windows ME

Stone man

windows ME
Inherited a desktop pc that has windows ME on it. I am trying to load AVG
antivirus, the system will not allow this as a compatible platform. How do I
fix this before I wipe the system and buy a new OS or make this pc a
paperweight.
David B.

Re: windows ME
If AVG has no Windows ME compatible version available there is nothing you
can do but find an AV app that is ME compatible.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"Stone man" <Stone man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3DC3178-7FA5-487F-93C3-47C5CF4D7F68@microsoft.com...
> Inherited a desktop pc that has windows ME on it. I am trying to load AVG
> antivirus, the system will not allow this as a compatible platform. How
> do I
> fix this before I wipe the system and buy a new OS or make this pc a
> paperweight.

Jeffrey W. Bowen

Re: windows ME
If you are going to wipe the system and buy a new OS to install, don't worry
about it if you purchase Windows XP or one of the Vista OS, AVG will be
quite able to accommodate those systems.

I would also advise checking the system specs to make sure your system is
"strong enough" to handle a XP or later OS. Check the power supply for
compatibility(in terms of watts and amps) and make sure you have at least
512mb of Ram for the system to run smoothly. 128mb may be acceptable for XP
but it will run slow. If you don't know how to do this get a knowledgeable
friend to help you. There are many people on this newsgroup who can be far
more helpful than I with this.

I hope this helps.

Peace,
Jeffrey W. Bowen
(formerly known as "Sky Captain")
To email, remove "NO . . . Spam" from email address.

"Stone man" <Stone man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3DC3178-7FA5-487F-93C3-47C5CF4D7F68@microsoft.com...
> Inherited a desktop pc that has windows ME on it. I am trying to load AVG
> antivirus, the system will not allow this as a compatible platform. How
> do I
> fix this before I wipe the system and buy a new OS or make this pc a
> paperweight.

Re: windows ME
[X-post to WinME General]

Support for AVG Free 7.5 for all Windows versions ended on 31 August 2008.
AVG Free 8 is not supported in WinME.

AFAIK, the only AV app supported in WinME is Avast4...and who knows how long
that will last? cf. www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

PS: Support for WinME ended in July 2006. No updates for WinME have been
released since June 2006.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Stone man wrote:
> Inherited a desktop pc that has windows ME on it. I am trying to load AVG
> antivirus, the system will not allow this as a compatible platform. How
> do
> I fix this before I wipe the system and buy a new OS or make this pc a
> paperweight.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: windows ME
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> PS: Support for WinME ended in July 2006. No updates for WinME have
> been released since June 2006.

To put this another way, there's no point in running anti-virus software, if the
machine is on the internet it will be compromised anyway.

Harry.
Mart

Re: windows ME
Hmm... Although

> Support for AVG Free 7.5 for all Windows
> versions ended on 31 August 2008.

AVG's own updates are currently available from Grisoft and they are still
updating their latest definitions (virus database) daily.

NB Grisoft recommend using the normal AVG program interface to do the
updates.

However, AVG Free 7.5.xxx can still be obtained from :-
http://avg-free-edition.brothersoft....edition7.5.488

But, as PA said (about Avast4) ...
> who knows how long that will last?

.... applies to AVG too.

Mart

> [X-post to WinME General]
>
> Support for AVG Free 7.5 for all Windows versions ended on 31 August 2008.
> AVG Free 8 is not supported in WinME.
>
> AFAIK, the only AV app supported in WinME is Avast4...and who knows how
> long that will last? cf. www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
>
> PS: Support for WinME ended in July 2006. No updates for WinME have been
> released since June 2006.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Stone man wrote:
>> Inherited a desktop pc that has windows ME on it. I am trying to load
>> AVG
>> antivirus, the system will not allow this as a compatible platform. How
>> do
>> I fix this before I wipe the system and buy a new OS or make this pc a
>> paperweight.

Milt

Re: windows ME
Pa Bear,

I'm using AVG 7.5.549 Free Edition on three of my older Win ME
computers. I updated yesterday, Nov.10, to Definitions Version 270.9.0/1779
and after reading your post I just updated a few minutes ago, Nov. 11, to
Definitions Version 270.9.2/1782. I did both by just clicking "Check For
Update" button, and the updates came automatically. I then checked their web
site and it said "AVG 7.5 will be supported until Dec. 31 2008". Perhaps the
support was suspended earlier for the paid version.

Just to let you know,
Milt

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [X-post to WinME General]
>
> Support for AVG Free 7.5 for all Windows versions ended on 31 August 2008.
> AVG Free 8 is not supported in WinME.
>
> AFAIK, the only AV app supported in WinME is Avast4...and who knows how long
> that will last? cf. www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
>
> PS: Support for WinME ended in July 2006. No updates for WinME have been
> released since June 2006.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Stone man wrote:
> > Inherited a desktop pc that has windows ME on it. I am trying to load AVG
> > antivirus, the system will not allow this as a compatible platform. How
> > do
> > I fix this before I wipe the system and buy a new OS or make this pc a
> > paperweight.

TaurArian

Re: windows ME
Thanks for the update Milt, but what are you going to do after 31st December
2008?

"Milt" wrote:

> Pa Bear,
>
> I'm using AVG 7.5.549 Free Edition on three of my older Win ME
> computers. I updated yesterday, Nov.10, to Definitions Version 270.9.0/1779
> and after reading your post I just updated a few minutes ago, Nov. 11, to
> Definitions Version 270.9.2/1782. I did both by just clicking "Check For
> Update" button, and the updates came automatically. I then checked their web
> site and it said "AVG 7.5 will be supported until Dec. 31 2008". Perhaps the
> support was suspended earlier for the paid version.
>
> Just to let you know,
> Milt
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > [X-post to WinME General]
> >
> > Support for AVG Free 7.5 for all Windows versions ended on 31 August 2008.
> > AVG Free 8 is not supported in WinME.
> >
> > AFAIK, the only AV app supported in WinME is Avast4...and who knows how long
> > that will last? cf. www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
> >
> > PS: Support for WinME ended in July 2006. No updates for WinME have been
> > released since June 2006.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > Stone man wrote:
> > > Inherited a desktop pc that has windows ME on it. I am trying to load AVG
> > > antivirus, the system will not allow this as a compatible platform. How
> > > do
> > > I fix this before I wipe the system and buy a new OS or make this pc a
> > > paperweight.

Milt

Re: windows ME
TaurArian,

The truth is, I'll be able to answer what I'm going to do better after
Jan.1 or Jan. 2 of next year. I've got three older machines that I keep
active mostly for Word processing and Excell funchions. While I do have them
networked and can access the internet with them, I seldom do so.

Milt

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Thanks for the update Milt, but what are you going to do after 31st December
> 2008?
> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>

> "Milt" wrote:
>
> > Pa Bear,
> >
> > I'm using AVG 7.5.549 Free Edition on three of my older Win ME
> > computers. I updated yesterday, Nov.10, to Definitions Version 270.9.0/1779
> > and after reading your post I just updated a few minutes ago, Nov. 11, to
> > Definitions Version 270.9.2/1782. I did both by just clicking "Check For
> > Update" button, and the updates came automatically. I then checked their web
> > site and it said "AVG 7.5 will be supported until Dec. 31 2008". Perhaps the
> > support was suspended earlier for the paid version.
> >
> > Just to let you know,
> > Milt
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > [X-post to WinME General]
> > >
> > > Support for AVG Free 7.5 for all Windows versions ended on 31 August 2008.
> > > AVG Free 8 is not supported in WinME.
> > >
> > > AFAIK, the only AV app supported in WinME is Avast4...and who knows how long
> > > that will last? cf. www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
> > >
> > > PS: Support for WinME ended in July 2006. No updates for WinME have been
> > > released since June 2006.
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

webster72n

Re: windows ME

> [X-post to WinME General]
>
> Support for AVG Free 7.5 for all Windows versions ended on 31 August 2008.
> AVG Free 8 is not supported in WinME.
>
> AFAIK, the only AV app supported in WinME is Avast4...

shouldn't that read: the only AV application supporting WinME?

> and who knows how long
> that will last? cf. www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

my hopes are that it will be for a long time to come...
<H>.