Update

des27

Update
My hard disk crashed and had to reinstall XP Pro. Since then Windows update
has not had any updates for the month of Oct. & Nov. When I run update it
finds nothing. I installed the new Windows update software and still nothing.
My other machine has had mmany updates since then. Any suggestions?
Engel

RE: Update
Hello des27,

Test this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

Reboot
-=-

Go ahead and download Dial-ª-Fix.
<http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>
Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-ª-fix
Click the Double green checkmark and click Go.

Reboot

Try the
<http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/>
and D/L your updates
-=-

For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"des27" wrote:

> My hard disk crashed and had to reinstall XP Pro. Since then Windows update
> has not had any updates for the month of Oct. & Nov. When I run update it
> finds nothing. I installed the new Windows update software and still nothing.
> My other machine has had mmany updates since then. Any suggestions?

TaurArian

Re: Update
Try the Automatic Updates and WindowsUpdate Reset tool
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

or

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows
Server Update Services installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

or

Check the Update log in Windows:-

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error
code(s) associated with the latest failed attempt to download/install. If
appropriate copy and paste the error codes into this thread so someone may
be able to assist you. On the other hand, you may be able to find the error
code and other suggestions by searching the Newsgroup.

Also check Windows folder for file called KB******.log (****** = number of
update ie KB896688) and post the contents of the failed update.
This may provide further clues as to why the update failed.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"des27" wrote:

> My hard disk crashed and had to reinstall XP Pro. Since then Windows update
> has not had any updates for the month of Oct. & Nov. When I run update it
> finds nothing. I installed the new Windows update software and still nothing.
> My other machine has had mmany updates since then. Any suggestions?

Neither of the responses worked. WGA was OK - Dial-a-fix stopped when it was
checking criptographic?? The same with (aureset) I will now look for the log
and see if I can post the log error. Log error (0X80029C4A) many times. Hope
this works.
Thanks
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Update
0X80029C4A TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY
Error loading type library/DLL.

This was a *clean* installation or a Repair Install of XP ?
Is there an antivirus/security suite installed and, if so, what is it ?

First step, open the Services console and check to see if Cryptographic
Services is Disabled on startup.
[Start > Run > type in services.msc , click OK]
Double left click Cryptographic Services to see if it's Disabled next to
Startup type. Set the startup type to Automatic if it had been Disabled.
If it's not Disabled, read on ...

Boot to Safe Mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Show hidden files, folders, and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

Open a Command Prompt [Start > Run > type in cmd, click OK]
At the prompt type in or copy&paste the following after the prompt and
then press Enter

ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
exit

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the following subfolder:
WINDOWS\ystem32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

Once in the {F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} subfolder, look for
all files that *start* with tmp. IF any exist, move them to the Recycle
Bin for now.

*** DO NOT move any files to the Recycle Bin that do NOT start with
tmp ***

Restart the system and then do Method 4: Reregister DLL files that are
associated with Cryptographic Services, here-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/

Restart the system and see if it can update now.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

des27 wrote:

> "des27" wrote:
>

>>My hard disk crashed and had to reinstall XP Pro. Since then Windows update
>>has not had any updates for the month of Oct. & Nov. When I run update it
>>finds nothing. I installed the new Windows update software and still nothing.
>>My other machine has had mmany updates since then. Any suggestions?

> Neither of the responses worked. WGA was OK - Dial-a-fix stopped when it was
> checking criptographic?? The same with (aureset) I will now look for the log
> and see if I can post the log error. Log error (0X80029C4A) many times. Hope
> this works.
> Thanks

des27

Re: Update
1 It was a clean installation.
2 The Criptographics was running in automatic
3 I rename the catroot32 to old catroot32
4 There were no temp files on{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
5 All reg were successful
Still no updates after reboot.
I got error 0x800B0001
Checked it out and registered all the new .dll except one
wuweb.dll,atl.dll did not work.
Still no updates.
What next?
Thanks

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 0X80029C4A TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY
> Error loading type library/DLL.
>
> This was a *clean* installation or a Repair Install of XP ?
> Is there an antivirus/security suite installed and, if so, what is it ?
>
> First step, open the Services console and check to see if Cryptographic
> Services is Disabled on startup.
> [Start > Run > type in services.msc , click OK]
> Double left click Cryptographic Services to see if it's Disabled next to
> Startup type. Set the startup type to Automatic if it had been Disabled.
> If it's not Disabled, read on ...
>
> Boot to Safe Mode:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
>
> Show hidden files, folders, and system files:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>
> Open a Command Prompt [Start > Run > type in cmd, click OK]
> At the prompt type in or copy&paste the following after the prompt and
> then press Enter
>
> ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
> exit
>
> Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the following subfolder:
> WINDOWS\ystem32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
>
> Once in the {F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} subfolder, look for
> all files that *start* with tmp. IF any exist, move them to the Recycle
> Bin for now.
>
> *** DO NOT move any files to the Recycle Bin that do NOT start with
> tmp ***
>
> Restart the system and then do Method 4: Reregister DLL files that are
> associated with Cryptographic Services, here-
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/
>
> Restart the system and see if it can update now.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> des27 wrote:
>

> > "des27" wrote:
> >

> >>My hard disk crashed and had to reinstall XP Pro. Since then Windows update
> >>has not had any updates for the month of Oct. & Nov. When I run update it
> >>finds nothing. I installed the new Windows update software and still nothing.
> >>My other machine has had mmany updates since then. Any suggestions?

> > Neither of the responses worked. WGA was OK - Dial-a-fix stopped when it was
> > checking criptographic?? The same with (aureset) I will now look for the log
> > and see if I can post the log error. Log error (0X80029C4A) many times. Hope
> > this works.
> > Thanks

Re: Update
Repost:

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
--
~PA Bear

des27 wrote:
> 1 It was a clean installation.
> 2 The Criptographics was running in automatic
> 3 I rename the catroot32 to old catroot32
> 4 There were no temp files on{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
> 5 All reg were successful
> Still no updates after reboot.
> I got error 0x800B0001
> Checked it out and registered all the new .dll except one
> wuweb.dll,atl.dll did not work.
> Still no updates.
> What next?
> Thanks
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 0X80029C4A TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY
>> Error loading type library/DLL.
>>
>> This was a *clean* installation or a Repair Install of XP ?
>> Is there an antivirus/security suite installed and, if so, what is it ?
>>
>> First step, open the Services console and check to see if Cryptographic
>> Services is Disabled on startup.
>> [Start > Run > type in services.msc , click OK]
>> Double left click Cryptographic Services to see if it's Disabled next to
>> Startup type. Set the startup type to Automatic if it had been Disabled.
>> If it's not Disabled, read on ...
>>
>> Boot to Safe Mode:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
>>
>> Show hidden files, folders, and system files:
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>>
>> Open a Command Prompt [Start > Run > type in cmd, click OK]
>> At the prompt type in or copy&paste the following after the prompt and
>> then press Enter
>>
>> ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
>> exit
>>
>> Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the following subfolder:
>> WINDOWS\ystem32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
>>
>> Once in the {F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} subfolder, look for
>> all files that *start* with tmp. IF any exist, move them to the Recycle
>> Bin for now.
>>
>> *** DO NOT move any files to the Recycle Bin that do NOT start with
>> tmp ***
>>
>> Restart the system and then do Method 4: Reregister DLL files that are
>> associated with Cryptographic Services, here-
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/
>>
>> Restart the system and see if it can update now.
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> des27 wrote:

>>> Neither of the responses worked. WGA was OK - Dial-a-fix stopped when it
>>> was checking criptographic?? The same with (aureset) I will now look for
>>> the log and see if I can post the log error. Log error (0X80029C4A) many
>>> times. Hope this works.
>>> Thanks

des27

Re: Update
I have done all the steps suggested and still cannot get any updates. Should
I reformat the hard drive and do a clean install?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repost:
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> des27 wrote:
> > 1 It was a clean installation.
> > 2 The Criptographics was running in automatic
> > 3 I rename the catroot32 to old catroot32
> > 4 There were no temp files on{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
> > 5 All reg were successful
> > Still no updates after reboot.
> > I got error 0x800B0001
> > Checked it out and registered all the new .dll except one
> > wuweb.dll,atl.dll did not work.
> > Still no updates.
> > What next?
> > Thanks
> >
> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> 0X80029C4A TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY
> >> Error loading type library/DLL.
> >>
> >> This was a *clean* installation or a Repair Install of XP ?
> >> Is there an antivirus/security suite installed and, if so, what is it ?
> >>
> >> First step, open the Services console and check to see if Cryptographic
> >> Services is Disabled on startup.
> >> [Start > Run > type in services.msc , click OK]
> >> Double left click Cryptographic Services to see if it's Disabled next to
> >> Startup type. Set the startup type to Automatic if it had been Disabled.
> >> If it's not Disabled, read on ...
> >>
> >> Boot to Safe Mode:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
> >>
> >> Show hidden files, folders, and system files:
> >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
> >>
> >> Open a Command Prompt [Start > Run > type in cmd, click OK]
> >> At the prompt type in or copy&paste the following after the prompt and
> >> then press Enter
> >>
> >> ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
> >> exit
> >>
> >> Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the following subfolder:
> >> WINDOWS\ystem32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
> >>
> >> Once in the {F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} subfolder, look for
> >> all files that *start* with tmp. IF any exist, move them to the Recycle
> >> Bin for now.
> >>
> >> *** DO NOT move any files to the Recycle Bin that do NOT start with
> >> tmp ***
> >>
> >> Restart the system and then do Method 4: Reregister DLL files that are
> >> associated with Cryptographic Services, here-
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/
> >>
> >> Restart the system and see if it can update now.
> >>

> >> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> >> ===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >> Never Forgotten
> >> ===============

TaurArian

Re: Update
What's the point, you've already done a clean install and you can't update.
Will that change if you do it again?

FYI -

Error code when you try to use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install
updates: "0x800B0001"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958045

See also:

You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you receive the
0x800B0001 error.
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

--

>I have done all the steps suggested and still cannot get any updates.
>Should
> I reformat the hard drive and do a clean install?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Repost:
>>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft
>> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
>> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> des27 wrote:
>> > 1 It was a clean installation.
>> > 2 The Criptographics was running in automatic
>> > 3 I rename the catroot32 to old catroot32
>> > 4 There were no temp files on{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
>> > 5 All reg were successful
>> > Still no updates after reboot.
>> > I got error 0x800B0001
>> > Checked it out and registered all the new .dll except one
>> > wuweb.dll,atl.dll did not work.
>> > Still no updates.
>> > What next?
>> > Thanks

Re: Update
What TaurArian said.

Repost:
>>> This was a *clean* installation or a Repair Install of XP ?
>>> Is there an antivirus/security suite installed and, if so, what is it ?

Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
(you have the equivalent of a "new computer" after a Repair Install and a
Clean Install)
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html