Windows Update Caused Computer to Crash

rich

Windows Update Caused Computer to Crash
Windows XP Home.
After installing the latest updates succesfully, when my computer restarted
the screen was not readable. The picture was completely broken up and seemed
to be repeated in a diagonal pattern. I managed to use system restore from
safe mode to go back to get it working properly. This has happened once
before a few months ago and I just haven't installed those particular updates
since. There have been other updates between then and now which have
loaded/installed okay.
I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas/theories?

thanks.
Diana

Re: Windows Update Caused Computer to Crash
Hello,

If possible can you try to install the updates one by one to see which one
is causing the crash.

Once you have determined this, you can call in and get support to help with
this issue.

You can call 1-866-pcsafety for assistance.

Diana
Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
CSS Security Team

"rich" <rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home.
> After installing the latest updates succesfully, when my computer
> restarted
> the screen was not readable. The picture was completely broken up and
> seemed
> to be repeated in a diagonal pattern. I managed to use system restore from
> safe mode to go back to get it working properly. This has happened once
> before a few months ago and I just haven't installed those particular
> updates
> since. There have been other updates between then and now which have
> loaded/installed okay.
> I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas/theories?
>
> thanks.

Re: Windows Update Caused Computer to Crash
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

Which updates did you install, Rich?

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

rich wrote:
> Windows XP Home.
> After installing the latest updates succesfully, when my computer
> restarted
> the screen was not readable. The picture was completely broken up and
> seemed
> to be repeated in a diagonal pattern. I managed to use system restore from
> safe mode to go back to get it working properly. This has happened once
> before a few months ago and I just haven't installed those particular
> updates since. There have been other updates between then and now which
> have
> loaded/installed okay.
> I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas/theories?
>
> thanks.

V Green

Re: Windows Update Caused Computer to Crash
Do NOT, NEVER, EVER use a hardware
driver from Windows Update.

Sounds like MS pushed ANOTHER messed-up
video driver from someone on you (like the Intel
one a few months ago that screwed up screen res.)

Use the Update site to manually select which drivers
you want. Don't allow it to have it's way with your
machine by installing everything it deems "necessary".

"rich" <rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home.
> After installing the latest updates succesfully, when my computer restarted
> the screen was not readable. The picture was completely broken up and seemed
> to be repeated in a diagonal pattern. I managed to use system restore from
> safe mode to go back to get it working properly. This has happened once
> before a few months ago and I just haven't installed those particular updates
> since. There have been other updates between then and now which have
> loaded/installed okay.
> I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas/theories?
>
> thanks.

realcestmoi

Re: Windows Update Caused Computer to Crash
Do use it when its a microsoft friver for a Microsoft devicel