Windows Update

Joker-Del

Windows Update
I have Windows Update automatically update my PC. The Update Icon sits in
the System Try forever at 0 or 13%. It slows the whole system down to the
point that other programs fail to response for long periods of time. If I go
to the Windows Update Shortcut and execute the program, even thought a copy
is still in the tray, it downloads all the updates without a problem. Then
it wakes up the one in the system tray and that one wants to update the
system. After a restart, everything returns to normal. A little background:
I have the old Microsoft Update Shortcut still available, and I am running
Anti-virus software but even after disabling the anti-virus software it
doesn't resolve the issue. Any ideas??

Re: Windows Update
Absent any serious numerical Errors in your windowsupdate.log, you may be
seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the servers ("Update is not
allowed to download due to regulation"). It can take up to 7 days or more
(sometimes much more) for all Automatic Update users to get new updates.
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340

You can try downloading/installing the updates via Windows/Microsoft Update
(WinXP) or running Windows Update manually (Vista) instead: Understand that
by doing so, you're pushing all the Automatic Updates users further back in
the queue (which may explain, at least in part, why Automatic Updates hasn't
brought them in for you yet).
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Joker-Del wrote:
> I have Windows Update automatically update my PC. The Update Icon sits in
> the System Try forever at 0 or 13%. It slows the whole system down to the
> point that other programs fail to response for long periods of time. If I
> go
> to the Windows Update Shortcut and execute the program, even thought a
> copy
> is still in the tray, it downloads all the updates without a problem.
> Then
> it wakes up the one in the system tray and that one wants to update the
> system. After a restart, everything returns to normal. A little
> background: I have the old Microsoft Update Shortcut still available, and
> am running Anti-virus software but even after disabling the anti-virus
> software it doesn't resolve the issue. Any ideas??

Joker-Del

Re: Windows Update
After reviewing the log, I found that the orginal update sitting in the tray
had tons of retries of: WARNING: Shell_NotifyIcon failed (dwMessage=0x1,
uFlags=0x4, hr=0x800705B4) these messages continued until I started the
second copy of Windows update.

Joker-Del

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Absent any serious numerical Errors in your windowsupdate.log, you may be
> seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the servers ("Update is not
> allowed to download due to regulation"). It can take up to 7 days or more
> (sometimes much more) for all Automatic Update users to get new updates.
> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340
>
> You can try downloading/installing the updates via Windows/Microsoft Update
> (WinXP) or running Windows Update manually (Vista) instead: Understand that
> by doing so, you're pushing all the Automatic Updates users further back in
> the queue (which may explain, at least in part, why Automatic Updates hasn't
> brought them in for you yet).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Joker-Del wrote:
> > I have Windows Update automatically update my PC. The Update Icon sits in
> > the System Try forever at 0 or 13%. It slows the whole system down to the
> > point that other programs fail to response for long periods of time. If I
> > go
> > to the Windows Update Shortcut and execute the program, even thought a
> > copy
> > is still in the tray, it downloads all the updates without a problem.
> > Then
> > it wakes up the one in the system tray and that one wants to update the
> > system. After a restart, everything returns to normal. A little
> > background: I have the old Microsoft Update Shortcut still available, and
> > am running Anti-virus software but even after disabling the anti-virus
> > software it doesn't resolve the issue. Any ideas??

Re: Windows Update
0x800705B4 = Error_Timeout

Translation: Server too busy, Automatic Updates will try again later.

Joker-Del wrote:
> After reviewing the log, I found that the orginal update sitting in the
> tray
> had tons of retries of: WARNING: Shell_NotifyIcon failed (dwMessage=0x1,
> uFlags=0x4, hr=0x800705B4) these messages continued until I started the
> second copy of Windows update.
>
> Joker-Del
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Absent any serious numerical Errors in your windowsupdate.log, you may be
>> seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the servers ("Update is not
>> allowed to download due to regulation"). It can take up to 7 days or
>> more
>> (sometimes much more) for all Automatic Update users to get new updates.
>> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340
>>
>> You can try downloading/installing the updates via Windows/Microsoft
>> Update
>> (WinXP) or running Windows Update manually (Vista) instead: Understand
>> that
>> by doing so, you're pushing all the Automatic Updates users further back
>> in
>> the queue (which may explain, at least in part, why Automatic Updates
>> hasn't brought them in for you yet).
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Joker-Del wrote:
>>> I have Windows Update automatically update my PC. The Update Icon sits
>>> in
>>> the System Try forever at 0 or 13%. It slows the whole system down to
>>> the
>>> point that other programs fail to response for long periods of time. If
>>> go
>>> to the Windows Update Shortcut and execute the program, even thought a
>>> copy
>>> is still in the tray, it downloads all the updates without a problem.
>>> Then
>>> it wakes up the one in the system tray and that one wants to update the
>>> system. After a restart, everything returns to normal. A little
>>> background: I have the old Microsoft Update Shortcut still available,
>>> and
>>> am running Anti-virus software but even after disabling the anti-virus
>>> software it doesn't resolve the issue. Any ideas??

Joker-Del

RE: Windows Update
Thanks................I will make sure the Windows Update does an auto
install in the early morning hours................maybe this will help.

Thanks again!

"Joker-Del" wrote:

> I have Windows Update automatically update my PC. The Update Icon sits in
> the System Try forever at 0 or 13%. It slows the whole system down to the
> point that other programs fail to response for long periods of time. If I go
> to the Windows Update Shortcut and execute the program, even thought a copy
> is still in the tray, it downloads all the updates without a problem. Then
> it wakes up the one in the system tray and that one wants to update the
> system. After a restart, everything returns to normal. A little background:
> I have the old Microsoft Update Shortcut still available, and I am running
> Anti-virus software but even after disabling the anti-virus software it
> doesn't resolve the issue. Any ideas??

Re: Windows Update
And you're replying to...?

Joker-Del wrote:
> Thanks................I will make sure the Windows Update does an auto
> install in the early morning hours................maybe this will help.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> "Joker-Del" wrote:
>
>> I have Windows Update automatically update my PC. The Update Icon sits
>> in
>> the System Try forever at 0 or 13%. It slows the whole system down to the
>> point that other programs fail to response for long periods of time. If I
>> go to the Windows Update Shortcut and execute the program, even thought a
>> copy is still in the tray, it downloads all the updates without a
>> problem.
>> Then it wakes up the one in the system tray and that one wants to update
>> the system. After a restart, everything returns to normal. A little
>> background: I have the old Microsoft Update Shortcut still available,
>> and
>> I am running Anti-virus software but even after disabling the anti-virus
>> software it doesn't resolve the issue. Any ideas??

loly2oo4@hotmail.com

Re: Windows Update