Router Glitch after installing KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097

K2

Router Glitch after installing KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097
Running WinXP Home SP3
Also using Wireless Router: Linksys WRT54GS

After installing security patches KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097 on
Nov. 12, I found myself unable to access a discussion board website I've
been using for years. Getting the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the
Webpage" message.

So far, it's only this one website that I have encountered the problem with.
It's just a basic web based discussion board (login required) with no
sophisticated coding that I'm aware of.

After checking various IE settings and trying to narrow down the problem, I
discovered that if I bypass the router and run directly off the ethernet
from the cable modem, the problem goes away.

I suspect that something implemented in those patches changed a setting or
installed a new function that is conflicting with the router... probably in
the firewall.

Is anyone aware of problems reported for similar setups, or what new
features/functions/settings might have been introduced in these patches?

Re: Router Glitch after installing KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097
> So far, it's only this one website that I have encountered the problem
> with.

And that website would be...?

If you connect directly to the *router*, can you access the website?

Are there any driver updates available for the wireless card at the computer
manufacturer's website that you've not installed?

Is there a firmware update available for your Linksys router that you've not
installed?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

www.acmebt.com - a private message board

> If you connect directly to the *router*, can you access the website?

No. Whether I use my laptop via the wireless, or the hard-wired desktop, if
it goes through the router, that site is inaccessable... even via ping or
tracert.

> Are there any driver updates available for the wireless card at the
> computer manufacturer's website that you've not installed?

I will check that, but since it happens even with the ethernet-connected
desktop machine, it's not a part of the common path of the two computers.

> Is there a firmware update available for your Linksys router that you've
> not installed?

I believe there is. I will install that and report back.

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> K2 wrote:
>> Running WinXP Home SP3
>> Also using Wireless Router: Linksys WRT54GS
>>
>> After installing security patches KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097 on
>> Nov. 12, I found myself unable to access a discussion board website I've
>> been using for years. Getting the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the
>> Webpage" message.
>>
>> So far, it's only this one website that I have encountered the problem
>> with.
>> It's just a basic web based discussion board (login required) with no
>> sophisticated coding that I'm aware of.
>>
>> After checking various IE settings and trying to narrow down the problem,
>> discovered that if I bypass the router and run directly off the ethernet
>> from the cable modem, the problem goes away.
>>
>> I suspect that something implemented in those patches changed a setting
>> or
>> installed a new function that is conflicting with the router... probably
>> in
>> the firewall.
>>
>> Is anyone aware of problems reported for similar setups, or what new
>> features/functions/settings might have been introduced in these patches?

Florida Gal :)

RE: Router Glitch after installing KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097
what is your router MTU set at?
--
Stop, Look, & Listen, God''s Free Gift''s Are All Around You.....

"K2" wrote:

> Running WinXP Home SP3
> Also using Wireless Router: Linksys WRT54GS
>
> After installing security patches KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097 on
> Nov. 12, I found myself unable to access a discussion board website I've
> been using for years. Getting the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the
> Webpage" message.
>
> So far, it's only this one website that I have encountered the problem with.
> It's just a basic web based discussion board (login required) with no
> sophisticated coding that I'm aware of.
>
> After checking various IE settings and trying to narrow down the problem, I
> discovered that if I bypass the router and run directly off the ethernet
> from the cable modem, the problem goes away.
>
> I suspect that something implemented in those patches changed a setting or
> installed a new function that is conflicting with the router... probably in
> the firewall.
>
> Is anyone aware of problems reported for similar setups, or what new
> features/functions/settings might have been introduced in these patches?

Florida Gal :)

RE: Router Glitch after installing KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB95
try disabling any extra toolbars and if that does not help try setting the
MTU on your router to 1400

--

"Florida Gal " wrote:

> what is your router MTU set at?
> --
> Stop, Look, & Listen, God''s Free Gift''s Are All Around You.....
>

> "K2" wrote:
>
> > Running WinXP Home SP3
> > Also using Wireless Router: Linksys WRT54GS
> >
> > After installing security patches KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097 on
> > Nov. 12, I found myself unable to access a discussion board website I've
> > been using for years. Getting the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the
> > Webpage" message.
> >
> > So far, it's only this one website that I have encountered the problem with.
> > It's just a basic web based discussion board (login required) with no
> > sophisticated coding that I'm aware of.
> >
> > After checking various IE settings and trying to narrow down the problem, I
> > discovered that if I bypass the router and run directly off the ethernet
> > from the cable modem, the problem goes away.
> >
> > I suspect that something implemented in those patches changed a setting or
> > installed a new function that is conflicting with the router... probably in
> > the firewall.
> >
> > Is anyone aware of problems reported for similar setups, or what new
> > features/functions/settings might have been introduced in these patches?

Re: Router Glitch after installing KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097
[nice grammar]

Florida Gal wrote:
> what is your router MTU set at?

K2

Re: Router Glitch after installing KB954430 KB955069 KB954459 KB957097
>> So far, it's only this one website that I have encountered the problem
>> with.

> Is there a firmware update available for your Linksys router that you've
> not installed?

Firmware update installed. Problem not fixed.

K2

"Florida Gal " <FloridaGal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what is your router MTU set at?

Currently set to Auto.

K2 wrote:
>>> So far, it's only this one website that I have encountered the problem
>>> with.

>> Is there a firmware update available for your Linksys router that you've
>> not installed?

> Firmware update installed. Problem not fixed.

Repost:
> Are there any driver updates available for the wireless card at the
> computer
> manufacturer's website that you've not installed?

>> ...if I bypass the router and run directly off the ethernet
>> from the cable modem, the problem goes away.

See my two posts in this recent thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...60cdcee6c44607

You have all the symptoms of an infection by this new DNS.Changer variant.

>>> Is there a firmware update available for your Linksys router that you've
>>> not installed?

>> Firmware update installed. Problem not fixed.

> Repost:
>> Are there any driver updates available for the wireless card at the
>> computer
>> manufacturer's website that you've not installed?

>>> ...if I bypass the router and run directly off the ethernet
>>> from the cable modem, the problem goes away.

> See my two posts in this recent thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...60cdcee6c44607
>
> You have all the symptoms of an infection by this new DNS.Changer variant.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/>

Is that something that Norton should catch?

Is it typical for it to only affect one (at least I've only noticed it on
one...) website?