Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text

Tratcher

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
Hmm. Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't fix the problem, but it did lead
me towards the solution.

I followed your directions as close as possible. (I generally used the UI
rather than command line, but the result is the same.) The UI didn't get any
better, and the actual windows update system stopped working.

I then went to remove your fix using the shadow copy rollback option on each
file. (I'd checked for shadow copies before and had not found any.) Once
all the files had been reverted to their previous state, everything started
working again!

Theories: I had some disk corruption issues a few weeks ago, about when all
this broke. I bet one of these files got corrupted. I think windows
wouldn't show me a shadow copy because it didn't think anything had actually
changed. By replacing the files it let me then access good shadow copies
that I used to fix the system. I also suspect your fix would have worked for
me if I had not used a SP0 installer disk to try repairing an SP1
instillation.

Hint: I believe this could be done without safe mode by skipping the files
that are currently in use (that won't allow overwriting). When I rolled back
I did the easy files first and the UI started working (after restarting the
service).

Thanks!