Updating freezes

bratboy

Updating freezes
Running into a major prob. I normally keep Auto update turned off and just
visit the MS update page. Tonight I visited the sit and it showed like 20
important updates for XP and Office. The files downloaded and then just seems
to freeze at the install step and hangs. Have tried to go back and just
select any one of the updates but no matter which one I pick the update
manages to download but then seems to freeze when it gets to the install
step. I never seem to get an error code so not sure whats wrong.

Im running XP SP2. and I just ran live One cares safty scanner, well
actually its still running, and so far it says under the Virus & Spyware step:
2 items detected, 2 issues found ( so far)

Have a feeling that due to how much hard drive I have to scan that a final
result wont be available for a while but will post what the final outcome of
the scan is once it is done. In the mean time any ideas as to what could be
causing my issue? Was tempted to try and go to the KB and download the
individual installs but would be a lot of work
bratboy

RE: Updating freezes
Well I went back and tried to install each update individually. Some actually
did install others still fail to install. How do I delete all the downloaded
packs so I can redownload them? Scan is still running

"bratboy" wrote:

> Running into a major prob. I normally keep Auto update turned off and just
> visit the MS update page. Tonight I visited the sit and it showed like 20
> important updates for XP and Office. The files downloaded and then just seems
> to freeze at the install step and hangs. Have tried to go back and just
> select any one of the updates but no matter which one I pick the update
> manages to download but then seems to freeze when it gets to the install
> step. I never seem to get an error code so not sure whats wrong.
>
> Im running XP SP2. and I just ran live One cares safty scanner, well
> actually its still running, and so far it says under the Virus & Spyware step:
> 2 items detected, 2 issues found ( so far)
>
> Have a feeling that due to how much hard drive I have to scan that a final
> result wont be available for a while but will post what the final outcome of
> the scan is once it is done. In the mean time any ideas as to what could be
> causing my issue? Was tempted to try and go to the KB and download the
> individual installs but would be a lot of work

bratboy

RE: Updating freezes
Well I tried the program I found in another thread:

I ran and did its thing then I went to Update and tried to install just one
of the files. It downloaded fine, said initalizing install and then said it
wasn't installed. When I went into history and clicked on the file I got the
mssg:

Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x8007F205
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
updates)"

Beginning to wonder if I should just try and do a sys restore from a while
back to see if that fixes things for me. Just hate to go thru that sort of
hassel if I can avoid it

"bratboy" wrote:

> Well I went back and tried to install each update individually. Some actually
> did install others still fail to install. How do I delete all the downloaded
> packs so I can redownload them? Scan is still running
>
> "bratboy" wrote:
>
> > Running into a major prob. I normally keep Auto update turned off and just
> > visit the MS update page. Tonight I visited the sit and it showed like 20
> > important updates for XP and Office. The files downloaded and then just seems
> > to freeze at the install step and hangs. Have tried to go back and just
> > select any one of the updates but no matter which one I pick the update
> > manages to download but then seems to freeze when it gets to the install
> > step. I never seem to get an error code so not sure whats wrong.
> >
> > Im running XP SP2. and I just ran live One cares safty scanner, well
> > actually its still running, and so far it says under the Virus & Spyware step:
> > 2 items detected, 2 issues found ( so far)
> >
> > Have a feeling that due to how much hard drive I have to scan that a final
> > result wont be available for a while but will post what the final outcome of
> > the scan is once it is done. In the mean time any ideas as to what could be
> > causing my issue? Was tempted to try and go to the KB and download the
> > individual installs but would be a lot of work

Re: Updating freezes
Enable Automatic Updates then try updating manually via Windows Update
website again.

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update(s).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

bratboy wrote:
> Running into a major prob. I normally keep Auto update turned off and just
> visit the MS update page. Tonight I visited the sit and it showed like 20
> important updates for XP and Office. The files downloaded and then just
> seems to freeze at the install step and hangs. Have tried to go back and
> just select any one of the updates but no matter which one I pick the
> update
> manages to download but then seems to freeze when it gets to the install
> step. I never seem to get an error code so not sure whats wrong.
>
> Im running XP SP2. and I just ran live One cares safty scanner, well
> actually its still running, and so far it says under the Virus & Spyware
> step: 2 items detected, 2 issues found ( so far)
>
> Have a feeling that due to how much hard drive I have to scan that a final
> result wont be available for a while but will post what the final outcome
> of
> the scan is once it is done. In the mean time any ideas as to what could
> be
> causing my issue? Was tempted to try and go to the KB and download the
> individual installs but would be a lot of work

corgorant@gmail.com

Re: Updating freezes
On Nov 21, 11:15*am, bratboy <brat...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Well I went back and tried to install each update individually. Some actually
> did install others still fail to install. How do I delete all the downloaded
> packs so I can redownload them? Scan is still running

the files are located in %WINDOWS%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

commonly, it's C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

delete all the files and folders inside and it will re-download
everything. make sure update isn't running. also, check that you have
enough disk space on that. it typically takes up to several hundred
megabytes for backups and such.

Evil overlord of <a href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>