Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...

Tom F.

Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
I run Windows Update frequently ... at a minimum once a month. Invariably my
computer is checked for the "latest version of the Windows Update software"
and invariably my computer does not have the "latest version of the Windows
Update software" and so it is downloaded and installed.

On a scale of 0 to 10 on the annoyance scale this rates a mere 0.5. But
what's going on? Can't Microsoft get it right? Years and years go by and I
envision a boiler room full of programmers chained to tables and working on
nothing but new versions of Windows Update Software. Every month without
fail a new version.

Or is my AVG deleting it and thereby necessitating a new download every time
I run Windows Update?

Anyone know why every update needs its own update software installed first?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
Go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Download the Windows Update Agent from the links under " More
Information " and *save* it.
Or, download it from the links here and *save* it.:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172

Read the instructions on how to install it or print the above page out.
Disconnect the system from the network/internet.
Completely disable AVG from *all* monitoring of the system. This
includes everything that loads on startup and *all* processes of it.
Install the WUA using the steps on the blog.
Restart the system.

*** REenable AVG prior to reconnecting the system ***

See what happens when you do a manual visit to Windows Update.
Is that message gone now ?
If so, then it was AVG preventing the update software components from
being updated successfully.

If not, which firewall is being used ?
Is there any other anti-malware software installed that actively
monitors the system ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Tom F. wrote:

> I run Windows Update frequently ... at a minimum once a month. Invariably my
> computer is checked for the "latest version of the Windows Update software"
> and invariably my computer does not have the "latest version of the Windows
> Update software" and so it is downloaded and installed.
>
> On a scale of 0 to 10 on the annoyance scale this rates a mere 0.5. But
> what's going on? Can't Microsoft get it right? Years and years go by and I
> envision a boiler room full of programmers chained to tables and working on
> nothing but new versions of Windows Update Software. Every month without
> fail a new version.
>
> Or is my AVG deleting it and thereby necessitating a new download every time
> I run Windows Update?
>
> Anyone know why every update needs its own update software installed first?

Gis Bun

RE: Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
It's normal to check for it. As for an update every time you check for
updates is a bit weird.