a program suddenly started crashing

Rae

a program suddenly started crashing
My husband has Omega Research TradeStation2000i on one computer. Over the
past few weeks, problems suddenly started. They have escalated. So I
installed the program on my separate computer - same model, same processor,
etc. but not connected to his at all. I have XP Professional and he has XP
Home Edition. We both have automatic updates turned on. I thought for sure he
had a virus because the program has been fine for years! So I thought I would
have no problem. I was wrong. After installing, I had SAME problems he was
having. One error is:
Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
Another:
orchart MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience.
Other problems: Server failed to launch application, out of memory,
catastrophic failure, etc,...
We've scanned his computer with McAfee (which he has running all the time)
and did a free Norton scan. No virus. I have Norton. Neither of us have any
virus. We both are connected to a firewall. Cable connection through Link
router.
I have finally concluded the problem has to be a windows file which we both
got from the windows updates.
What can we do? The program that its killing is not supported!
Hope someone can help!
Rae
TaurArian

RE: a program suddenly started crashing
Undo the recent updates that are alleged to have caused the problem and then
reinstall them one by one until you find which update may be responsible for
the problem. Then post back with your findings.

"Rae" wrote:

> My husband has Omega Research TradeStation2000i on one computer. Over the
> past few weeks, problems suddenly started. They have escalated. So I
> installed the program on my separate computer - same model, same processor,
> etc. but not connected to his at all. I have XP Professional and he has XP
> Home Edition. We both have automatic updates turned on. I thought for sure he
> had a virus because the program has been fine for years! So I thought I would
> have no problem. I was wrong. After installing, I had SAME problems he was
> having. One error is:
> Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
> Another:
> orchart MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
> are sorry for the inconvenience.
> Other problems: Server failed to launch application, out of memory,
> catastrophic failure, etc,...
> We've scanned his computer with McAfee (which he has running all the time)
> and did a free Norton scan. No virus. I have Norton. Neither of us have any
> virus. We both are connected to a firewall. Cable connection through Link
> router.
> I have finally concluded the problem has to be a windows file which we both
> got from the windows updates.
> What can we do? The program that its killing is not supported!
> Hope someone can help!
> Rae

Rae

RE: a program suddenly started crashing
Hi Thanks for response. That sounds like a good idea but problem is we don't
have a firm date as to when it started or which update did it.

Should I choose a restore point for say, a month ago? Would that undo the
windows updates that were installed since that time?

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Undo the recent updates that are alleged to have caused the problem and then
> reinstall them one by one until you find which update may be responsible for
> the problem. Then post back with your findings.
> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>

> "Rae" wrote:
>
> > My husband has Omega Research TradeStation2000i on one computer. Over the
> > past few weeks, problems suddenly started. They have escalated. So I
> > installed the program on my separate computer - same model, same processor,
> > etc. but not connected to his at all. I have XP Professional and he has XP
> > Home Edition. We both have automatic updates turned on. I thought for sure he
> > had a virus because the program has been fine for years! So I thought I would
> > have no problem. I was wrong. After installing, I had SAME problems he was
> > having. One error is:
> > Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
> > Another:
> > orchart MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
> > are sorry for the inconvenience.
> > Other problems: Server failed to launch application, out of memory,
> > catastrophic failure, etc,...
> > We've scanned his computer with McAfee (which he has running all the time)
> > and did a free Norton scan. No virus. I have Norton. Neither of us have any
> > virus. We both are connected to a firewall. Cable connection through Link
> > router.
> > I have finally concluded the problem has to be a windows file which we both
> > got from the windows updates.
> > What can we do? The program that its killing is not supported!
> > Hope someone can help!
> > Rae

Rae

RE: a program suddenly started crashing
i.e., is using a Restore Point the way to undo the windows updates? Or should
I go to add/remove programs and uninstall the windows updates there?

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Undo the recent updates that are alleged to have caused the problem and then
> reinstall them one by one until you find which update may be responsible for
> the problem. Then post back with your findings.
> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>

> "Rae" wrote:
>
> > My husband has Omega Research TradeStation2000i on one computer. Over the
> > past few weeks, problems suddenly started. They have escalated. So I
> > installed the program on my separate computer - same model, same processor,
> > etc. but not connected to his at all. I have XP Professional and he has XP
> > Home Edition. We both have automatic updates turned on. I thought for sure he
> > had a virus because the program has been fine for years! So I thought I would
> > have no problem. I was wrong. After installing, I had SAME problems he was
> > having. One error is:
> > Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
> > Another:
> > orchart MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
> > are sorry for the inconvenience.
> > Other problems: Server failed to launch application, out of memory,
> > catastrophic failure, etc,...
> > We've scanned his computer with McAfee (which he has running all the time)
> > and did a free Norton scan. No virus. I have Norton. Neither of us have any
> > virus. We both are connected to a firewall. Cable connection through Link
> > router.
> > I have finally concluded the problem has to be a windows file which we both
> > got from the windows updates.
> > What can we do? The program that its killing is not supported!
> > Hope someone can help!
> > Rae

TaurArian

RE: a program suddenly started crashing
I wouldn't rely upon an old SR point.
I was under the impression this was a recent problem due to the title of the
posting "a program suddenly started crashing".

The only safe way to remove an update is from add/remove from the most
recent to the oldest in that order. It may turn out that it's not Windows
Update at all and may relate directly to the program. Remember, one at a
time, reboot and test the program.

In the meantime, by removing the security updates, you are leaving your
computer vulnerable.

The decision is yours.

Other considerations, have you installed any other programs recently or new
virus scanner etc.

"Rae" wrote:

> Hi Thanks for response. That sounds like a good idea but problem is we don't
> have a firm date as to when it started or which update did it.
>
> Should I choose a restore point for say, a month ago? Would that undo the
> windows updates that were installed since that time?
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > Undo the recent updates that are alleged to have caused the problem and then
> > reinstall them one by one until you find which update may be responsible for
> > the problem. Then post back with your findings.
> > --
> > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> > guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
> >

> > "Rae" wrote:
> >
> > > My husband has Omega Research TradeStation2000i on one computer. Over the
> > > past few weeks, problems suddenly started. They have escalated. So I
> > > installed the program on my separate computer - same model, same processor,
> > > etc. but not connected to his at all. I have XP Professional and he has XP
> > > Home Edition. We both have automatic updates turned on. I thought for sure he
> > > had a virus because the program has been fine for years! So I thought I would
> > > have no problem. I was wrong. After installing, I had SAME problems he was
> > > having. One error is:
> > > Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
> > > Another:
> > > orchart MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
> > > are sorry for the inconvenience.
> > > Other problems: Server failed to launch application, out of memory,
> > > catastrophic failure, etc,...
> > > We've scanned his computer with McAfee (which he has running all the time)
> > > and did a free Norton scan. No virus. I have Norton. Neither of us have any
> > > virus. We both are connected to a firewall. Cable connection through Link
> > > router.
> > > I have finally concluded the problem has to be a windows file which we both
> > > got from the windows updates.
> > > What can we do? The program that its killing is not supported!
> > > Hope someone can help!
> > > Rae

Rae

RE: a program suddenly started crashing
He states not. And I haven't. Of course there are always updates on our virus
software. And we occassionally get updates from Java.