Windows update & Defender not downloading

Jorge Bravo

Windows update & Defender not downloading
I am unable to download updates. Sometimes I get a message like: 'The web
detected a problem and cannot show the page you are trying to see' and then
suggests a number of possible causes. If I refresh I eventualy get the
download button and the list of updates. However, after some delay it tells
me that the download failed. It seems to be related to 0x80246008.

I have managed to update manually, except for the Defender update which I
cannot find anywhere on the MS site.

I have looked at Background Intelligent Transfer Service and when I press
the tart button I get Error 2: the system could not find the specified file.
Also, in the Event Viewer/Services/System I get error 7023 along with 10010
which may be, or not , related.

So, it appears that this file is missing or corrupt. How can I solve it?

I have scanned with resident Avast in Boot-up mode; with Kaspersky and
HouseCall; with Spybot and Ad-Aware: all show the system is clean.

A couple of days ago I downloaded BBCi and RealPlayer programmes and thought
afterwards that something was not what it should be with the computer and
decided to uninstall them and restore to the previous day. I think this may
have caused the curent problems.

Help!!!

JB

Diana

Re: Windows update & Defender not downloading
Hello,

You can download bits and reinstall it: I placed the links below for Winxp
and Vista, since I did not see where you mentioned your OS:

842322 Update available for WinHTTP for Windows XP
http://vkbexternal/VKBWebService/Vie...B;EN-US;842322

940520 An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer

Diana

Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
CSS Security Team

"Jorge Bravo" <open@closed.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to download updates. Sometimes I get a message like: 'The web
> detected a problem and cannot show the page you are trying to see' and
> then
> suggests a number of possible causes. If I refresh I eventualy get the
> download button and the list of updates. However, after some delay it
> tells
> me that the download failed. It seems to be related to 0x80246008.
>
> I have managed to update manually, except for the Defender update which I
> cannot find anywhere on the MS site.
>
> I have looked at Background Intelligent Transfer Service and when I press
> the tart button I get Error 2: the system could not find the specified
> file. Also, in the Event Viewer/Services/System I get error 7023 along
> with 10010 which may be, or not , related.
>
> So, it appears that this file is missing or corrupt. How can I solve it?
>
> I have scanned with resident Avast in Boot-up mode; with Kaspersky and
> HouseCall; with Spybot and Ad-Aware: all show the system is clean.
>
> A couple of days ago I downloaded BBCi and RealPlayer programmes and
> thought
> afterwards that something was not what it should be with the computer and
> decided to uninstall them and restore to the previous day. I think this
> may
> have caused the curent problems.
>
> Help!!!
>
> JB

Re: Windows update & Defender not downloading
Jorge, PLEASE stop posting new threads about your problems! Doing so only
serves to delay resolving the problems.

When I replied to your most recent post, I crossposted my reply to WinXP
General and Windows Update newsgroups:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...d-0d5506d5a12d
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jorge Bravo wrote:
> I am unable to download updates. Sometimes I get a message like: 'The web
> detected a problem and cannot show the page you are trying to see' and
> then
> suggests a number of possible causes. If I refresh I eventualy get the
> download button and the list of updates. However, after some delay it
> tells
> me that the download failed. It seems to be related to 0x80246008...

Jorge Bravo

Re: Windows update & Defender not downloading
Hello Diana

When I press the link for XP I get a warning on a white page:

Intranet settings are now turned off by default. Intrane settings are less
secure than internet settings. Click for options.

What does this mean? I'm rather suspicious of everything now...

JB

"Diana " <diasmith@microsoft.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Hello,
>
> You can download bits and reinstall it: I placed the links below for
> Winxp and Vista, since I did not see where you mentioned your OS:
>
> 842322 Update available for WinHTTP for Windows XP
> http://vkbexternal/VKBWebService/Vie...B;EN-US;842322
>
> 940520 An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;940520
>
> Diana
>
> Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
> CSS Security Team

> rights.
>
> "Jorge Bravo" <open@closed.com> wrote in message
>>I am unable to download updates. Sometimes I get a message like: 'The web
>> detected a problem and cannot show the page you are trying to see' and
>> then
>> suggests a number of possible causes. If I refresh I eventualy get the
>> download button and the list of updates. However, after some delay it
>> tells
>> me that the download failed. It seems to be related to 0x80246008.
>>
>> I have managed to update manually, except for the Defender update which I
>> cannot find anywhere on the MS site.
>>
>> I have looked at Background Intelligent Transfer Service and when I press
>> the tart button I get Error 2: the system could not find the specified
>> file. Also, in the Event Viewer/Services/System I get error 7023 along
>> with 10010 which may be, or not , related.
>>
>> So, it appears that this file is missing or corrupt. How can I solve it?
>>
>> I have scanned with resident Avast in Boot-up mode; with Kaspersky and
>> HouseCall; with Spybot and Ad-Aware: all show the system is clean.
>>
>> A couple of days ago I downloaded BBCi and RealPlayer programmes and
>> thought
>> afterwards that something was not what it should be with the computer and
>> decided to uninstall them and restore to the previous day. I think this
>> may
>> have caused the curent problems.
>>
>> Help!!!
>>
>> JB

Diana

Re: Windows update & Defender not downloading
Please try this link:
842773 An update package that includes BITS 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 is available
for Windows Server 2003, for Windows XP, and for Windows 2000

Diana

> Jorge, PLEASE stop posting new threads about your problems! Doing so only
> serves to delay resolving the problems.
>
> When I replied to your most recent post, I crossposted my reply to WinXP
> General and Windows Update newsgroups:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...d-0d5506d5a12d
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Jorge Bravo wrote:
>> I am unable to download updates. Sometimes I get a message like: 'The web
>> detected a problem and cannot show the page you are trying to see' and
>> then
>> suggests a number of possible causes. If I refresh I eventualy get the
>> download button and the list of updates. However, after some delay it
>> tells
>> me that the download failed. It seems to be related to 0x80246008...

Jorge Bravo

Re: Windows update & Defender not downloading
Thank you Diana

When I start the download a box comes up aying that the Setup has detected
that the SP vrsion of this system is newer than the update , and that there
is no need to install

So, back to the beginning. First, is there a way of finding out where this
file is or is not on th computer; and if it is to get rid of it so that a
copy can be installed?

Thanks for your help

news69E4213-BCE4-4C8F-A0BC-33C735CB8478@microsoft.com...
> Please try this link:
> 842773 An update package that includes BITS 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 is
> available for Windows Server 2003, for Windows XP, and for Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;842773
>
> Diana

>> Jorge, PLEASE stop posting new threads about your problems! Doing so
>> only
>> serves to delay resolving the problems.
>>
>> When I replied to your most recent post, I crossposted my reply to WinXP
>> General and Windows Update newsgroups:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...d-0d5506d5a12d
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Jorge Bravo wrote:
>>> I am unable to download updates. Sometimes I get a message like: 'The
>>> web
>>> detected a problem and cannot show the page you are trying to see' and
>>> then
>>> suggests a number of possible causes. If I refresh I eventualy get the
>>> download button and the list of updates. However, after some delay it
>>> tells
>>> me that the download failed. It seems to be related to 0x80246008...

Re: Windows update & Defender not downloading
[I believe Jorge's sudden, new problems are being caused by a hijackware
infection, Diana. And why did you reply to my post?]