Error Code: 0x80246008

Hawkeye

Error Code: 0x80246008
Getting a failed update install indicator followed by a ?. Error Code:
0x80246008 shows. Not sure if the installs are actually being done or not.
Thanks.
TaurArian

Re: Error Code: 0x80246008
You forgot to mention what operating system you were using and what update
was causing you a problem. In fact you didn't provide any details at all.

Suggest you study the list below and pick one that is suitable to your
situation/operating system or in the alternative after reading the same and
none are applicable you may wish to post back with some more information.

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the
"0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft
Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

You receive an error message when you try to download updates from the
Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site, or when you
try to start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916251

You receive a "The necessary services are disabled or unavailable" error
message when you connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or to the
Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883822
The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246007
The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246008

Error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update
Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80246008"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956706

Windows Update error 80246008
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb2fd1033.mspx

An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service
(BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Hawkeye" <Hawkeye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Getting a failed update install indicator followed by a ?. Error Code:
> 0x80246008 shows. Not sure if the installs are actually being done or
> not.
> Thanks.

Hawkeye

Re: Error Code: 0x80246008
You're right. Running XP Professional. The message is "failed
installation". This computer has not had a single successful update in
months. There have been a number of viruses on this machine. It was
originally part of a network but was put into stand-alone service around
April. Security features were disabled when it was in the network allowing
the malware to get in. Problems included: Internet connection was
terminated, access to Microsoft site was not allowed, frequent lockup, slow
start, etc. Several sweeps with different products have been done with some
success. Still getting a memory read error at sign in and the rundll error.
BITS and Event Log are set for automatic start and are started.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> You forgot to mention what operating system you were using and what update
> was causing you a problem. In fact you didn't provide any details at all.
>
> Suggest you study the list below and pick one that is suitable to your
> situation/operating system or in the alternative after reading the same and
> none are applicable you may wish to post back with some more information.
>
> You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the
> "0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft
> Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337
>
> You receive an error message when you try to download updates from the
> Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site, or when you
> try to start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916251
>
> You receive a "The necessary services are disabled or unavailable" error
> message when you connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or to the
> Microsoft Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883822
> The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246007
> The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246008
>
> Error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update
> Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80246008"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956706
>
> Windows Update error 80246008
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb2fd1033.mspx
>
> An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service
> (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
>

> "Hawkeye" <Hawkeye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Getting a failed update install indicator followed by a ?. Error Code:
> > 0x80246008 shows. Not sure if the installs are actually being done or
> > not.
> > Thanks.

TaurArian

Re: Error Code: 0x80246008
Suggest you run HiJack This

Courtesy of PA Bear

"YOU can run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your
hijackthis log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
by an expert in such matters, not here.**"

If too badly infected, then you may have to reconsider your options.

"Hawkeye" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Windows Update error 80246008
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fb2fd1033.mspx
> >
> > An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service
> > (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520
> >

> > --
> >
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> > ======================================
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> > guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
> > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
> >

> > "Hawkeye" <Hawkeye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Getting a failed update install indicator followed by a ?. Error Code:
> > > 0x80246008 shows. Not sure if the installs are actually being done or

Re: Error Code: 0x80246008
Sounds like you have more work to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net