Black Screen

spartney

Black Screen
On Saturday when I shut off the puter it ran the Auto Update. I have Windows
XP. On Sunday when I turned it on the screen showed the Micro Soft logo as
usual then just went black. The cursur arrow is the only thing visible. Any
clues on what happened? Thank you for any ideas on how to correct this.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Black Screen
(cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
"spartney" <spartney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EB12C89-1260-443C-AC21-78BB9890D54D@microsoft.com...
> On Saturday when I shut off the puter it ran the Auto Update. I have Windows
> XP. On Sunday when I turned it on the screen showed the Micro Soft logo as
> usual then just went black. The cursur arrow is the only thing visible.

> Any clues on what happened?

Is black the normal color of your Desktop?
Perhaps explorer.exe crashed?
Try to start Task Manager and see.
E.g. press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, etc.

> Thank you for any ideas on how to correct this.

Do you have an alternate boot for that partition?
E.g. if you have one with /basevideo /sos as boot switches
you could find out whether it was a problem with your video driver
or other driver. Supposedly /sos can list the drivers as they are
loaded.

BTW even though you may see AU as the cause of this difficulty
this newsgroup isn't really the best place to go for help with such
startup problems. Cross-posting to an XP specific newsgroup.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: Black Screen
Any idea which updates were installed?
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

spartney wrote:
> On Saturday when I shut off the puter it ran the Auto Update. I have
> Windows
> XP. On Sunday when I turned it on the screen showed the Micro Soft logo
> as
> usual then just went black. The cursur arrow is the only thing visible.
> Any clues on what happened? Thank you for any ideas on how to correct
> this.

spartney

Re: Black Screen
No, I have no idea. Thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Any idea which updates were installed?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> spartney wrote:
> > On Saturday when I shut off the puter it ran the Auto Update. I have
> > Windows
> > XP. On Sunday when I turned it on the screen showed the Micro Soft logo
> > as
> > usual then just went black. The cursur arrow is the only thing visible.
> > Any clues on what happened? Thank you for any ideas on how to correct
> > this.

spartney

Re: Black Screen
No the desk top is a picture. When I said black screen, I meant that the
whole monitor screen is black and know matter what buttons you push there is
nothing but the cursor. I tried the alt,ctl,delete but with a black sceeen I
can't see the task manager. Thanks

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
> "spartney" <spartney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EB12C89-1260-443C-AC21-78BB9890D54D@microsoft.com...
> > On Saturday when I shut off the puter it ran the Auto Update. I have Windows
> > XP. On Sunday when I turned it on the screen showed the Micro Soft logo as
> > usual then just went black. The cursur arrow is the only thing visible.

> > Any clues on what happened?

> Is black the normal color of your Desktop?
> Perhaps explorer.exe crashed?
> Try to start Task Manager and see.
> E.g. press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, etc.
>

> > Thank you for any ideas on how to correct this.

> Do you have an alternate boot for that partition?
> E.g. if you have one with /basevideo /sos as boot switches
> you could find out whether it was a problem with your video driver
> or other driver. Supposedly /sos can list the drivers as they are
> loaded.
>
> BTW even though you may see AU as the cause of this difficulty
> this newsgroup isn't really the best place to go for help with such
> startup problems. Cross-posting to an XP specific newsgroup.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Gerry

Re: Black Screen
spartney

If you can gain access System Restore might be an option.

Have you tried safe mode?

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us

What do you have by way of a Windows XP CD?

What is the computer make and model?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

spartney wrote:
> No the desk top is a picture. When I said black screen, I meant that
> the whole monitor screen is black and know matter what buttons you
> push there is nothing but the cursor. I tried the alt,ctl,delete but
> with a black sceeen I can't see the task manager. Thanks
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
>> "spartney" <spartney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> On Saturday when I shut off the puter it ran the Auto Update. I
>>> have Windows XP. On Sunday when I turned it on the screen showed
>>> the Micro Soft logo as usual then just went black. The cursur
>>> arrow is the only thing visible.

>>> Any clues on what happened?

>> Is black the normal color of your Desktop?
>> Perhaps explorer.exe crashed?
>> Try to start Task Manager and see.
>> E.g. press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, etc.
>>

>>> Thank you for any ideas on how to correct this.

>> Do you have an alternate boot for that partition?
>> E.g. if you have one with /basevideo /sos as boot switches
>> you could find out whether it was a problem with your video driver
>> or other driver. Supposedly /sos can list the drivers as they are
>> loaded.
>>
>> BTW even though you may see AU as the cause of this difficulty
>> this newsgroup isn't really the best place to go for help with such
>> startup problems. Cross-posting to an XP specific newsgroup.
>>

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

nass

Re: Black Screen

Try To log into safe Mode and Restore the system to an earlier date/point.
or Last good known configuration and see if that will help and get the error
messages from the event viewer.

My guess your system may be overheated and you need to change the CPU
thermal component, it may burnt and not cooling the system enough!
Also losse connection to and from the motherboard to the HDD.
HTH,
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

"spartney" wrote:

> No the desk top is a picture. When I said black screen, I meant that the
> whole monitor screen is black and know matter what buttons you push there is
> nothing but the cursor. I tried the alt,ctl,delete but with a black sceeen I
> can't see the task manager. Thanks
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
> > (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
> > "spartney" <spartney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EB12C89-1260-443C-AC21-78BB9890D54D@microsoft.com...
> > > On Saturday when I shut off the puter it ran the Auto Update. I have Windows
> > > XP. On Sunday when I turned it on the screen showed the Micro Soft logo as
> > > usual then just went black. The cursur arrow is the only thing visible.

> > > Any clues on what happened?

> > Is black the normal color of your Desktop?
> > Perhaps explorer.exe crashed?
> > Try to start Task Manager and see.
> > E.g. press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, etc.
> >

> > > Thank you for any ideas on how to correct this.

> > Do you have an alternate boot for that partition?
> > E.g. if you have one with /basevideo /sos as boot switches
> > you could find out whether it was a problem with your video driver
> > or other driver. Supposedly /sos can list the drivers as they are
> > loaded.
> >
> > BTW even though you may see AU as the cause of this difficulty
> > this newsgroup isn't really the best place to go for help with such
> > startup problems. Cross-posting to an XP specific newsgroup.
> >

> > Good luck
> >
> > Robert Aldwinckle
> > ---

Gerry

Re: Black Screen
Nass

It could be something far more widespread
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l... &btnG=Search

--

Gerry
~~~~

Gerry

Re: Black Screen
spartney

Try Enable VGA mode

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry wrote:
> spartney
>
> If you can gain access System Restore might be an option.
>
> Have you tried safe mode?
>
> Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?
> A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
>
> What do you have by way of a Windows XP CD?
>
> What is the computer make and model?
>

> spartney wrote:
>> No the desk top is a picture. When I said black screen, I meant that
>> the whole monitor screen is black and know matter what buttons you
>> push there is nothing but the cursor. I tried the alt,ctl,delete but
>> with a black sceeen I can't see the task manager. Thanks
>>
>> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>>
>>> (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
>>> "spartney" <spartney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Is black the normal color of your Desktop?
>>> Perhaps explorer.exe crashed?
>>> Try to start Task Manager and see.
>>> E.g. press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, etc.

>>> Do you have an alternate boot for that partition?
>>> E.g. if you have one with /basevideo /sos as boot switches
>>> you could find out whether it was a problem with your video driver
>>> or other driver. Supposedly /sos can list the drivers as they
>>> are loaded.
>>>
>>> BTW even though you may see AU as the cause of this difficulty
>>> this newsgroup isn't really the best place to go for help with such
>>> startup problems. Cross-posting to an XP specific newsgroup.
>>>

>>> Good luck
>>>
>>> Robert Aldwinckle
>>> ---

nass

Re: Black Screen

Hi Gerry,
I think you might be right,. I think it could be a crippled hardware drivers
not compatible with windows updates!
Or I hear there is a new virus for Santa this Christams going around on the
slay LOL.
I seen it in the past with overheating system and replaced the Thermal
component and that solved the issue. Also with a boot sector virus which
realy got the best out of me <G>