Windows Vista 64bit update jamming

hjok2008

Windows Vista 64bit update jamming
For few weeks time there has been any updates, latest 17th Oct, 2008. When I
start manual update Windows Update starts looking for updates and goes on and
on. It does not give any msg that there has not been any updates.

The same thing is for Defender updates.

Has someone a solution for this problem?

Re: Windows Vista 64bit update jamming
Is Automatic Updates enabled? Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 currently?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

hjok2008 wrote:
> For few weeks time there has been any updates, latest 17th Oct, 2008. When
> start manual update Windows Update starts looking for updates and goes on
> and on. It does not give any msg that there has not been any updates.
>
> The same thing is for Defender updates.
>
> Has someone a solution for this problem?

hjok2008

Re: Windows Vista 64bit update jamming
Automatic Updates are enabled and it's Vista SP1.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 currently?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> hjok2008 wrote:
> > For few weeks time there has been any updates, latest 17th Oct, 2008. When
> > start manual update Windows Update starts looking for updates and goes on
> > and on. It does not give any msg that there has not been any updates.
> >
> > The same thing is for Defender updates.
> >
> > Has someone a solution for this problem?

Re: Windows Vista 64bit update jamming
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!

=====================
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

Or you may post any errors found in a reply to this post.
===========================

Or you might...

Support for Windows Update:
~PA Bear

hjok2008 wrote:
> Automatic Updates are enabled and it's Vista SP1.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Are you running Vista or Vista SP1
>> currently?
>> ~~
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> hjok2008 wrote:
>>> For few weeks time there has been any updates, latest 17th Oct, 2008.
>>> When I
>>> start manual update Windows Update starts looking for updates and goes
>>> on
>>> and on. It does not give any msg that there has not been any updates.
>>>
>>> The same thing is for Defender updates.
>>>
>>> Has someone a solution for this problem?

hjok2008

Re: Windows Vista 64bit update jamming
At this moment I'm using Windows Firewall and Webroot's Spy Sweeper 6.0 and
Avira AntiVir 8.2 Premium. I have had these applications earlier and there
was not this problem earlier.

I deactivate Spy Sweeper and AntiVir but Windows update don't work. It is
just looking for updates. I updated Defender manually as it don't find any
update although manually I found newer than that was in Defender.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
> AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
> attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
> firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!
>
> =====================
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>
> Or you may post any errors found in a reply to this post.
> ===========================
>
> Or you might...

> Support for Windows Update:
> ~PA Bear
>
> hjok2008 wrote:
> > Automatic Updates are enabled and it's Vista SP1.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Are you running Vista or Vista SP1
> >> currently?
> >> ~~
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

hjok2008

Re: Windows Vista 64bit update jamming
Latest x64 update which is installed is KB956841 ‎on 17th Oct, ‎2008 21:13
localtime.

"hjok2008" wrote:

> At this moment I'm using Windows Firewall and Webroot's Spy Sweeper 6.0 and
> Avira AntiVir 8.2 Premium. I have had these applications earlier and there
> was not this problem earlier.
>
> I deactivate Spy Sweeper and AntiVir but Windows update don't work. It is
> just looking for updates. I updated Defender manually as it don't find any
> update although manually I found newer than that was in Defender.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> > What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >
> > Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> > anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
> > AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
> > attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
> > firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!
> >
> > =====================
> > How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> > Update Services installation issues:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
> >
> > 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
> > http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
> >
> > 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
> >
> > 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> > associated with the download/install.
> >
> > How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
> >
> > 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> > and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
> > link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
> >
> > Or you may post any errors found in a reply to this post.
> > ===========================
> >
> > Or you might...
> >
> > Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >
> > Support for Windows Update:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >
> > hjok2008 wrote:
> > > Automatic Updates are enabled and it's Vista SP1.

Re: Windows Vista 64bit update jamming
> Latest x64 update which is installed is KB956841 ‎on 17th Oct, ‎2008 21:13
> localtime.

Not good at all!

Are you running the 30-day free trial version of Spysweeper? If so, when
did you install it and why? Have you tried disabling all Spysweeper Guards?

What errors might you have found in the WindowsUpdate.log?

When did you install Vista SP1? Did you install it manually or via Windows
Update? Did you disable all Spysweeper Guards and all AntiVir components
before you installed SP1?

Have you opened a free support incident?
--
~PA Bear

hjok2008 wrote:
> Latest x64 update which is installed is KB956841 ‎on 17th Oct, ‎2008 21:13
> localtime.
>
>> At this moment I'm using Windows Firewall and Webroot's Spy Sweeper 6.0
>> and
>> Avira AntiVir 8.2 Premium. I have had these applications earlier and
>> there
>> was not this problem earlier.
>>
>> I deactivate Spy Sweeper and AntiVir but Windows update don't work. It is
>> just looking for updates. I updated Defender manually as it don't find
>> any
>> update although manually I found newer than that was in Defender.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>>
>>> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
>>> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea
>>> Timer,
>>> AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
>>> attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
>>> firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!
>>>
>>> =====================
>>> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
>>> Update Services installation issues:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>>>
>>> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
>>> of http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>>>
>>> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>>
>>> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
>>> associated with the download/install.
>>>
>>> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>>>
>>> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
>>> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and
>>> Support link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>>>
>>> Or you may post any errors found in a reply to this post.
>>> ===========================
>>>
>>> Or you might...
>>>
>>> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>>>
>>> Support for Windows Update:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

hjok2008

Re: Windows Vista 64bit update jamming
Spy Sweeper is not free trail as I have had it about 2 years. Version 6.0
from 18th Oct, 2008.

I have tried to find windowsupdate.log using search w/o luck. Where this log
file is?

SP1 is installed immedeately after Vista.

I have not opened a free support incident yet.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > Latest x64 update which is installed is KB956841 ‎on 17th Oct, ‎2008 21:13
> > localtime.

> Not good at all!
>
> Are you running the 30-day free trial version of Spysweeper? If so, when
> did you install it and why? Have you tried disabling all Spysweeper Guards?
>
> What errors might you have found in the WindowsUpdate.log?
>
> When did you install Vista SP1? Did you install it manually or via Windows
> Update? Did you disable all Spysweeper Guards and all AntiVir components
> before you installed SP1?
>
> Have you opened a free support incident?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> hjok2008 wrote:
> > Latest x64 update which is installed is KB956841 ‎on 17th Oct, ‎2008 21:13
> > localtime.
> >
> >> At this moment I'm using Windows Firewall and Webroot's Spy Sweeper 6.0
> >> and
> >> Avira AntiVir 8.2 Premium. I have had these applications earlier and
> >> there
> >> was not this problem earlier.
> >>
> >> I deactivate Spy Sweeper and AntiVir but Windows update don't work. It is
> >> just looking for updates. I updated Defender manually as it don't find
> >> any
> >> update although manually I found newer than that was in Defender.

hjok2008

Re: Windows Vista 64bit update jamming

I uninstalled SpySweeper and run regcleaner but WindowsUpdate don't work.

"hjok2008" wrote:

> Spy Sweeper is not free trail as I have had it about 2 years. Version 6.0
> from 18th Oct, 2008.
>
> I have tried to find windowsupdate.log using search w/o luck. Where this log
> file is?
>
> SP1 is installed immedeately after Vista.
>
> I have not opened a free support incident yet.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > > Latest x64 update which is installed is KB956841 ‎on 17th Oct, ‎2008 21:13
> > > localtime.

> > Not good at all!
> >
> > Are you running the 30-day free trial version of Spysweeper? If so, when
> > did you install it and why? Have you tried disabling all Spysweeper Guards?
> >
> > What errors might you have found in the WindowsUpdate.log?
> >
> > When did you install Vista SP1? Did you install it manually or via Windows
> > Update? Did you disable all Spysweeper Guards and all AntiVir components
> > before you installed SP1?
> >
> > Have you opened a free support incident?
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >
> > hjok2008 wrote:
> > > Latest x64 update which is installed is KB956841 ‎on 17th Oct, ‎2008 21:13
> > > localtime.

Re: Windows Vista 64bit update jamming
You've just shot yourself in the other foot, I'm afraid. Think your
Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

I am no longer Watching this thread.