VISTA Automatic Restart

Hated By Technology

VISTA Automatic Restart
Does anyone else have the problem of VISTA automatically restarting the
computer to install updates without permission? This time I didn't even
click to install the updates hoping it would keep it from restarting
unexpectedly. For me, if you put it in hibernate or sleep mode it will
restart no matter what you have running. If it is a notepad file or some
other non-auto saving program, the file is gone forever. Some things are not
possible to get into if they are reopened, say a test, and it has overcome me
multiple times in the last few months. I also think part of it is being
controlled by the network, so I can't change the updates to not be
automatically checked. Anyone with answers is greatly appreciated!

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: VISTA Automatic Restart
Hated By Technology wrote:

> Does anyone else have the problem of VISTA automatically restarting the
> computer to install updates without permission? This time I didn't even
> click to install the updates hoping it would keep it from restarting
> unexpectedly. For me, if you put it in hibernate or sleep mode it will
> restart no matter what you have running. If it is a notepad file or some
> other non-auto saving program, the file is gone forever. Some things are not
> possible to get into if they are reopened, say a test, and it has overcome me
> multiple times in the last few months. I also think part of it is being
> controlled by the network, so I can't change the updates to not be
> automatically checked. Anyone with answers is greatly appreciated!

If you can't change the Automatic Updates configuration, either your machine is
misconfigured or it is part of a managed network. If the latter, you need to
talk to whoever is in charge of the network.

Harry.
RGrahamSmith

RE: VISTA Automatic Restart
I have also got this problem with 32-bit Vista Home Basic (Not on a network),
every time I start a session. Blank window with Windows Updates. Unable to
change anything. Always says "updates not configured correctly" after
restarting, then restarts again. Can't stop it. Any ideas/solutions?