windows updater

Ben

windows updater
Hello everyone, when I try and run windows updater it comes up and does
nothing just sits there and then reboots my computer. I also had this
problem trying to install Internet Explorer 8. I have read a few other posts
and tried running: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll and got the error message 0x80070005.
I also tried running from the CMD prompt: reg delete HKLM\Components /v
AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving, it said file could not be found. Can anyone
help me?
Ben

RE: windows updater
Forgot to click the let me know box.

"Ben" wrote:

> Hello everyone, when I try and run windows updater it comes up and does
> nothing just sits there and then reboots my computer. I also had this
> problem trying to install Internet Explorer 8. I have read a few other posts
> and tried running: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll and got the error message 0x80070005.
> I also tried running from the CMD prompt: reg delete HKLM\Components /v
> AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving, it said file could not be found. Can anyone
> help me?

Re: windows updater
[X-post to IE Beta newsgroup]

Ben, please reply to your earlier and ongoing thread in IE Beta newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...1-63311b8c192a

If need be, I can then crosspost replies to your thread there to Windows
Update newsgroup. Thanks.

You should be aware that no McAfee application is supported in IE8 Beta 2
and that many other McAfee users have encountered problems similar to yours
after uninstalling IE8 Beta 2, especially if the McAfee application had NOT
been disabled prior to installing and uninstalling IE8 Beta 2.

You may end up having to format & reinstall Windows now. Such are the risks
of installing any beta application.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ben wrote:
> Forgot to click the let me know box.
>
>> Hello everyone, when I try and run windows updater it comes up and does
>> nothing just sits there and then reboots my computer. I also had this
>> problem trying to install Internet Explorer 8. I have read a few other
>> posts and tried running: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll and got the error message
>> 0x80070005. I also tried running from the CMD prompt: reg delete
>> HKLM\Components /v AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving, it said file could
>> not
>> be found. Can anyone help me?

Ben

Re: windows updater
PA Bear the post you are talking about is not mine. I just checked my system
and Explorer 8 never loaded, also I am not running any Mcfee programs that I
know of.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [X-post to IE Beta newsgroup]
>
> Ben, please reply to your earlier and ongoing thread in IE Beta newsgroup:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...1-63311b8c192a
>
> If need be, I can then crosspost replies to your thread there to Windows
> Update newsgroup. Thanks.
>
> You should be aware that no McAfee application is supported in IE8 Beta 2
> and that many other McAfee users have encountered problems similar to yours
> after uninstalling IE8 Beta 2, especially if the McAfee application had NOT
> been disabled prior to installing and uninstalling IE8 Beta 2.
>
> You may end up having to format & reinstall Windows now. Such are the risks
> of installing any beta application.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Ben wrote:
> > Forgot to click the let me know box.
> >
> >> Hello everyone, when I try and run windows updater it comes up and does
> >> nothing just sits there and then reboots my computer. I also had this
> >> problem trying to install Internet Explorer 8. I have read a few other
> >> posts and tried running: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll and got the error message
> >> 0x80070005. I also tried running from the CMD prompt: reg delete
> >> HKLM\Components /v AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving, it said file could
> >> not
> >> be found. Can anyone help me?

Re: windows updater
[Crosspost to IE Beta newsgroup eliminated]

OK, thanks. So you have not installed IE8B2 yet, correct?

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1), Ben.

Have you recently had occasion to do a Repair Install or a Clean Install of
Windows? If so, which did you do and why?

The 0x80070005 error points to Permissions issue: What anti-virus
application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?
What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
firewall (if any)?

ACTIONS:

1. Enable Show Hidden Files and Folders per this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html

2. Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E) and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32
<=this folder.

3. Assuming the file WUAUENG.DLL is found in that folder, right-click on the
file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is displayed
here (e.g., v7.2.6001.788)?
--
~PA Bear

Ben wrote:
> PA Bear the post you are talking about is not mine. I just checked my
> system
> and Explorer 8 never loaded, also I am not running any Mcfee programs that
> know of.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [X-post to IE Beta newsgroup]
>>
>> Ben, please reply to your earlier and ongoing thread in IE Beta
>> newsgroup:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...1-63311b8c192a
>>
>> If need be, I can then crosspost replies to your thread there to Windows
>> Update newsgroup. Thanks.
>>
>> You should be aware that no McAfee application is supported in IE8 Beta 2
>> and that many other McAfee users have encountered problems similar to
>> yours
>> after uninstalling IE8 Beta 2, especially if the McAfee application had
>> NOT
>> been disabled prior to installing and uninstalling IE8 Beta 2.
>>
>> You may end up having to format & reinstall Windows now. Such are the
>> risks of installing any beta application.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Ben wrote:
>>> Forgot to click the let me know box.

Ben

Re: windows updater
As far as I know it did not go through, when I tried to install it I had to
repair the OS. I am running Vista SP1 with the full version of Zone Alarm. I
am also se up in a Raid 5 format with 4 drives. After running through the
septs below this is what I have, version 7.0.6001.18000.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to IE Beta newsgroup eliminated]
>
> OK, thanks. So you have not installed IE8B2 yet, correct?
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1), Ben.
>
> Have you recently had occasion to do a Repair Install or a Clean Install of
> Windows? If so, which did you do and why?
>
> The 0x80070005 error points to Permissions issue: What anti-virus
> application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?
> What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
> firewall (if any)?
>
> ACTIONS:
>
> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files and Folders per this tutorial:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
>
> 2. Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E) and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> <=this folder.
>
> 3. Assuming the file WUAUENG.DLL is found in that folder, right-click on the
> file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is displayed
> here (e.g., v7.2.6001.788)?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Ben wrote:
> > PA Bear the post you are talking about is not mine. I just checked my
> > system
> > and Explorer 8 never loaded, also I am not running any Mcfee programs that
> > know of.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [X-post to IE Beta newsgroup]
> >>
> >> Ben, please reply to your earlier and ongoing thread in IE Beta
> >> newsgroup:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...1-63311b8c192a
> >>
> >> If need be, I can then crosspost replies to your thread there to Windows
> >> Update newsgroup. Thanks.
> >>
> >> You should be aware that no McAfee application is supported in IE8 Beta 2
> >> and that many other McAfee users have encountered problems similar to
> >> yours
> >> after uninstalling IE8 Beta 2, especially if the McAfee application had
> >> NOT
> >> been disabled prior to installing and uninstalling IE8 Beta 2.
> >>
> >> You may end up having to format & reinstall Windows now. Such are the
> >> risks of installing any beta application.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: windows updater
More questions, I'm afraid:

> As far as I know [the install of IE8B2] did not go through, [and]
> when I tried to install it I had to repair the OS.

Your attempt to install IE8B2 failed so you *chose* to reinstall Vista
("repair the OS") or the machine wouldn't work until you'd "repaired the
OS"?

> I am running Vista SP1...

Assuming the machine did not come with Vista SP1 preinstalled, did you
install SP1 manually or via Windows Update *after* you "repaired the OS"?

> ...with the full version of Zone Alarm.

Are you running Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS)? Is your subscription
current?

Did a Norton or McAfee application come preinstalled on the machine when you
bought it?

> ...After running through the
> [steps] below this is what I have, version 7.0.6001.18000.

Please confirm that C:\WINDOWS\System32\WUAUENG.DLL <=this file is
v7.0.6001.18000, *not* that Internet Explorer is v7.0.6001.18000.
--
~PA Bear

Ben wrote:
> As far as I know it did not go through, when I tried to install it I had
> repair the OS. I am running Vista SP1 with the full version of Zone Alarm.
> am also se up in a Raid 5 format with 4 drives. After running through the
> septs below this is what I have, version 7.0.6001.18000.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crosspost to IE Beta newsgroup eliminated]
>>
>> OK, thanks. So you have not installed IE8B2 yet, correct?
>>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1), Ben.
>>
>> Have you recently had occasion to do a Repair Install or a Clean Install
>> of
>> Windows? If so, which did you do and why?
>>
>> The 0x80070005 error points to Permissions issue: What anti-virus
>> application or security suite is installed and is your subscription
>> current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What
>> third-party firewall (if any)?
>>
>> ACTIONS:
>>
>> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files and Folders per this tutorial:
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
>>
>> 2. Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E) and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32
>> <=this folder.
>>
>> 3. Assuming the file WUAUENG.DLL is found in that folder, right-click on
>> the file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is
>> displayed here (e.g., v7.2.6001.788)?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Ben wrote:
>>> PA Bear the post you are talking about is not mine. I just checked my
>>> system
>>> and Explorer 8 never loaded, also I am not running any Mcfee programs
>>> that
>>> I know of.

Ben

Re: windows updater
I had to repair the OS, the computer would not boot, not even into safe mode.
As far as I can tell it needed two files not sure what they were. I did
upgrade to Vista and use Windows updater to install SP1, yes it was after the
OS fix. With Zone Alarm it is current and running the vista version. When I
bought the new drives I installed WinXP, upgraded to Vista and let the
updater install most of the hardware, I downloaded the Vista versions for
everything that was left. That is the correct version on Explorer as it is
shown it the details box of that file the other box that you talked about in
your last message was not there. Hope this helps a little, and please ask
all questions you may have.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> More questions, I'm afraid:
>
> > As far as I know [the install of IE8B2] did not go through, [and]
> > when I tried to install it I had to repair the OS.

> Your attempt to install IE8B2 failed so you *chose* to reinstall Vista
> ("repair the OS") or the machine wouldn't work until you'd "repaired the
> OS"?
>
> > I am running Vista SP1...

> Assuming the machine did not come with Vista SP1 preinstalled, did you
> install SP1 manually or via Windows Update *after* you "repaired the OS"?
>
> > ...with the full version of Zone Alarm.

> Are you running Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS)? Is your subscription
> current?
>
> Did a Norton or McAfee application come preinstalled on the machine when you
> bought it?
>
> > ...After running through the
> > [steps] below this is what I have, version 7.0.6001.18000.

> Please confirm that C:\WINDOWS\System32\WUAUENG.DLL <=this file is
> v7.0.6001.18000, *not* that Internet Explorer is v7.0.6001.18000.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Ben wrote:
> > As far as I know it did not go through, when I tried to install it I had
> > repair the OS. I am running Vista SP1 with the full version of Zone Alarm.
> > am also se up in a Raid 5 format with 4 drives. After running through the
> > septs below this is what I have, version 7.0.6001.18000.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [Crosspost to IE Beta newsgroup eliminated]
> >>
> >> OK, thanks. So you have not installed IE8B2 yet, correct?
> >>
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1), Ben.
> >>
> >> Have you recently had occasion to do a Repair Install or a Clean Install
> >> of
> >> Windows? If so, which did you do and why?
> >>
> >> The 0x80070005 error points to Permissions issue: What anti-virus
> >> application or security suite is installed and is your subscription
> >> current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What
> >> third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> ACTIONS:
> >>
> >> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files and Folders per this tutorial:
> >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
> >>
> >> 2. Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E) and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> >> <=this folder.
> >>
> >> 3. Assuming the file WUAUENG.DLL is found in that folder, right-click on
> >> the file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is
> >> displayed here (e.g., v7.2.6001.788)?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Ben

Re: windows updater
Oh, forgot I put this computer together if that helps.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> More questions, I'm afraid:
>
> > As far as I know [the install of IE8B2] did not go through, [and]
> > when I tried to install it I had to repair the OS.

> Your attempt to install IE8B2 failed so you *chose* to reinstall Vista
> ("repair the OS") or the machine wouldn't work until you'd "repaired the
> OS"?
>
> > I am running Vista SP1...

> Assuming the machine did not come with Vista SP1 preinstalled, did you
> install SP1 manually or via Windows Update *after* you "repaired the OS"?
>
> > ...with the full version of Zone Alarm.

> Are you running Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS)? Is your subscription
> current?
>
> Did a Norton or McAfee application come preinstalled on the machine when you
> bought it?
>
> > ...After running through the
> > [steps] below this is what I have, version 7.0.6001.18000.

> Please confirm that C:\WINDOWS\System32\WUAUENG.DLL <=this file is
> v7.0.6001.18000, *not* that Internet Explorer is v7.0.6001.18000.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Ben wrote:
> > As far as I know it did not go through, when I tried to install it I had
> > repair the OS. I am running Vista SP1 with the full version of Zone Alarm.
> > am also se up in a Raid 5 format with 4 drives. After running through the
> > septs below this is what I have, version 7.0.6001.18000.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [Crosspost to IE Beta newsgroup eliminated]
> >>
> >> OK, thanks. So you have not installed IE8B2 yet, correct?
> >>
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1), Ben.
> >>
> >> Have you recently had occasion to do a Repair Install or a Clean Install
> >> of
> >> Windows? If so, which did you do and why?
> >>
> >> The 0x80070005 error points to Permissions issue: What anti-virus
> >> application or security suite is installed and is your subscription
> >> current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What
> >> third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> ACTIONS:
> >>
> >> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files and Folders per this tutorial:
> >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
> >>
> >> 2. Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E) and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> >> <=this folder.
> >>
> >> 3. Assuming the file WUAUENG.DLL is found in that folder, right-click on
> >> the file | select Properties | select Version (tab): What version is
> >> displayed here (e.g., v7.2.6001.788)?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: windows updater
Please answer my questions by number in your next reply:

1. Are you running Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS)? If not, what
anti-virus application is installed?

2. Please confirm that C:\WINDOWS\System32\WUAUENG.DLL <=this file is
v7.2.6001.788.

3a. Was the Zone Alarm application (or another anti-virus application)
installed & running in the background when you upgraded from WinXP to Vista?

3b. Was the Zone Alarm application (and/or your anti-virus application)
running in the background when you installed Vista SP1 via Windows Updates?

4a. Please confirm that Automatic Updates is enabled; if it's not, enable it
now.

4b. If you (a) disable the Zone Alarm firewall and then (b) enable the
Windows Firewall, does Windows Update work OK?

5. Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this
file, select Properties & open the Version tab: What version is displayed
here (e.g., v7.0.6001.18000)?
--
~PA Bear

Ben wrote:
> Oh, forgot I put this computer together if that helps.

<paste>
> I had to repair the OS, the computer would not boot, not even into safe
> mode. As far as I can tell it needed two files not sure what they were. I
> did upgrade to Vista and use Windows updater to install SP1, yes it was
> after the OS fix. With Zone Alarm it is current and running the vista
> version. When I bought the new drives I installed WinXP, upgraded to
> Vista
> and let the updater install most of the hardware, I downloaded the Vista
> versions for everything that was left. That is the correct version on
> Explorer as it is shown it the details box of that file the other box that
> you talked about in your last message was not there. Hope this helps a
> little, and please ask all questions you may have.

</paste>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> More questions, I'm afraid:
>>
>>> As far as I know [the install of IE8B2] did not go through, [and]
>>> when I tried to install it I had to repair the OS.

>> Your attempt to install IE8B2 failed so you *chose* to reinstall Vista
>> ("repair the OS") or the machine wouldn't work until you'd "repaired the
>> OS"?
>>
>>> I am running Vista SP1...

>> Assuming the machine did not come with Vista SP1 preinstalled, did you
>> install SP1 manually or via Windows Update *after* you "repaired the OS"?
>>
>>> ...with the full version of Zone Alarm.

>> Are you running Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS)? Is your subscription
>> current?
>>
>> Did a Norton or McAfee application come preinstalled on the machine when
>> you bought it?
>>
>>> ...After running through the
>>> [steps] below this is what I have, version 7.0.6001.18000.

>> Please confirm that C:\WINDOWS\System32\WUAUENG.DLL <=this file is
>> v7.0.6001.18000, *not* that Internet Explorer is v7.0.6001.18000.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Ben wrote:
>>> As far as I know it did not go through, when I tried to install it I had
>>> repair the OS. I am running Vista SP1 with the full version of Zone
>>> Alarm.
>>> am also se up in a Raid 5 format with 4 drives. After running through
>>> the
>>> septs below this is what I have, version 7.0.6001.18000.

<SNIP>