Re: Windows Update & Defender not dowloading

Re: Windows Update & Defender not dowloading
Jorge, always reply to your original thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a670ef1be00540

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the
"0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft
Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

Despite the fact that none of your scans found anything, your machine still
may be infected with hijackware.

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jorge Bravo wrote:
> I am unable to download updates. Sometimes I get a message like: 'The web
> detected a problem and cannot show the page you are trying to see' and
> then
> suggests a number of possible causes. If I refresh I eventualy get the
> download button and the list of updates. However, after some delay it
> tells
> me that the download failed. It seems to be related to 0x80246008.
>
> I have managed to update manually, except for the Defender update which I
> cannot find anywhere on the MS site.
>
> I have scanned with resident Avast in Boot-up mode; with Kaspersky and
> HouseCall; with Spybot and Ad-Aware: all show the system is clean.
>
> A couple of days ago I downloaded BBCi and RealPlayer programmes and
> thought
> afterwards that something was not what it should be with the computer and
> decided to uninstall them and restore to the previous day. I think this
> may
> have caused the curent problems.
>
> Help!!!
>
> JB

Jorge Bravo

Re: Windows Update & Defender not dowloading
Thanks

In fact, I updated my original thread regarding Background Intelligent
Transfer Service as it appears that a file is missing to do with it. Can
you help?

JB

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
> [...]
>> download button and the list of updates. However, after some delay it
>> tells
>> me that the download failed. It seems to be related to 0x80246008.
>>
>> I have managed to update manually, except for the Defender update which I
>> cannot find anywhere on the MS site.
>>
>> I have scanned with resident Avast in Boot-up mode; with Kaspersky and
>> HouseCall; with Spybot and Ad-Aware: all show the system is clean.
>>
>> A couple of days ago I downloaded BBCi and RealPlayer programmes and
>> thought
>> afterwards that something was not what it should be with the computer and
>> decided to uninstall them and restore to the previous day. I think this
>> may
>> have caused the curent problems.
>>
>> Help!!!
>>
>> JB

Re: Windows Update & Defender not dowloading
Yes, you updated your original thread but you replied to yourself, not my
post.

The missing BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is due to the
hijackware infection. You will not be able to install critical security
updates and Defender definitions until you've removed all traces of the
hijackware with the assistance of an expert in such matters. Post a copy of
your HijackThis log in one of the forums I cited in my previous reply.

If you choose to post your log in AumHa Forums
(http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30), see
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=4075 before you post your log.