RE: Just Released! Windows Product Key Update Tool!

Captlucky

RE: Just Released! Windows Product Key Update Tool!

Sorry to bust everyones bubble but the Key Update Program does not work
om WIN XP MCE operating systems. Someone giving out expert tech advice
should know this before giving out wrong info. Now the father blames the
son for upgrading MCE 2004 to MCE 2005 with an illegal copy and all
because of some bad info.

--
Captlucky
Captlucky's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/captlucky.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

Captlucky wrote:
> Sorry to bust everyones bubble but the Key Update Program does not
> work om WIN XP MCE operating systems. Someone giving out expert
> tech advice should know this before giving out wrong info. Now the
> father blames the son for upgrading MCE 2004 to MCE 2005 with an
> illegal copy and all because of some bad info.

The father should blame the son for installing an illegitimate copy of
Windows XP Media Center Edition onto their computer - as they stated they
did.

<snipped>
(A link to the *entire* conversation is included below. It should encompass
the 2 year 5+ month span of the conversation.)

Let's step through it - and for those interested - here is the archived
indefinitely version:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...528cb612c0a3a2

In May of 2006 - "Carey Frisch" (volunteer helper) posted a conversation
about a newly released tool from Microsoft.

At the end of December 2006 (just over seven months later) "Jim Hargreaves"
responded to that post asking how he could change his product key on Windows
Media Center.

I responded the same day with a query of, "Did you try the tool you quoted
in your response/post?".

"Jim Hargreaves" responded in kind the same day that he believed his son had
'downloaded' an newer version of WIndows XP Media Center than the one his
Sony originally came with. (In other words - his son likely pirated the
Windows Media Center 2005 version to replace the Windows Media Center 2002
that came with it. Notice the word 'pirated'. I do not use that lightly.)

I responded the next day - asking Jim to clarify his meaning - not being
able to utilize the word 'pirated' as freely as I am now - considering the
answer.

Jim responded that he believed his son had, "upgraded to xp MC 2005 from
2004 and used a bogus key to activate." (Thus the free usage of the word
pirated.)

PA Bear responded that he should have his son fix it then - which since his
son obviously did something wrong at this point - wasn't entirely a bad
suggestion. Although the original poster did not take it as a valid
solution and responded as such.

I suggested that he use whatever mechanism Sony had provided to restore the
system to the 'as purchased' state - so he would have the legitimate version
of Windows XP Media Center Edition and thus - a legitimate key/license that
all matched up.

So - as you can see - your response makes little to no sense - given that,
by proxy, the father had allowed a stolen version of the operating system to
end up on their computer. It happened that the one that installed the
illegitimate version of the OS was his son. The son had broken the
agreement - and depending on how you look at agreements - they can be
enfoced by laws in many many places. Enforced or not - the agreement
existed. The one being punished for the issue at hand was the father - who
should have, in my opinion (and may have) - punished the son and
straightened out the mess by restoring the computer to it's "as shipped"
state - as suggested.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Captlucky wrote:
>> Sorry to bust everyones bubble but the Key Update Program does not
>> work om WIN XP MCE operating systems. Someone giving out expert
>> tech advice should know this before giving out wrong info. Now the
>> father blames the son for upgrading MCE 2004 to MCE 2005 with an
>> illegal copy and all because of some bad info.

> The father should blame the son for installing an illegitimate copy of
> Windows XP Media Center Edition onto their computer - as they stated they
> did.

<snip>

<applause> Why these techarena.in guys dredging up such old threads is
anybody's guess.