KB954430 on laptop, not desktop

Jo-Anne

KB954430 on laptop, not desktop
I have a desktop computer running WinXP Home SP3 and a laptop running WinXP
Pro SP3. In checking the November updates today, I found KB954430 (Security
Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2) available for my
laptop computer but not for my desktop computer. I read the information at
the Microsoft site about the systems that are supposed to need this update,
and there's no mention of a difference between XP Home and XP Pro. Any idea
of why the update isn't being offered for my desktop computer?

Also, I notice that once installed, this update can't be removed. If it
causes a problem, would System Restore "remove" it?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB954430 on laptop, not desktop
Answers inline:

Jo-Anne wrote:

> I have a desktop computer running WinXP Home SP3 and a laptop running WinXP
> Pro SP3. In checking the November updates today, I found KB954430 (Security
> Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2) available for my
> laptop computer but not for my desktop computer. I read the information at
> the Microsoft site about the systems that are supposed to need this update,
> and there's no mention of a difference between XP Home and XP Pro. Any idea
> of why the update isn't being offered for my desktop computer?

The OS listing means that *IF* MSXML 4 has been installed then the
update is needed. Since it hasn't been offered to the desktop then,
apparently, it hasn't been installed to it. MSXML 3 is native to Windows XP.

> Also, I notice that once installed, this update can't be removed. If it
> causes a problem, would System Restore "remove" it?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

From the Security Bulletin - MS08-069 – CriticalVulnerabilities in
Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution (955218)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-069.mspx

> Removal Information
> For Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 when installed on Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP
> Service Pack 3:
> This version of Microsoft XML Core Services is installed in a side-by-side mode with previous
> versions of MSXML4. Follow the steps in the Removing the Update section to remove the security update.

Naturally, the info is under 'Deployment Information '

> Removing the Update
> • Removing MSXML 4.0
>
> This version of Microsoft XML Core Services is installed in a side-by-side mode with pervious
> versions of MSXML4. Follow these steps to remove the security update:
>
> 1. Remove the security update by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
>
> 2. Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
>
> 3.Repair previous Msxml4.dll by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
>
> Note The previous versions of the Msxml4.dll and Msxml4r.dll files are restored to both the
> %SystemRoot%\System32 folder and the side-by-side folder %SystemRoot%\WinSxS.

Determine the Version of MSXML Parser Installed on a Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278674

IF any Office Products listed on the Sec Bulletin page are installed
then suggest you use Internet Explorer and go here:

Microsoft Office Product Updates
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
Jo-Anne

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Answers inline:
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>
>> I have a desktop computer running WinXP Home SP3 and a laptop running
>> WinXP Pro SP3. In checking the November updates today, I found KB954430
>> (Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2)
>> available for my laptop computer but not for my desktop computer. I read
>> the information at the Microsoft site about the systems that are supposed
>> to need this update, and there's no mention of a difference between XP
>> Home and XP Pro. Any idea of why the update isn't being offered for my
>> desktop computer?

> The OS listing means that *IF* MSXML 4 has been installed then the update
> is needed. Since it hasn't been offered to the desktop then, apparently,
> it hasn't been installed to it. MSXML 3 is native to Windows XP.
>
>> Also, I notice that once installed, this update can't be removed. If it
>> causes a problem, would System Restore "remove" it?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

> From the Security Bulletin - MS08-069 – CriticalVulnerabilities in
> Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution (955218)
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-069.mspx
>
>> Removal Information
>> For Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 when installed on Windows XP Service
>> Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3:
>> This version of Microsoft XML Core Services is installed in a
>> side-by-side mode with previous versions of MSXML4. Follow the steps in
>> the Removing the Update section to remove the security update.

> Naturally, the info is under 'Deployment Information '
>
>> Removing the Update
>> • Removing MSXML 4.0
>>
>> This version of Microsoft XML Core Services is installed in a
>> side-by-side mode with pervious versions of MSXML4. Follow these steps to
>> remove the security update:
>>
>> 1. Remove the security update by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in
>> Control Panel.
>>
>> 2. Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
>>
>> 3.Repair previous Msxml4.dll by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in
>> Control Panel.
>>
>> Note The previous versions of the Msxml4.dll and Msxml4r.dll files are
>> restored to both the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder and the side-by-side
>> folder %SystemRoot%\WinSxS.

> Determine the Version of MSXML Parser Installed on a Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278674
>
> IF any Office Products listed on the Sec Bulletin page are installed then
> suggest you use Internet Explorer and go here:
>
> Microsoft Office Product Updates
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Thank you, MowGreen! I understand now why I'm not being offered one of the
updates on my desktop computer. As for removing this update if it's
problematic, it sounds like something I wouldn't want to attempt on my own.
Here's hoping I won't need to...

Jo-Anne

OBX

Re: KB954430 on laptop, not desktop
MowGreen

I am lost with your step 3 instruction to remove the security update. Step
3 says "Repair previous Msxml4.dll by using Add or remove Programs tool in
Control Panel. I see the 2 files in the system32 folder. If I delete the
Msxml4.dll file, then the only file left is the Msxml4r.dll. Is that all I
have to do to fix this annoying problem?