problem with windows update

pebbleshny

problem with windows update
i am running windows me and when i try to do the updates it tells me
administrator only ...i cant figure out how to change that...i tried doing
the fix thru the help menu but at the last 2 steps it says under policies
will be explorer its not there then it says there should be a key called
nowindowsupdate well i cant find that either..it wants me to change the value
data for that key...but i cant because its not there..so is there another way
or thing i can do to set myself as administrator..i am the only user on this
pc..thank you

Re: problem with windows update
[Crossposted to WinME General]

Did you just reinstall WinME? If not, when was the last time you were able
to reach & use Windows Update and were any updates offered at that time?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

pebbleshny wrote:
> i am running windows me and when i try to do the updates it tells me
> administrator only ...i cant figure out how to change that...i tried doing
> the fix thru the help menu but at the last 2 steps it says under policies
> will be explorer its not there then it says there should be a key called
> nowindowsupdate well i cant find that either..it wants me to change the
> value data for that key...but i cant because its not there..so is there
> another way or thing i can do to set myself as administrator..i am the
> only
> user on this pc..thank you

MowGreen [MVP]

pebbleshny wrote:

> i am running windows me and when i try to do the updates it tells me
> administrator only ...i cant figure out how to change that...i tried doing
> the fix thru the help menu but at the last 2 steps it says under policies
> will be explorer its not there then it says there should be a key called
> nowindowsupdate well i cant find that either..it wants me to change the value
> data for that key...but i cant because its not there..so is there another way
> or thing i can do to set myself as administrator..i am the only user on this
> pc..thank you

You're referring to this MSKB, correct ? -

You receive one or more error messages when the system administrator
disables Windows Update or Microsoft Update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326686

Please note the *ifs* here:

> 2. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand Software, expand Microsoft, expand Windows, expand
> CurrentVersion, and then expand Policies.
> 3. If the Windows Update key exists, click Windows Update.
> 4. In the right pane, if the DisableWindowsUpdateAccess DWORD value exists, right-click
> DisableWindowsUpdateAccess, and then click Delete.
> 5. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand Software, expand Microsoft, expand Windows, expand
> CurrentVersion, and then expand Policies.
> 6. If the Explorer key exists, click Explorer.
> 7. In the right pane, if a DisableWindowsUpdateAccess DWORD exists, right-click
> DisableWindowsUpdateAccess, and then click Delete.
> 8. In the right pane, if a NoWindowsUpdate DWORD value exists, right-click NoWindowsUpdate, and
> then click Delete.

Same goes for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.

Are none of the keys present ? If so, then malware or the installed
antivirus may be causing the Admin only message.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten