Cannot access Windows Update

WeBBy4713

Cannot access Windows Update
This is like really weird...
First noticed that my Live Search was messed up - first page is essentially
spam. Then noticed that Defender would not update. Then realized that I
cannot even get to the Windows Update website. For example, if I go to:
http://update.microsoft.com/, or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/, I just
go to msn.com. Even clicking on the Windows Update under Programs, I just go
to msn.com.
Can't update if can't go to update site.!!!!!
Sispect some sort of screwy spyware or something but can find nothing on the
subject. Yes, have rebooted, cleared cache, etc to no avail.

Anyonre have any idea??

Thanx
Engel

RE: Cannot access Windows Update
Hello WeBBy4713,

The symptoms you describe indicate that a malware known as
Vundo\Virtumonde is resident. Using Internet Explorer, have the system
scanned here: <http://onecare.live.com/site/en-au/center/howsafe.htm>

Several posters in this newsgroup have reported that the malware was
successfully removed using the above scanner.

You can use Google to find it if the OneCare scan doesn't remove it.

Others have used Superantispyware and/or Malwarebytes Antimalware to remove
the malware.

There is a free version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
includes active monitoring, similar to Windows defender:
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
The trial version of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (SAS):
<http://www.su

Also free, Malwarebytes Antimalware <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>

Good luck
-=-

"WeBBy4713" wrote:

> This is like really weird...
> First noticed that my Live Search was messed up - first page is essentially
> spam. Then noticed that Defender would not update. Then realized that I
> cannot even get to the Windows Update website. For example, if I go to:
> http://update.microsoft.com/, or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/, I just
> go to msn.com. Even clicking on the Windows Update under Programs, I just go
> to msn.com.
> Can't update if can't go to update site.!!!!!
> Sispect some sort of screwy spyware or something but can find nothing on the
> subject. Yes, have rebooted, cleared cache, etc to no avail.
>
> Anyonre have any idea??
>
> Thanx

Re: Cannot access Windows Update
There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

WeBBy4713 wrote:
> This is like really weird...
> First noticed that my Live Search was messed up - first page is
> essentially
> spam. Then noticed that Defender would not update. Then realized that I
> cannot even get to the Windows Update website. For example, if I go to:
> http://update.microsoft.com/, or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/, I
> just
> go to msn.com. Even clicking on the Windows Update under Programs, I just
> go
> to msn.com.
> Can't update if can't go to update site.!!!!!
> Sispect some sort of screwy spyware or something but can find nothing on
> the
> subject. Yes, have rebooted, cleared cache, etc to no avail.
>
> Anyonre have any idea??
>
> Thanx

snake11088

Re: Cannot access Windows Update
I'm having this problem too, and i still can't figure out how to fix it. Can
somebody tell me the location of the malicious file so i may manually scan
that file?
Shenan Stanley

snake11088 wrote:
> I'm having this problem too, and i still can't figure out how to
> fix it. Can somebody tell me the location of the malicious file so
> i may manually scan that file?

Whatever you think you replied to - you left out any obvious reference to
it.

How about you just post about your problem - start up a conversation of your
own - and be sure to include some details.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

snake11088

Re: Cannot access Windows Update
Since this my first time using your forums, i have tried to figure out how to
post a new topic, only to end in failure. What i was referring to was the
possible virus infection that will not let me update windows xp sp3 at all.
And Windows Defender will not update at all, and keep getting this error code
from windows defender:
Error Found: Code 0x80244019
And because of this possible infection, my pc keeps blue screening with
errors like:
IRQ_NOT_LESS_THEN_OR_EQUAL, or
BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. Please help me find a solution to this problem.
Shenan Stanley

snake11088 wrote:
> Since this my first time using your forums, i have tried to figure
> out how to post a new topic, only to end in failure. What i was
> referring to was the possible virus infection that will not let me
> update windows xp sp3 at all. And Windows Defender will not update
> at all, and keep getting this error code from windows defender:
> Error Found: Code 0x80244019
> And because of this possible infection, my pc keeps blue screening
> with errors like:
> IRQ_NOT_LESS_THEN_OR_EQUAL, or
> BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. Please help me find a solution to this
> problem.

So you are infected with a virus? Spyware/Adware? Malware of some kind?

You need to clean that up - that's for sure. Problem is - without a
specific 'infection' name - best one could do for you is a shotgun approach.

So... Here we go....

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the status of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Come back, reply to this conversation, let everyone know how it turns out
(whether or not you need more help...)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

snake11088

Re: Cannot access Windows Update
UPDATE: As of now, im running a scan with Avast! antivirus, and will probably
bluescreen before the scan is done. But i have recently discovered a new
problem thats behind the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreen error
message. It appears that the program Vuse, will somehow cause my computer to
crash and somethims when its not even running (when i get the bad system
config errors). More info here:
http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?me...173384&#173384

Re: Cannot access Windows Update

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.