ie7 fails again

Adrenochrome

ie7 fails again
Having avoided using ie7 for ages, due to its bugs and instability, I was
advised these issues were sorted. However, it has failed again since Friday
when my automatic
update polluted my computer, not only is my explorer horribly slow, freezing
and disconnecting at will, but it doesn't appear in my 'Change or Remove
programs' section. Also, according to that zone, my internet explorer is
"used occassionally" and hasn't been activated since 28/10/2008 despite being
used daily.
I do use Norton (Internet Security 2008 - System Builder Edition), but can't
remove and re-add when the update is hiding. As
this is only 1 of 5 updates downloaded automatically by Microsoft at the
same time - I can't be sure
which of the 5 definitely went haywire! Everything was working 100% till the
automatic update, and Norton did not update anything on Friday.I use Windows
XP SP3. Additionally, when using the search facility under my start bar, and
searching for KB958215, no less than 7 files are found (1 text document, 2
folders, 1 shortcut & 3 Security Catalogues dated 16/10/2008!)
Help, in simple English, please

Re: ie7 fails again
Thanks for beginning a new thread.

Did you upgrade to NIS 2008 from an earlier Norton application/version? Was
a Norton free-trial preinstalled on the machine when you bought it?

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking the Norton Firewall settings don't help, try the following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable the Norton Firewall AND THEN enable the Windows
Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled!

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=====================================

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Adrenochrome wrote:
> Having avoided using ie7 for ages, due to its bugs and instability, I was
> advised these issues were sorted. However, it has failed again since
> Friday
> when my automatic
> update polluted my computer, not only is my explorer horribly slow,
> freezing
> and disconnecting at will, but it doesn't appear in my 'Change or Remove
> programs' section. Also, according to that zone, my internet explorer is
> "used occassionally" and hasn't been activated since 28/10/2008 despite
> being used daily.
> I do use Norton (Internet Security 2008 - System Builder Edition), but
> can't
> remove and re-add when the update is hiding. As
> this is only 1 of 5 updates downloaded automatically by Microsoft at the
> same time - I can't be sure
> which of the 5 definitely went haywire! Everything was working 100% till
> the
> automatic update, and Norton did not update anything on Friday.I use
> Windows
> XP SP3. Additionally, when using the search facility under my start bar,
> and
> searching for KB958215, no less than 7 files are found (1 text document, 2
> folders, 1 shortcut & 3 Security Catalogues dated 16/10/2008!)
> Help, in simple English, please

Adrenochrome

Re: ie7 fails again
No, the Norton was not preinstalled or updated, it was loaded from new.

Will attempt the process. Thanks