Microsoft Update

philmc12

Microsoft Update
Why is Microsoft Update hanging at "Checking if your computer has the latest
version of Windows updating software for use with the website…The website
uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the software your
computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the control is
digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing it to run."

I'm seeing this problem on all home systems. I've scanned for viruses,
spyware, cleared the cookies folder and deleted all temp files using Disk
Cleanup, but it is still a no go.

Thanks,
RM

Re: Microsoft Update
posting to this newsgroup.

One assumes it's hanging because something's wrong with your machine and the
problem's interfering with the connection to the Windows Update server.
Despite the scanning you've done, the most like cause of the problem is
hijackware.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

philmc12 wrote:
> Why is Microsoft Update hanging at "Checking if your computer has the
> latest
> version of Windows updating software for use with the website…The website
> uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the software your
> computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the control
> is
> digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing it to run."
>
> I'm seeing this problem on all home systems. I've scanned for viruses,
> spyware, cleared the cookies folder and deleted all temp files using Disk
> Cleanup, but it is still a no go.
>
> Thanks,
> RM

corgorant@gmail.com

Re: Microsoft Update
no, the most likely reason is a bad connection to the servers. if you
are currently downloading something that is using up all your
bandwidth or (like me) you are on an extremely unreliable ISP, wait
until the line clears up then try again. if it still takes more than 5
minutes keep refreshing the page until you get through.

Evil overlord of <a href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>
Peter Foldes

Re: Microsoft Update
Tell us on how you came to this brilliant conclusion

--
Peter

<corgorant@gmail.com> wrote in message news:f83dc548-d662-4271-a9f8-c9695b412242@k1g2000prb.googlegroups.com...
> no, the most likely reason is a bad connection to the servers. if you
> are currently downloading something that is using up all your
> bandwidth or (like me) you are on an extremely unreliable ISP, wait
> until the line clears up then try again. if it still takes more than 5
> minutes keep refreshing the page until you get through.
>
> Evil overlord of <a href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com
> href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>

philmc12

Re: Microsoft Update
I apologize for not responding sooner. OS is a fresh install of Windows XP
SP3. FYI, after a few phone calls, I’ve determined that my naughty ISP
provider caused the problem because all access to Microsoft services failed
yesterday. Although, as of today it appears all is well. Thanks for your
assistance,

RM

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> One assumes it's hanging because something's wrong with your machine and the
> problem's interfering with the connection to the Windows Update server.
> Despite the scanning you've done, the most like cause of the problem is
> hijackware.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> philmc12 wrote:
> > Why is Microsoft Update hanging at "Checking if your computer has the
> > latest
> > version of Windows updating software for use with the website…The website
> > uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the software your
> > computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the control
> > is
> > digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing it to run."
> >
> > I'm seeing this problem on all home systems. I've scanned for viruses,
> > spyware, cleared the cookies folder and deleted all temp files using Disk
> > Cleanup, but it is still a no go.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > RM

Re: Microsoft Update
You're welcome and thanks for your feedback. What's your ISP?