Toggled off "Compress contents to save disk space".

I first attempted to "repair" my MSSQL 2005 install but the repair
initially failed due to the folder being compressed. After removing
compression the repair completed. I do not know if this repair/ install
completion step was required but I this is what worked for me.

--
estli
estli's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/estli.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1089199.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Drix

RE: Unable to install KB954606
I have since made some headway with this, thanks to having a very smart pal
called SPARKY. I had noticed when going through my control panel - add
remove pgms - that I could not repair nor remove the MSXML 6.0 parser. I
noted it was hung up because of an incomplete install. So, through this same
screen, I un-installed ALL of the Microsoft SQL Server listings and then used
the Windows program un-installer to specifically remove the MSXML 6.0
program. Here's a link to it.

I then re-installed OFFICE 2007 (both disks) and noticed it had NOT
re-installed any SQL servers. (whew) So in frustration I installed the
downloaded full SQL server kit (file named SQLEXPR_ADV.exe) and updated,
again, the MSXML 60 from
and it seems to work better now and my OFFICE 2007 outlook, seems to be
faster and not lag as much.
The only odd thing now is that it keeps downloading the SQL service pack SP2
over and over and over again but this time it doesn't announce that it won't
work. But the rest works good. Whew, I hope this helps you too.
DRIX