Windows Update- Need Disk Space!!!

Acadieonline

Windows Update- Need Disk Space!!!
Help!

Am running Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and have partitioned off the
harddrive into 6gb for operating system and 28 gb for files. OS partition
has nothing else installed on it save Windows files.

Windows updates have slowly crept up and stolen all my free space and now I
have only 310 megs available on this drive. I delete .txt files and .log
files but have no room to apply new updates.

In my c:\windows\ folder, I see lots of folders with $ntuninstall names. I
have no intention of ever uninstalling any windows update so my question is
whether I can safely delete these folders to regain my disk space?

Thanks in advance

TaurArian

RE: Windows Update- Need Disk Space!!!
Folders that have uninstall as part of the name (for example
$NtUninstallKB282010$ which reside in C:\windows (hidden folders) are Window
Hot Fix Update folders/files) can be safely deleted (providing you never wish
to uninstall the updates). I would recommend leaving these folders for a
period of at least a month to make sure the update is working correctly.

These updates can be deleted individually or in multiples. To find out more
about the update/s go to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/XXXXXX
NB: XXXXXX = the actual number not including the "Q" or "KB"

Once you have deleted the uninstall folders/files, then go to Control Panel,
Add/Remove Programs. Select the matching Windows Hotfix Title relating the
update folder/file you have just deleted and select remove. You will get a
Windows error. This is because you have deleted the uninstall folder/files.
Just choose OK and the entry will be deleted from the Add/Remove Programs
Listing.

"Acadieonline" wrote:

> Help!
>
> Am running Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and have partitioned off the
> harddrive into 6gb for operating system and 28 gb for files. OS partition
> has nothing else installed on it save Windows files.
>
> Windows updates have slowly crept up and stolen all my free space and now I
> have only 310 megs available on this drive. I delete .txt files and .log
> files but have no room to apply new updates.
>
> In my c:\windows\ folder, I see lots of folders with $ntuninstall names. I
> have no intention of ever uninstalling any windows update so my question is
> whether I can safely delete these folders to regain my disk space?
>
> Thanks in advance

David B.

Re: Windows Update- Need Disk Space!!!
I can't even imagine why you allocated only 6GB for the OS, way too small,
as you have found out. Hard drives are cheap, sounds like a good time to
upgrade.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"Acadieonline" <Acadieonline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help!
>
> Am running Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and have partitioned off the
> harddrive into 6gb for operating system and 28 gb for files. OS partition
> has nothing else installed on it save Windows files.
>
> Windows updates have slowly crept up and stolen all my free space and now
> have only 310 megs available on this drive. I delete .txt files and .log
> files but have no room to apply new updates.
>
> In my c:\windows\ folder, I see lots of folders with $ntuninstall names.
> have no intention of ever uninstalling any windows update so my question
> is
> whether I can safely delete these folders to regain my disk space?
>
> Thanks in advance

Gis Bun

Re: Windows Update- Need Disk Space!!!
Looks like a small hard disk to begin with. Drives [IDE and SATA] are cheap
now. For $100 you can easily get a good 500GB or better.

"David B." wrote:

> I can't even imagine why you allocated only 6GB for the OS, way too small,
> as you have found out. Hard drives are cheap, sounds like a good time to
> upgrade.
>
> --
>
> ----
> Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm
>

> "Acadieonline" <Acadieonline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Help!
> >
> > Am running Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and have partitioned off the
> > harddrive into 6gb for operating system and 28 gb for files. OS partition
> > has nothing else installed on it save Windows files.
> >
> > Windows updates have slowly crept up and stolen all my free space and now
> > have only 310 megs available on this drive. I delete .txt files and .log
> > files but have no room to apply new updates.
> >
> > In my c:\windows\ folder, I see lots of folders with $ntuninstall names.
> > have no intention of ever uninstalling any windows update so my question
> > is
> > whether I can safely delete these folders to regain my disk space?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Gis Bun

RE: Windows Update- Need Disk Space!!!
Aside from TaurArian's suggestion here's a few:

1) Another hard disk
2) Shrink the IE cache to nothing [shouldn't use any browsing on a
production server]
3) Reduce the System Restore cache size
4) Move pagefile.sys to the other drivers [there are some issues here if you
do]
5) Check the temp folders for all users plus in \windows\temp