Windows update failing

Chris Lucas

Windows update failing
On a HP laptop, with Vista Business SP1 installed, Windows update has started
failing, and at the same time, there are a large number of unexpected effects
occurring in usage (host services failing, etc).

The original failure was 800706BA, but this has now progressed to 800706BF.
The BITS repair tool fails, saying there is nothing to repair. RPCSS is
running.

Any ideas as to what to do now would be appreciated - and also probable cause
of this unpleasant situation.

Thanks!
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows update failing
Chris,

800706BA The RPC server is unavailable.
800706BF The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

*Right* click My Computer either on the Desktop or Start Menu and choose
Manage [follow any UAC prompts to allow it to run if need be]
In the middle frame double left click Services and Applications.
Do the same for Services.
Check these startup settings:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - Automatic
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator - Manual

IF the settings are as listed, read on ...

Is a 3rd party software firewall being used ?
If yes, disable it and enable the native Vista firewall.
See if the system can update now.

IF no 3rd party is in play, what is the installed antivirus/security suite ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Chris Lucas wrote:

> On a HP laptop, with Vista Business SP1 installed, Windows update has started
> failing, and at the same time, there are a large number of unexpected effects
> occurring in usage (host services failing, etc).
>
> The original failure was 800706BA, but this has now progressed to 800706BF.
> The BITS repair tool fails, saying there is nothing to repair. RPCSS is
> running.
>
> Any ideas as to what to do now would be appreciated - and also probable cause
> of this unpleasant situation.
>
> Thanks!

Chris Lucas

Re: Windows update failing
Thanks for this.

1/ Both RPC services are already set as you suggest
2/ Firewall is Windows F/W
3/ A/V is Trend Micro Internet Security 2009

Hope this helps, and look forward to your response - thanks.

Chris

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Chris,
>

> 800706BA The RPC server is unavailable.
> 800706BF The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.
>
> *Right* click My Computer either on the Desktop or Start Menu and choose
> Manage [follow any UAC prompts to allow it to run if need be]
> In the middle frame double left click Services and Applications.
> Do the same for Services.
> Check these startup settings:
>
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - Automatic
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator - Manual
>
> IF the settings are as listed, read on ...
>
> Is a 3rd party software firewall being used ?
> If yes, disable it and enable the native Vista firewall.
> See if the system can update now.
>
> IF no 3rd party is in play, what is the installed antivirus/security suite ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Chris Lucas wrote:
>
> > On a HP laptop, with Vista Business SP1 installed, Windows update has started
> > failing, and at the same time, there are a large number of unexpected effects
> > occurring in usage (host services failing, etc).
> >
> > The original failure was 800706BA, but this has now progressed to 800706BF.
> > The BITS repair tool fails, saying there is nothing to repair. RPCSS is
> > running.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what to do now would be appreciated - and also probable cause
> > of this unpleasant situation.
> >
> > Thanks!

Re: Windows update failing
<kibbitz>

Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 includes a firewall. You don't want both
firewalls enabled, Chris.

What "internet security" suite or anti-virus application was installed
before you installed Trend Micro Internet Security 2009?

</kibbitz>
--
~PA Bear

Chris Lucas wrote:
> Thanks for this.
>
> 1/ Both RPC services are already set as you suggest
> 2/ Firewall is Windows F/W
> 3/ A/V is Trend Micro Internet Security 2009
>
> Hope this helps, and look forward to your response - thanks.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>> 800706BA The RPC server is unavailable.
>> 800706BF The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.
>>
>> *Right* click My Computer either on the Desktop or Start Menu and choose
>> Manage [follow any UAC prompts to allow it to run if need be]
>> In the middle frame double left click Services and Applications.
>> Do the same for Services.
>> Check these startup settings:
>>
>> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - Automatic
>> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator - Manual
>>
>> IF the settings are as listed, read on ...
>>
>> Is a 3rd party software firewall being used ?
>> If yes, disable it and enable the native Vista firewall.
>> See if the system can update now.
>>
>> IF no 3rd party is in play, what is the installed antivirus/security
>> suite?
>>
>> Chris Lucas wrote:
>>> On a HP laptop, with Vista Business SP1 installed, Windows update has
>>> started failing, and at the same time, there are a large number of
>>> unexpected effects occurring in usage (host services failing, etc).
>>>
>>> The original failure was 800706BA, but this has now progressed to
>>> 800706BF. The BITS repair tool fails, saying there is nothing to repair.
>>> RPCSS is running.
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to what to do now would be appreciated - and also probable
>>> cause of this unpleasant situation.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Chris Lucas

Re: Windows update failing
Thanks - the Trend F/W is not activated, the Windows F/W is fine, survives
most pen tests...

Before Trend Micro 2009, I has Trend Micro 2008. 2009 has been installed
for about 3 months, no problems till now. The problem with Windows Update
(and the rest of the "collapsing" services is about 3 days old.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> <kibbitz>
>
> Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 includes a firewall. You don't want both
> firewalls enabled, Chris.
>
> What "internet security" suite or anti-virus application was installed
> before you installed Trend Micro Internet Security 2009?
>
> </kibbitz>
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Chris Lucas wrote:
> > Thanks for this.
> >
> > 1/ Both RPC services are already set as you suggest
> > 2/ Firewall is Windows F/W
> > 3/ A/V is Trend Micro Internet Security 2009
> >
> > Hope this helps, and look forward to your response - thanks.
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >> 800706BA The RPC server is unavailable.
> >> 800706BF The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.
> >>
> >> *Right* click My Computer either on the Desktop or Start Menu and choose
> >> Manage [follow any UAC prompts to allow it to run if need be]
> >> In the middle frame double left click Services and Applications.
> >> Do the same for Services.
> >> Check these startup settings:
> >>
> >> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - Automatic
> >> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator - Manual
> >>
> >> IF the settings are as listed, read on ...
> >>
> >> Is a 3rd party software firewall being used ?
> >> If yes, disable it and enable the native Vista firewall.
> >> See if the system can update now.
> >>
> >> IF no 3rd party is in play, what is the installed antivirus/security
> >> suite?

Re: Windows update failing
Thank you. Please await Mow's next reply to your thread.

Chris Lucas wrote:
> Thanks - the Trend F/W is not activated, the Windows F/W is fine, survives
> most pen tests...
>
> Before Trend Micro 2009, I has Trend Micro 2008. 2009 has been installed
> for about 3 months, no problems till now. The problem with Windows Update
> (and the rest of the "collapsing" services is about 3 days old.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> <kibbitz>
>>
>> Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 includes a firewall. You don't want
>> both firewalls enabled, Chris.
>>
>> What "internet security" suite or anti-virus application was installed
>> before you installed Trend Micro Internet Security 2009?
>>
>> </kibbitz>
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Chris Lucas wrote:
>>> Thanks for this.
>>>
>>> 1/ Both RPC services are already set as you suggest
>>> 2/ Firewall is Windows F/W
>>> 3/ A/V is Trend Micro Internet Security 2009
>>>
>>> Hope this helps, and look forward to your response - thanks.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows update failing
Chris ... download and save AU Check (v78a):
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

Disable Trend temporarily, including all services and processes
associated with it. Either consult the User Guide, Trend's web site, or
use MSConfig to disable all of it's services.
Run au_check_v78a_codeplex.exe by *right* clicking it and choosing 'Run
as administrator'. Follow the prompts.
Allow some time for it to complete it's operation and reboot after it's
done.
Try to update now.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-200]9]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Thank you. Please await Mow's next reply to your thread.
>
> Chris Lucas wrote:
>
>> Thanks - the Trend F/W is not activated, the Windows F/W is fine,
>> survives
>> most pen tests...
>>
>> Before Trend Micro 2009, I has Trend Micro 2008. 2009 has been installed
>> for about 3 months, no problems till now. The problem with Windows
>> Update
>> (and the rest of the "collapsing" services is about 3 days old.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> <kibbitz>
>>>
>>> Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 includes a firewall. You don't want
>>> both firewalls enabled, Chris.
>>>
>>> What "internet security" suite or anti-virus application was installed
>>> before you installed Trend Micro Internet Security 2009?
>>>
>>> </kibbitz>
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Chris Lucas

Re: Windows update failing
Mow

1/ Thanks - did all of this. The good news is that Aero has come back.
The bad news is that although Windows Update managed to identify the required
updates, it then failed to install, error code 800706BA. Error is
consistent, I have retried.

At the end of this, there were 17 instances of svchost.exe shown as running,
and a dialogue box appeared saying:

"Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed.

A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will
notify you if a solution is available"

2/ I think I mentioned that I tried to do a BITS repair and that the repair
tool advised that BITS repair was not required - sfc/scannow returns:

"Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chris Lucas>cd\

C:\>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\>"

The tail of the log file indicates a corrupt qmgr.dll - it appears that both
the "live" file, and the source are corrupt (see tail below) - could this be
the root of the problem? If so, I can copy a qmgr.dll (identical version and
size) from another Vista machine available to me - just not sure how to copy
the file across, given that qmgr.dll will be open. Is there a safe download
for this file from Microsoft? Tail follows:

"POQ 63 ends.
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 00000162 [SR] Verify
complete
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 00000163 [SR] Repairing 1
components
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 00000164 [SR] Beginning
Verify and Repair transaction
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 00000165 Hashes for file
member
\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-bits-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_2390c4 ecf9720b8c\qmgr.dll
do not match actual file [l:16{8}]"qmgr.dll" :
Found: {l:32 b:ScKp+5jFLhLGBnC2rsI7ZVgLr8fL0Aaqv5OCHa9uJjo=} Expected:
{l:32 bfzQPLln0amA1WEkYD81PcHYAOOl5Dbu6Vxl/eFzmM8=}
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 00000166 [SR] Cannot
repair member file [l:16{8}]"qmgr.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Bits-Client,
Version = 6.0.6001.18000, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture
neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35},
Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 00000167 Hashes for file
member
\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-bits-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_2390c4 ecf9720b8c\qmgr.dll
do not match actual file [l:16{8}]"qmgr.dll" :
Found: {l:32 b:ScKp+5jFLhLGBnC2rsI7ZVgLr8fL0Aaqv5OCHa9uJjo=} Expected:
{l:32 bfzQPLln0amA1WEkYD81PcHYAOOl5Dbu6Vxl/eFzmM8=}
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 00000168 [SR] Cannot
repair member file [l:16{8}]"qmgr.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Bits-Client,
Version = 6.0.6001.18000, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture
neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35},
Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 00000169 Hashes for file
member \??\C:\windows\System32\qmgr.dll do not match actual file
[l:16{8}]"qmgr.dll" :
Found: {l:32 b:ScKp+5jFLhLGBnC2rsI7ZVgLr8fL0Aaqv5OCHa9uJjo=} Expected:
{l:32 bfzQPLln0amA1WEkYD81PcHYAOOl5Dbu6Vxl/eFzmM8=}
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 0000016a Hashes for file
member
\SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-bits-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_2390c4 ecf9720b8c\qmgr.dll
do not match actual file [l:16{8}]"qmgr.dll" :
Found: {l:32 b:ScKp+5jFLhLGBnC2rsI7ZVgLr8fL0Aaqv5OCHa9uJjo=} Expected:
{l:32 bfzQPLln0amA1WEkYD81PcHYAOOl5Dbu6Vxl/eFzmM8=}
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 0000016b [SR] Could not
reproject corrupted file
[ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\windows\System32"\[l:16{8}]"qmgr.dll"; source
file in store is also corrupted
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 0000016c Repair results
created:
POQ 64 starts:
0: Move File: Source =
[l:192{96}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\19f35d262f 47c901321c0000e4058413._0000000000000000.cdf-ms",
Destination =
[l:104{52}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMaps\_0000000000000000 .cdf-ms"

POQ 64 ends.
2008-11-15 14:33:38, Info CSI 0000016d [SR] Repair
complete
2008-11-15 14:33:39, Info CSI 0000016e [SR] Committing
transaction
2008-11-15 14:33:39, Info CSI 0000016f Creating NT
transaction (seq 1), objectname [6]"(null)"
2008-11-15 14:33:39, Info CSI 00000170 Created NT
transaction (seq 1) result 0x00000000, handle @0x178c
2008-11-15 14:33:39, Info CSI
00000171@2008/11/15:14:33:39.154 CSI perf trace:
CSIPERF:TXCOMMIT;103851
2008-11-15 14:33:39, Info CSI 00000172 [SR] Verify and
Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this
transaction have been successfully repaired"

Thanks

Chris

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Chris ... download and save AU Check (v78a):
> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263
>
> Disable Trend temporarily, including all services and processes
> associated with it. Either consult the User Guide, Trend's web site, or
> use MSConfig to disable all of it's services.
> Run au_check_v78a_codeplex.exe by *right* clicking it and choosing 'Run
> as administrator'. Follow the prompts.
> Allow some time for it to complete it's operation and reboot after it's
> done.
> Try to update now.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-200]9]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
> > Thank you. Please await Mow's next reply to your thread.
> >
> > Chris Lucas wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks - the Trend F/W is not activated, the Windows F/W is fine,
> >> survives
> >> most pen tests...
> >>
> >> Before Trend Micro 2009, I has Trend Micro 2008. 2009 has been installed
> >> for about 3 months, no problems till now. The problem with Windows
> >> Update
> >> (and the rest of the "collapsing" services is about 3 days old.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows update failing
Was Trend actively monitoring the system during the application of SP1
and when was it applied ?
That *may* account for the file mismatch in WinSxS.
Before doing any of the below, check the WindowsUpdate.log located in
WINDOWS [ Click Start > Start Search > type in windowsupdate.log > click
Search ]
Look to see if the updates were downloaded or if there are any FATAL or
WARNING entries with accompanying error codes:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

AU Check should have replaced all BITS related files when it was run.
It created an AULOGS folder on the root drive. The logs are stored in
..cab files that can be extracted as .zip files are.
After you decompress the data.CAB and progress.CAB, drill down in the to
the data subfolder and open the Fileversions.txt.
Under BITS / WinHTTP File versions: check to see which versions were
installed, or supposedly, installed.

Also, check the progress.log located in the progress subfolder.
Check the ' ---Enumerating files used by BITS--- ' section to see if any
errors are present.

I don't think you can move system files from one Vista system to another
as in previous Windows OS' due to security descriptors. AFAIK, the
bits-related files should be at a much higher V. then what is showing in
WinSxS, Chris.

Hold on a sec ... has this update been offered or installed yet ? -
Update for Windows Vista (KB956774)

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

Chris Lucas wrote:

> [...]
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Chris ... download and save AU Check (v78a):
>>http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263
>>
>>Disable Trend temporarily, including all services and processes
>>associated with it. Either consult the User Guide, Trend's web site, or
>>use MSConfig to disable all of it's services.
>>Run au_check_v78a_codeplex.exe by *right* clicking it and choosing 'Run
>>as administrator'. Follow the prompts.
>>Allow some time for it to complete it's operation and reboot after it's
>>done.
>>Try to update now.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-200]9]
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>
>>PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you. Please await Mow's next reply to your thread.

Re: Windows update failing
[Is KB956774 being offered by Windows Update? Dunno 'bout you but I'm
a-smellin' hijackware here, BroMow.]

<snippage>