Need Service Packs

Mort

Need Service Packs
I just reinstalled Windows XP Home on my old computer using the
reinstall disk that came from Dell. (It was totally bogged down and
extremely slow). Checking Properties, I see that no service packs are
installed at all.

How can I download and install all 3 service packs (1, 2 and 3) on the
machine?

If I only download SP3 will that also install the others as well?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Alan

Re: Need Service Packs
Hi Mort,

In order to install SP3, you need either SP1 or SP2 to first be installed, .

So, if your XP is only at the XP 'Gold' level, first download and install
SP1 and then download and install SP3.

Alan

"Mort" <mortn@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just reinstalled Windows XP Home on my old computer using the reinstall
>disk that came from Dell. (It was totally bogged down and extremely slow).
>Checking Properties, I see that no service packs are installed at all.
>
> How can I download and install all 3 service packs (1, 2 and 3) on the
> machine?
>
> If I only download SP3 will that also install the others as well?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

TaurArian

Re: Need Service Packs
Doubt you'll find SP1 - go for SP2 then SP3

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)

Keep the file in case you ever need it again.

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2

For SP3 when ready -

Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Alan" <somewhere@nospam.not> wrote in message
> Hi Mort,
>
> In order to install SP3, you need either SP1 or SP2 to first be installed,
> .
>
> So, if your XP is only at the XP 'Gold' level, first download and install
> SP1 and then download and install SP3.
>
> Alan
>
> "Mort" <mortn@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I just reinstalled Windows XP Home on my old computer using the reinstall
>>disk that came from Dell. (It was totally bogged down and extremely slow).
>>Checking Properties, I see that no service packs are installed at all.
>>
>> How can I download and install all 3 service packs (1, 2 and 3) on the
>> machine?
>>
>> If I only download SP3 will that also install the others as well?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mort

Re: Need Service Packs
Where can I find SP1?

Alan wrote:
> Hi Mort,
>
> In order to install SP3, you need either SP1 or SP2 to first be installed, .
>
> So, if your XP is only at the XP 'Gold' level, first download and install
> SP1 and then download and install SP3.
>
> Alan
>
> "Mort" <mortn@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I just reinstalled Windows XP Home on my old computer using the reinstall
> >disk that came from Dell. (It was totally bogged down and extremely slow).
> >Checking Properties, I see that no service packs are installed at all.
> >
> > How can I download and install all 3 service packs (1, 2 and 3) on the
> > machine?
> >
> > If I only download SP3 will that also install the others as well?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Need Service Packs

TaurArian wrote:
> Doubt you'll find SP1 - go for SP2 then SP3

<snipped>

Yes. True. SP1a for Windows XP - no problem!

Windows XP SP1a for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)

Windows XP SP2 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)

Windows XP SP3 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)

Good luck and follow the advice elsewhere in this thread (SP1a or SP2 first,
make sure hardware drivers are updated, may work better if you disconnect
from the Internet and disable your AV software while installing the service
packs.)

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Alan

Re: Need Service Packs
Mort,

Shenan Stanley already posted this for SP1a -- which replaced SP1 -- but in
case you aren't seeing his reply, here's the link:

> Where can I find SP1?
>
> Alan wrote:
>> Hi Mort,
>>
>> In order to install SP3, you need either SP1 or SP2 to first be
>> installed, .
>>
>> So, if your XP is only at the XP 'Gold' level, first download and install
>> SP1 and then download and install SP3.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> "Mort" <mortn@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >I just reinstalled Windows XP Home on my old computer using the
>> >reinstall disk that came from Dell. (It was totally bogged down and
>> >extremely slow). Checking Properties, I see that no service packs are
>> >installed at all.
>> >
>> > How can I download and install all 3 service packs (1, 2 and 3) on the
>> > machine?
>> >
>> > If I only download SP3 will that also install the others as well?
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Need Service Packs
See these instructions in a recent related thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Mort wrote:
> I just reinstalled Windows XP Home on my old computer using the
> reinstall disk that came from Dell. (It was totally bogged down and
> extremely slow). Checking Properties, I see that no service packs are
> installed at all.
>
> How can I download and install all 3 service packs (1, 2 and 3) on the
> machine?
>
> If I only download SP3 will that also install the others as well?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mort

Re: Need Service Packs
Thank you PA Bear for the quick response.
I am running into the following problem:

The new computer only has XP Home loaded (no Service Packs). It is not
on any network as yet so it cannot be connected to the internet. I plan
to download the service packs you suggested in your response to the
desktop of MY computer and copy to a CD so that they can be transferred
to my wife's computer.
When trying to download SP2 as suggested, the site you list indicates
that it is only intended for multiple installations. I went to Windows
Update site, but I cannot find the SP2 download for a single installation.
Where can I find the download I need?

Thanx again for your help.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> See these instructions in a recent related thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

Shenan Stanley

Re: Need Service Packs
Mort wrote:
<snip>
> When trying to download SP2 as suggested, the site you list
> indicates that it is only intended for multiple installations. I
> went to Windows Update site, but I cannot find the SP2 download for
> a single installation. Where can I find the download I need?

<snip>

Ignore the message - it will work on a single installation, multiple
installations, for IT administrators, for Developers, for anyone who wants
to download it and run it on a system that needs it.

Windows XP SP1a for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)

Windows XP SP2 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)

Windows XP SP3 for IT Professionals (it works for anyone really)

Good luck and follow the advice elsewhere in this thread (SP1a or SP2 first,
make sure hardware drivers are updated, may work better if you disconnect
from the Internet and disable your AV software while installing the service
packs.)

(Also posted that earlier.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Need Service Packs
Ignore the "for multiple installations only" warning.