Problem installing XP Service Pack 3

Kmac

Problem installing XP Service Pack 3
I've tried several times to install XP service pack 3 on XP Home edition but
it fails to install and the install icon keeps popping up in my task bar
telling me to install it. At this point I'd just like to get rid of it!

I tried the windows support remedy
(http://support.microsoft.co/kb/943144)and it took the .dll, but the "updates
are ready for your computer" symbol is still showing up in my task bar

If I double click on it and choose "custom install"It says:

Update Title
Windows Xp Service Pack 3(KB9369290)
Details
Size: 66.9 MB - 316.4 MB

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses
key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes all
previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates.
Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not
significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this item,
you may have to restart your computer.

Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Engel

RE: Problem installing XP Service Pack 3
Hello Kmac,

Did you try to right click and select Hide update
-=-

"Kmac" wrote:

> I've tried several times to install XP service pack 3 on XP Home edition but
> it fails to install and the install icon keeps popping up in my task bar
> telling me to install it. At this point I'd just like to get rid of it!
>
> I tried the windows support remedy
> (http://support.microsoft.co/kb/943144)and it took the .dll, but the "updates
> are ready for your computer" symbol is still showing up in my task bar
>
> If I double click on it and choose "custom install"It says:
>
> Update Title
> Windows Xp Service Pack 3(KB9369290)
> Details
> Size: 66.9 MB - 316.4 MB
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses
> key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes all
> previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates.
> Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not
> significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this item,
> you may have to restart your computer.
>
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks!

Re: Problem installing XP Service Pack 3
Any errors seen when the installation fails or in WindowsUpdate.log?

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Kmac wrote:
> I've tried several times to install XP service pack 3 on XP Home edition
> but
> it fails to install and the install icon keeps popping up in my task bar
> telling me to install it. At this point I'd just like to get rid of it!
>
> I tried the windows support remedy
> (http://support.microsoft.co/kb/943144)and it took the .dll, but the
> "updates are ready for your computer" symbol is still showing up in my
> task
> bar
>
> If I double click on it and choose "custom install"It says:
>
> Update Title
> Windows Xp Service Pack 3(KB9369290)
> Details
> Size: 66.9 MB - 316.4 MB
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses
> key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes
> all
> previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates.
> Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not
> significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this
> item,
> you may have to restart your computer.
>
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks!

Re: Problem installing XP Service Pack 3
If he hides it (which I don't recommend doing), what about the "66.9 MB -
316.4 MB" installer that's now residing in
%windows%\SoftwareDistribution/Download <= this folder...?

Engel wrote:
> Hello Kmac,
>
> Did you try to right click and select Hide update

<snip>

Jim

"Kmac" <Kmac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've tried several times to install XP service pack 3 on XP Home edition
> but
> it fails to install and the install icon keeps popping up in my task bar
> telling me to install it. At this point I'd just like to get rid of it!
>
> I tried the windows support remedy
> (http://support.microsoft.co/kb/943144)and it took the .dll, but the
> "updates
> are ready for your computer" symbol is still showing up in my task bar
>
> If I double click on it and choose "custom install"It says:
>
> Update Title
> Windows Xp Service Pack 3(KB9369290)
> Details
> Size: 66.9 MB - 316.4 MB
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses
> key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes
> all
> previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates.
> Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not
> significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this
> item,
> you may have to restart your computer.
>
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks!

You need to help the first responders by quating the exact text of the error
messages that either 1) showed on the screen or 2) arrived in the
installation log.
Doing it "several times" without correcting the reason for failure is
futile.
Jim

Kmac

Re: Problem installing XP Service Pack 3
Yeah,
it says :
"An error occurred while copying file beethov9wma."
"Cannot copy file to destination directory"

Then, of course, since it can't figure out where to put this stupid useless
file,you cancel the install and it proceeds to uninstall everything it
started up until this point....which it's doing now.
What a pain in the ass this is!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Any errors seen when the installation fails or in WindowsUpdate.log?
>
> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Kmac wrote:
> > I've tried several times to install XP service pack 3 on XP Home edition
> > but
> > it fails to install and the install icon keeps popping up in my task bar
> > telling me to install it. At this point I'd just like to get rid of it!
> >
> > I tried the windows support remedy
> > (http://support.microsoft.co/kb/943144)and it took the .dll, but the
> > "updates are ready for your computer" symbol is still showing up in my
> > task
> > bar
> >
> > If I double click on it and choose "custom install"It says:
> >
> > Update Title
> > Windows Xp Service Pack 3(KB9369290)
> > Details
> > Size: 66.9 MB - 316.4 MB
> >
> > Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses
> > key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes
> > all
> > previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates.
> > Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not
> > significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this
> > item,
> > you may have to restart your computer.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> > Thanks!

Re: Problem installing XP Service Pack 3
> "An error occurred while copying file beethov9wma."
> "Cannot copy file to destination directory"

See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...be69647c7c6384
or
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...69bcb4c4674bd2