Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
Teflon
 

Posts: n/a
XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
Finally bit the bullet and installed SP3. Went with out a hitch
(maybe), but now I can't print to an HP LaserJet 4 connected to LPT1.
No blinking lights, nothing in the printer's Pending Document log.
Nada. Have deleted and reinstalled both the port and the printer, but
no happiness in WhoVille.

Can print to an Epson InkJet connected via the USB, but the old
LaserJet is irritatingly silent. Would like to have it working again,
have tons of toner, and ink is expensive.

So, any suggestions as to what to check, do, get would be
appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
What does HP Support have to say about this?

Teflon wrote:
> Finally bit the bullet and installed SP3. Went with out a hitch
> (maybe), but now I can't print to an HP LaserJet 4 connected to LPT1.
> No blinking lights, nothing in the printer's Pending Document log.
> Nada. Have deleted and reinstalled both the port and the printer, but
> no happiness in WhoVille.
>
> Can print to an Epson InkJet connected via the USB, but the old
> LaserJet is irritatingly silent. Would like to have it working again,
> have tons of toner, and ink is expensive.
>
> So, any suggestions as to what to check, do, get would be
> appreciated.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
JS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
The LaserJet 4 most likely relied on the built in Windows XP drivers.
Try uninstalling the printer driver.
Shutdown the PC and disconnect the printer.
Reboot XP (with printer disconnected)
Shut down the computer.
Reconnect the printer and see if Windows detects the printer
and offers to install a driver.

JS
http://www.pagestart.com


"Teflon" <spambaitmeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f5a67c99-b297-4793-9263-e1e7c81bc744@35g2000pry.googlegroups.com...
> Finally bit the bullet and installed SP3. Went with out a hitch
> (maybe), but now I can't print to an HP LaserJet 4 connected to LPT1.
> No blinking lights, nothing in the printer's Pending Document log.
> Nada. Have deleted and reinstalled both the port and the printer, but
> no happiness in WhoVille.
>
> Can print to an Epson InkJet connected via the USB, but the old
> LaserJet is irritatingly silent. Would like to have it working again,
> have tons of toner, and ink is expensive.
>
> So, any suggestions as to what to check, do, get would be
> appreciated.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
I have an old HP LaserJet 4L connected via LPT1 and running WinXP SP3 Pro and
IE7 etc and have no problems.

My first thought would be the cable attached to the printer and/or power to
the printer.

Unfortunately the old HP LaserJet's printer cable is part of the printer.

K

--
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.



"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What does HP Support have to say about this?
>
> Teflon wrote:
> > Finally bit the bullet and installed SP3. Went with out a hitch
> > (maybe), but now I can't print to an HP LaserJet 4 connected to LPT1.
> > No blinking lights, nothing in the printer's Pending Document log.
> > Nada. Have deleted and reinstalled both the port and the printer, but
> > no happiness in WhoVille.
> >
> > Can print to an Epson InkJet connected via the USB, but the old
> > LaserJet is irritatingly silent. Would like to have it working again,
> > have tons of toner, and ink is expensive.
> >
> > So, any suggestions as to what to check, do, get would be
> > appreciated.

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2009
Teflon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
On Dec 16 2008, 2:18*pm, TaurArian <taurar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an old HP LaserJet 4L connected via LPT1 and running WinXP SP3 Proand
> IE7 etc and have no problems.
>
> My first thought would be the cable attached to the printer and/or power to
> the printer.
>
> Unfortunately the old HP LaserJet's printer cable is part of the printer.
>
> K
>
> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>
>
> > What does HP Support have to say about this?


You are joking, right? Most of HP's support folks (if they respond)
have never heard of the LaserJet 4, let alone know anything about
troubleshooting a problem. Like asking a new IBMer about a 1401 or a
1600, or a RAMAC 305. That's why I came to this NG, hoping some old
codgers like me could advise me.

Anyway, I have gotten this printer to work via an involved process of
uninstalling and reinstalling the printer's drivers and the LPT1 port,
and purging the PRINTER Spool Queue. I can then print from a CMD
prompt and all applications, for awhile. However, after it has been
sitting idle for awhile, nothing gets to it. When I try to print a
Test Page, I see a '1' briefly in that printer's Document Print Queue,
but then that turns to '0' Documents, but there are now two file in
the PRINTER Spool Queue, 'FP00006.SPL' and FP00006.SHD. The Event
Viewer log lists several entries that indicate this printer was
deleted and then and entry with an Event ID of 6161, Win32 Error Code
of 2(0x2).

I then go back through the whole uninstall, reboot, reinstall, purge
routine and it works again, for awhile, and then again, nothing.

This printer works fine on my Win98 machine and my wife's XP Pro
machine, so I know the printer and the separate cable are OK, that
it's something wrong in my machine. Ran SFC, and all is OK there.

Tried searching the MSFT Knowledge base, but can not find anything
specific to this problem.

My USB connected printer works just fine.

Ideas??

This all started after I installed SP3.

A separate issue, but tied to the SP3 install, after the install,
Kaspersky AV started acting weird. For no apparent reason (no auto
scans are scheduled) it periodically starts scanning the entire system
and brings everything to a dismal crawl for several hours. Impossible
to get it to stop by 'normal' means. Kaspersky is going bye-bye. Any
reason to believe that Kas has anything to do with the printer problem?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2009
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
Teflon wrote:
: On Dec 16 2008, 2:18 pm, TaurArian <taurar...@gmail.com> wrote:
:: I have an old HP LaserJet 4L connected via LPT1 and running WinXP
:: SP3 Pro and IE7 etc and have no problems.
::
:: My first thought would be the cable attached to the printer and/or
:: power to the printer.
::
:: Unfortunately the old HP LaserJet's printer cable is part of the
:: printer.
::
:: K
::
:: --
:: Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no
:: warranties or guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
::
:: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
::
::
::
::: What does HP Support have to say about this?
:
: You are joking, right? Most of HP's support folks (if they respond)
: have never heard of the LaserJet 4, let alone know anything about
: troubleshooting a problem. Like asking a new IBMer about a 1401 or a
: 1600, or a RAMAC 305. That's why I came to this NG, hoping some old
: codgers like me could advise me.
:
: Anyway, I have gotten this printer to work via an involved process of
: uninstalling and reinstalling the printer's drivers and the LPT1 port,
: and purging the PRINTER Spool Queue. I can then print from a CMD
: prompt and all applications, for awhile. However, after it has been
: sitting idle for awhile, nothing gets to it. When I try to print a
: Test Page, I see a '1' briefly in that printer's Document Print Queue,
: but then that turns to '0' Documents, but there are now two file in
: the PRINTER Spool Queue, 'FP00006.SPL' and FP00006.SHD. The Event
: Viewer log lists several entries that indicate this printer was
: deleted and then and entry with an Event ID of 6161, Win32 Error Code
: of 2(0x2).
:
: I then go back through the whole uninstall, reboot, reinstall, purge
: routine and it works again, for awhile, and then again, nothing.
:
: This printer works fine on my Win98 machine and my wife's XP Pro
: machine, so I know the printer and the separate cable are OK, that
: it's something wrong in my machine. Ran SFC, and all is OK there.
:
: Tried searching the MSFT Knowledge base, but can not find anything
: specific to this problem.
:
: My USB connected printer works just fine.
:
: Ideas??
:
: This all started after I installed SP3.
:
: A separate issue, but tied to the SP3 install, after the install,
: Kaspersky AV started acting weird. For no apparent reason (no auto
: scans are scheduled) it periodically starts scanning the entire system
: and brings everything to a dismal crawl for several hours. Impossible
: to get it to stop by 'normal' means. Kaspersky is going bye-bye. Any
: reason to believe that Kas has anything to do with the printer
: problem?


Suggest you uninstall SP3 -
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249


Now make sure everything is running perfectly before trying to install SP3
again. Make sure printer driver is installed and the old HP working
correctly, make sure you have the latest program release for Kaspersky etc.
Make sure all updates are done up to that point.

Then reinstall SP3 (do a WU scan to make sure SP3 is then being reoffered)
and then install SP3 from the full file (download links available below).

My old HP must be approximately 14 years old and it's working well using
only the Windows XP drivers.

Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you
install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers (Single installations for PCs can use the same file)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2009
Blayne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
I haven't figured out what exactly the culprit is but, deleting the printer,
deleting the drivers for that printer then reinstalling the printer fixed my
issues.

"JS" wrote:

> The LaserJet 4 most likely relied on the built in Windows XP drivers.
> Try uninstalling the printer driver.
> Shutdown the PC and disconnect the printer.
> Reboot XP (with printer disconnected)
> Shut down the computer.
> Reconnect the printer and see if Windows detects the printer
> and offers to install a driver.
>
> JS
> http://www.pagestart.com
>
>
> "Teflon" <spambaitmeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f5a67c99-b297-4793-9263-e1e7c81bc744@35g2000pry.googlegroups.com...
> > Finally bit the bullet and installed SP3. Went with out a hitch
> > (maybe), but now I can't print to an HP LaserJet 4 connected to LPT1.
> > No blinking lights, nothing in the printer's Pending Document log.
> > Nada. Have deleted and reinstalled both the port and the printer, but
> > no happiness in WhoVille.
> >
> > Can print to an Epson InkJet connected via the USB, but the old
> > LaserJet is irritatingly silent. Would like to have it working again,
> > have tons of toner, and ink is expensive.
> >
> > So, any suggestions as to what to check, do, get would be
> > appreciated.

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-25-2009
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
rodm is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
Similar problem (printer output looked like magnified/distorted image) with XP SP3 on Dell Latitude D610 was resolved thusly:-
1. Turn off HP Laser Jet 4L (leave it plugged in systemm).
2. Use the 'Device Manager' to remove the "ECP Printer Port (LPT1).
3. Close all dialogues.
4. Switch on printer and let XP install "new hardware device".
5. good to go!
rodm d:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
I haven't figured out what exactly the culprit is but, deleting the printer,
deleting the drivers for that printer then reinstalling the printer fixed my
issues.

"JS" wrote:

> The LaserJet 4 most likely relied on the built in Windows XP drivers.
> Try uninstalling the printer driver.
> Shutdown the PC and disconnect the printer.
> Reboot XP (with printer disconnected)
> Shut down the computer.
> Reconnect the printer and see if Windows detects the printer
> and offers to install a driver.
>
> JS
> Windows XP Articles and Random Thoughts
>
>
> "Teflon" <spambaitmeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f5a67c99-b297-4793-9263-e1e7c81bc744@35g2000pry.googlegroups.com...
> > Finally bit the bullet and installed SP3. Went with out a hitch
> > (maybe), but now I can't print to an HP LaserJet 4 connected to LPT1.
> > No blinking lights, nothing in the printer's Pending Document log.
> > Nada. Have deleted and reinstalled both the port and the printer, but
> > no happiness in WhoVille.
> >
> > Can print to an Epson InkJet connected via the USB, but the old
> > LaserJet is irritatingly silent. Would like to have it working again,
> > have tons of toner, and ink is expensive.
> >
> > So, any suggestions as to what to check, do, get would be
> > appreciated.
>
>
>
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009
LadyRob
 

Posts: n/a
RE: XP Pro, SP3, LPT1, HP LaserJet, Printer problem
Have same problem, please help!!

LadyRob


flon" wrote:

> Finally bit the bullet and installed SP3. Went with out a hitch
> (maybe), but now I can't print to an HP LaserJet 4 connected to LPT1.
> No blinking lights, nothing in the printer's Pending Document log.
> Nada. Have deleted and reinstalled both the port and the printer, but
> no happiness in WhoVille.
>
> Can print to an Epson InkJet connected via the USB, but the old
> LaserJet is irritatingly silent. Would like to have it working again,
> have tons of toner, and ink is expensive.
>
> So, any suggestions as to what to check, do, get would be
> appreciated.
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HP Laserjet 1020 printer problem in Vista greatchap microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 2 11-22-2008 20:57
Vista and HP LaserJet printer. PVR microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 9 04-02-2008 23:06
no printer driver for hp laserjet 4l david microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 02-18-2008 15:16
Problem with shared Laserjet printer ritmeester microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 5 02-13-2008 20:43
LPT1: DOS program problem Paul H microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 04-20-2007 23:44




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:43.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120