Re: IE7, SP3 & Norton 360 conflicts

[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

1. Which was installed first, WinXP SP3 or Norton 360 (N360)?

2. When (date) does your N360 subscription expire?

3. Did you upgrade to N360 from an earlier Norton application and version
(e.g., Norton Internet Security 2007; N360 2008)? If not...

4. What anti-virus application/security suite was installed before you
installed N360? Did you uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs *before* you
installed N360?

5. Is Automatic Updates enabled?

6. You open IE to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM, scan
for updates, and then install any critical security updates offered (if
any)?

7a. Can you access (open) IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Security (tab)?

7b. Can you open Task Manager via CTRL+ALT+DEL?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Gypsymom wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Media Center, Version 2002 with all current up
> dates
> and have SP3 installed, including IE7. I also have been using Incredimail
> as
> my e-mail client. I am using Norton 360. I was happy with how my computer
> was working.
>
> I had been running IE7 for quite some time, over a year, before I
> installed
> SP3 earlier this summer. I did install SP3 ‘over’ IE7.
> I periodically go through my machine to clean up clutter and to make sure
> everything is up to date. I also use automatic updates from Microsoft.
>
> I am currently having some really annoying issues that I simply cannot fix
> and need help. These issues all surfaced after installing SP3 and Norton
> 360. I think I need to find a way to completely remove SP3 and IE7 and
> start over. Or?
> I need your help to do that.
> Here are my issues:
> • IE7 has become COMPLETELY unstable. It locks up, hangs and crashes
> constantly. (I have started to use Firefox, but I am not as comfortable
> with
> it as I am with IE.) The only way to get out of the 'lock up' is to end
> the
> process with the Task Manager. I have tried the self help troubleshooter
> from Microsoft Help & Support, to no avail.
> • My Incredimail program is locking up as well. This started at the same
> time as the problem with IE7. Right after I installed SP3and Norton 360.
> I know this is a lot, but, I have spent HOURS patiently trying to fix this
> stuff on my own. I am now FRUSTRATED and I am turning to you for help. It’s
> beyond my skill level.
> Thanks in advance.

DiehardRedSoxFan

Re: IE7, SP3 & Norton 360 conflicts
I installed Norton first N360 after uninstalling an older version.

N360 expires in about 1 year.

Yes auto updates is enabled.

Win XP SP3 will not install successfully. After about half way, I get a
message "access denied". I disabled Norton before the update. Since 3
attempts of the update, my computer is getting slower and slower.... I wish
I had never attempted this update. Computer was running great previously.

Any suggestions?

Frustrated

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> 1. Which was installed first, WinXP SP3 or Norton 360 (N360)?
>
> 2. When (date) does your N360 subscription expire?
>
> 3. Did you upgrade to N360 from an earlier Norton application and version
> (e.g., Norton Internet Security 2007; N360 2008)? If not...
>
> 4. What anti-virus application/security suite was installed before you
> installed N360? Did you uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs *before* you
> installed N360?
>
> 5. Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>
> 6. You open IE to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM, scan
> for updates, and then install any critical security updates offered (if
> any)?
>
> 7a. Can you access (open) IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Security (tab)?
>
> 7b. Can you open Task Manager via CTRL+ALT+DEL?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Gypsymom wrote:
> > I am running Windows XP Media Center, Version 2002 with all current up
> > dates
> > and have SP3 installed, including IE7. I also have been using Incredimail
> > as
> > my e-mail client. I am using Norton 360. I was happy with how my computer
> > was working.
> >
> > I had been running IE7 for quite some time, over a year, before I
> > installed
> > SP3 earlier this summer. I did install SP3 ‘over’ IE7.
> > I periodically go through my machine to clean up clutter and to make sure
> > everything is up to date. I also use automatic updates from Microsoft.
> >
> > I am currently having some really annoying issues that I simply cannot fix
> > and need help. These issues all surfaced after installing SP3 and Norton
> > 360. I think I need to find a way to completely remove SP3 and IE7 and
> > start over. Or?
> > I need your help to do that.
> > Here are my issues:
> > • IE7 has become COMPLETELY unstable. It locks up, hangs and crashes
> > constantly. (I have started to use Firefox, but I am not as comfortable
> > with
> > it as I am with IE.) The only way to get out of the 'lock up' is to end
> > the
> > process with the Task Manager. I have tried the self help troubleshooter
> > from Microsoft Help & Support, to no avail.
> > • My Incredimail program is locking up as well. This started at the same
> > time as the problem with IE7. Right after I installed SP3and Norton 360.
> > I know this is a lot, but, I have spent HOURS patiently trying to fix this
> > stuff on my own. I am now FRUSTRATED and I am turning to you for help. It’s
> > beyond my skill level.
> > Thanks in advance.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Re: IE7, SP3 & Norton 360 conflicts
N360 strikes again.

"DiehardRedSoxFan" <DiehardRedSoxFan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:50D51DC1-19AD-447C-9D77-9B792E2AB819@microsoft.com...
:I installed Norton first N360 after uninstalling an older version.
:
: N360 expires in about 1 year.
:
: Yes auto updates is enabled.
:
: Win XP SP3 will not install successfully. After about half way, I get a
: message "access denied". I disabled Norton before the update. Since 3
: attempts of the update, my computer is getting slower and slower.... I
wish
: I had never attempted this update. Computer was running great previously.
:
:
: Any suggestions?
:
: Frustrated
:
: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
:
: > [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
: >
[...]
: > --
: > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
: > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
: > Gypsymom wrote:
: > > I am running Windows XP Media Center, Version 2002 with all current up
: > > dates
: > > and have SP3 installed, including IE7. I also have been using
Incredimail
: > > as
: > > my e-mail client. I am using Norton 360. I was happy with how my
computer
: > > was working.
: > >
[...]

TaurArian

DiehardRedSoxFan wrote:
:: I installed Norton first N360 after uninstalling an older version.
::
:: N360 expires in about 1 year.
::
:: Yes auto updates is enabled.
::
:: Win XP SP3 will not install successfully. After about half way, I
:: get a message "access denied". I disabled Norton before the
:: update. Since 3 attempts of the update, my computer is getting
:: slower and slower.... I wish I had never attempted this update.
:: Computer was running great previously.
::
::
:: Any suggestions?
::
:: Frustrated
::
:: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
::
::: [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
:::
[...]
::: --
::: Gypsymom wrote:
:::: I am running Windows XP Media Center, Version 2002 with all
:::: current up dates
:::: and have SP3 installed, including IE7. I also have been using
:::: Incredimail as
:::: my e-mail client. I am using Norton 360. I was happy with how my
:::: computer was working.
::::
[...]

If you're running Norton's :
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...08051623512613
Numerous registry keys are added when you upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack
3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 with a Norton product installed. Because
of these registry keys, you may experience one or more of the following
symptoms:
Windows Device Manager is empty
Missing Wireless network adaptors or other hardware devices
Unable to connect using a wireless adapter
During the upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service
Pack 1, a tool called Fixccs.exe creates a series of registry keys in many
locations (some of them within the Symantec registry keys) but is unable to
remove them.
Symantec has developed a tool to remove the registry entries that were added
during the Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista SP 1 upgrade. Download
and run the tool to automatically remove the registry entries.

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server
2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

FYI -

1.
http://service1.symantec.com/support...hm&lg=en&ct=us
FAQ: Upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1
with Norton 360 installed

2. Want to read more:
http://searchg.symantec.com/search?q...t=symc_en_ US

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: IE7, SP3 & Norton 360 conflicts
@DiehardRedSoxFan *only*!...

Ideally, you would have started a new thread about *your* problem instead of
hijacking someone else's thread. However, seeing as Gypsymom never returned
to her thread, it's now yours.

NB: You will want to print these instrux for offline reference!

A. Dealing with the NIS upgrade botch-update

1. Download this removal tool, saving it to your desktop:

2. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall all
Norton software (including LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons) via Add/Remove
Programs.

3. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) until NIS has been reinstalled and fully
updated!!

4. Double-click on the saved download from #1 above to run the tool.

5. Reboot and /immediately/ reinstall NIS using your Product ID.

6. Run LiveUpdate manually & repeatedly until you get a "No more updates
available" prompt.

B. Installing WinXP SP3

> Win XP SP3 will not install successfully. After about half way, I get a
> message "access denied". I disabled Norton before the update. Since 3
> attempts of the update, my computer is getting slower and slower....

1. Run Disk Cleanup & reboot at least twice.

2. Now see this KB article:

Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

=> Possible fix:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/

Read and Heed! => WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful
installation

3. Immediately after getting SP3 installed successfully and *rebooting
twice*, check in at Windows Update and install any critical updates offered.

NB: If you have not installed IE7, I do NOT recommend installing it via
Windows Update. If IE7 is installed and a Root Certificates update is
listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage
of IE7's enhanced security.

Best of luck.

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
"Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

DiehardRedSoxFan wrote:
> I installed Norton first N360 after uninstalling an older version.
>
> N360 expires in about 1 year.
>
> Yes auto updates is enabled.
>
> Win XP SP3 will not install successfully. After about half way, I get a
> message "access denied". I disabled Norton before the update. Since 3
> attempts of the update, my computer is getting slower and slower.... I
> wish
> I had never attempted this update. Computer was running great previously.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>>
>> 1. Which was installed first, WinXP SP3 or Norton 360 (N360)?
>>
>> 2. When (date) does your N360 subscription expire?
>>
>> 3. Did you upgrade to N360 from an earlier Norton application and version
>> (e.g., Norton Internet Security 2007; N360 2008)? If not...
>>
>> 4. What anti-virus application/security suite was installed before you
>> installed N360? Did you uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs *before*
>> you
>> installed N360?
>>
>> 5. Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>>
>> 6. You open IE to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM, scan
>> for updates, and then install any critical security updates offered (if
>> any)?
>>
>> 7a. Can you access (open) IE7 Tools | Internet Options | Security (tab)?
>>
>> 7b. Can you open Task Manager via CTRL+ALT+DEL?
>> --
>>
>> Gypsymom wrote:
>>> I am running Windows XP Media Center, Version 2002 with all current up
>>> dates
>>> and have SP3 installed, including IE7...
>>> ...I am using Norton 360. I was happy with how my computer
>>> was working.

<snip>

Re: IE7, SP3 & Norton 360 conflicts
[Will you jump in my grave that fast, too?! <eg>]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
:: [Will you jump in my grave that fast, too?! <eg>]

Only if you're still warm !

Kayman

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:04:02 -0800, DiehardRedSoxFan wrote:

> I installed Norton first N360 after uninstalling an older version.

None of the RedSox fans I know are using Norton! They're all using the free
version of Avira's Anti-Vir! (Note the color similitude).

Good luck

TaurArian wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> [Will you jump in my grave that fast, too?! <eg>]

> Only if you're still warm !

Ooo, baby! <w>
Peter Foldes

Re: IE7, SP3 & Norton 360 conflicts
OK. This is a newsgroup not a dating service. LOL

--
Peter