Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Problems with (KB956391)

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2008
Ron H
 

Posts: n/a
Problems with (KB956391)
After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much slower
and different programs not working right i decided to do a system restore.
Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just prior to Oct.14 patch
Tuesday.
Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the update :
ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with ill effects to my
computer. Now that this update is not installed any more, and i'm choosing
not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield in my system tray and
also tell WU
not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in the box
to stop showing this update.

Thanks for any
help, Ron H.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2008
Engel
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Problems with (KB956391)
Hello Ron H (the Nascar fan ? ;-)

See if this thread with the link helps.

How to Hide Updates in Vista

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=4a992 cd3-4770-429f-8ad3-02646a126e82&mid=4a992cd3-4770-429f-8ad3-02646a126e82>


Also
Visit <http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/> and do a CUSTOM scan...
Then you can select (or deselect and look at the details and HIDE) the
updates you want.

I hope this post is helpful.


Let us know how it works ºut.

Good luck


Ǝиçεl
-=-


"Ron H" wrote:

> After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much slower
> and different programs not working right i decided to do a system restore.
> Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just prior to Oct.14 patch
> Tuesday.
> Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the update :
> ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with ill effects to my
> computer. Now that this update is not installed any more, and i'm choosing
> not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield in my system tray and
> also tell WU
> not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in the box
> to stop showing this update.
>
> Thanks for any
> help, Ron H.
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2008
Ron H
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Problems with (KB956391)
Hey Engel My Long time friend, I emailed you this question a couple of hours
ago.
I didn't read the first part yet But the second part doesn't work - maybe
because
it was a critical update? I can't put a check in the box when i do a custom
scan.
Hope everything is a little better. Ron





"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Ron H (the Nascar fan ? ;-)
>
> See if this thread with the link helps.
>
> How to Hide Updates in Vista
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=4a992 cd3-4770-429f-8ad3-02646a126e82&mid=4a992cd3-4770-429f-8ad3-02646a126e82>
>
>
> Also
> Visit <http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/> and do a CUSTOM scan...
> Then you can select (or deselect and look at the details and HIDE) the
> updates you want.
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
>
> Good luck
>
>
> Ǝиçεl
> -=-
>
>
> "Ron H" wrote:
>
> > After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much slower
> > and different programs not working right i decided to do a system restore.
> > Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just prior to Oct.14 patch
> > Tuesday.
> > Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the update :
> > ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with ill effects to my
> > computer. Now that this update is not installed any more, and i'm choosing
> > not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield in my system tray and
> > also tell WU
> > not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in the box
> > to stop showing this update.
> >
> > Thanks for any
> > help, Ron H.
> >

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2008
Ron H
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Problems with (KB956391)
Hi Engel, It does work my mistake. I wasn't unchecking the update first and
then
i was allowed to check the box : Do Not Show This update Again. Thanks Again
Nice to hear from you again. Ron

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Ron H (the Nascar fan ? ;-)
>
> See if this thread with the link helps.
>
> How to Hide Updates in Vista
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=4a992 cd3-4770-429f-8ad3-02646a126e82&mid=4a992cd3-4770-429f-8ad3-02646a126e82>
>
>
> Also
> Visit <http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/> and do a CUSTOM scan...
> Then you can select (or deselect and look at the details and HIDE) the
> updates you want.
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
>
> Good luck
>
>
> Ǝиçεl
> -=-
>
>
> "Ron H" wrote:
>
> > After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much slower
> > and different programs not working right i decided to do a system restore.
> > Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just prior to Oct.14 patch
> > Tuesday.
> > Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the update :
> > ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with ill effects to my
> > computer. Now that this update is not installed any more, and i'm choosing
> > not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield in my system tray and
> > also tell WU
> > not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in the box
> > to stop showing this update.
> >
> > Thanks for any
> > help, Ron H.
> >

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problems with (KB956391)
>>> After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much
>>> slower and different programs not working right...


@Ron: What programs weren't "working right"?

1. Is the machine otherwise fully patched at Windows Update *and* Office
Update (if Microsoft Update isn't your default update source)?

2. Assuming it is, do you have Microgaming Download Helper, (Husdawg) System
Requirements Lab (www.husdawg.com/systemrequirementslab/Home2.html), and/or
PhotoStockPlus Uploader Tool (www.photostockplus.com) installed?

If YES for #1 and NO for #2, installing KB956391 shouldn't be causing any
problems.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ron H wrote:
> Hi Engel, It does work my mistake. I wasn't unchecking the update first
> and
> then
> i was allowed to check the box : Do Not Show This update Again. Thanks
> Again Nice to hear from you again. Ron
>
> "Engel" wrote:

<snip>
>> Also
>> Visit <http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/> and do a CUSTOM scan...
>> Then you can select (or deselect and look at the details and HIDE) the
>> updates you want.
>>
>> "Ron H" wrote:
>>> After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much
>>> slower and different programs not working right i decided to do a
>>> system restore. Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just prior
>>> to Oct.14 patch Tuesday.
>>> Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the
>>> update : ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with ill
>>> effects to my computer. Now that this update is not installed any more,
>>> and i'm choosing not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield in
>>> my system tray and
>>> also tell WU
>>> not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in
>>> the box to stop showing this update.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2008
Engel
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Problems with (KB956391)
It helps if you mark your initial question as answered--that will enable
others searching for an answer to find a correct one more quickly.

Was this post helpful to you? Ron,

Glad to hear you got it.

Thank you for the feedback,


(¯`·._.·Ǝиçεl·._.·´¯)

-=-

"Ron H" wrote:

> Hi Engel, It does work my mistake. I wasn't unchecking the update first and
> then
> i was allowed to check the box : Do Not Show This update Again. Thanks Again
> Nice to hear from you again. Ron
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello Ron H (the Nascar fan ? ;-)
> >
> > See if this thread with the link helps.
> >
> > How to Hide Updates in Vista
> >
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=4a992 cd3-4770-429f-8ad3-02646a126e82&mid=4a992cd3-4770-429f-8ad3-02646a126e82>
> >
> >
> > Also
> > Visit <http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/> and do a CUSTOM scan...
> > Then you can select (or deselect and look at the details and HIDE) the
> > updates you want.
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >
> >
> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> >
> > Ǝиçεl
> > -=-
> >
> >
> > "Ron H" wrote:
> >
> > > After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much slower
> > > and different programs not working right i decided to do a system restore.
> > > Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just prior to Oct.14 patch
> > > Tuesday.
> > > Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the update :
> > > ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with ill effects to my
> > > computer. Now that this update is not installed any more, and i'm choosing
> > > not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield in my system tray and
> > > also tell WU
> > > not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in the box
> > > to stop showing this update.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any
> > > help, Ron H.
> > >

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2008
Ron H
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problems with (KB956391)
HI PA Bear, Having Verizon with MSN Premium my Verizon home page opened in
bits and pieces, First parts of the header then an ad then a news story then
more of the header etc., much much slower then ever. Then i noticed
anniboom.com video's wouldn't open to full view along with a nascar video
site. Also you couldn't watch a video because of buffering every three
seconds. after testing my internet connection speed with about five different
test sites my speed was down to 450-480 when my speeds should be 1500+ with
Verizon telling me there was nothing wrong that
they can see from their end. When i removed the update everything is working
fine.
Now doing a few system restores untill i restored to OCT. 12 is when
everything got better. I reinstalled all updates leaving KB956391 for last
and all was fine so
i'm not installing Killbits update again. Ron

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >>> After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much
> >>> slower and different programs not working right...

>
> @Ron: What programs weren't "working right"?
>
> 1. Is the machine otherwise fully patched at Windows Update *and* Office
> Update (if Microsoft Update isn't your default update source)?
>
> 2. Assuming it is, do you have Microgaming Download Helper, (Husdawg) System
> Requirements Lab (www.husdawg.com/systemrequirementslab/Home2.html), and/or
> PhotoStockPlus Uploader Tool (www.photostockplus.com) installed?
>
> If YES for #1 and NO for #2, installing KB956391 shouldn't be causing any
> problems.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Ron H wrote:
> > Hi Engel, It does work my mistake. I wasn't unchecking the update first
> > and
> > then
> > i was allowed to check the box : Do Not Show This update Again. Thanks
> > Again Nice to hear from you again. Ron
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:

> <snip>
> >> Also
> >> Visit <http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/> and do a CUSTOM scan...
> >> Then you can select (or deselect and look at the details and HIDE) the
> >> updates you want.
> >>
> >> "Ron H" wrote:
> >>> After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much
> >>> slower and different programs not working right i decided to do a
> >>> system restore. Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just prior
> >>> to Oct.14 patch Tuesday.
> >>> Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the
> >>> update : ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with ill
> >>> effects to my computer. Now that this update is not installed any more,
> >>> and i'm choosing not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield in
> >>> my system tray and
> >>> also tell WU
> >>> not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in
> >>> the box to stop showing this update.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problems with (KB956391)
Can you answer #1 and #2, please?

The behavior on your MSN/Verizon homepage was most likely caused by the new
(My)MSN layout/format, which in turn is controlled by your date-stamped
cookies. (Your use of System Restore almost certainly took care of this, as
would deleting all msn.com [and possibly verizon.com] cookies, I should
think.)

Unless the machine was not fully patched at Windows Update and Office Update
*and* you have any of the 3 applications in #2 installed, there's not a
chance that KB956391 would have caused any of this behavior.

If KB956391 were causing the behavior, simply uninstalling it (and NOT using
System Restore at all) would have addressed it.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

If you're running ZoneAlarm firewall, what version is it?

Are you a Verizon dial-up subscriber, a (full) DSL or FIOS subscriber, or an
"almost as fast as DSL and cable" subscriber?
--
~PA Bear

Ron H wrote:
> HI PA Bear, Having Verizon with MSN Premium my Verizon home page opened
> in
> bits and pieces, First parts of the header then an ad then a news story
> then
> more of the header etc., much much slower then ever. Then i noticed
> anniboom.com video's wouldn't open to full view along with a nascar video
> site. Also you couldn't watch a video because of buffering every three
> seconds. after testing my internet connection speed with about five
> different test sites my speed was down to 450-480 when my speeds should be
> 1500+ with Verizon telling me there was nothing wrong that
> they can see from their end. When i removed the update everything is
> working
> fine.
> Now doing a few system restores untill i restored to OCT. 12 is when
> everything got better. I reinstalled all updates leaving KB956391 for last
> and all was fine so
> i'm not installing Killbits update again. Ron
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>>>> After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much
>>>>> slower and different programs not working right...

>>
>> @Ron: What programs weren't "working right"?
>>
>> 1. Is the machine otherwise fully patched at Windows Update *and* Office
>> Update (if Microsoft Update isn't your default update source)?
>>
>> 2. Assuming it is, do you have Microgaming Download Helper, (Husdawg)
>> System Requirements Lab
>> (www.husdawg.com/systemrequirementslab/Home2.html), and/or PhotoStockPlus
>> Uploader Tool (www.photostockplus.com) installed?
>>
>> If YES for #1 and NO for #2, installing KB956391 shouldn't be causing any
>> problems.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Ron H wrote:
>>> Hi Engel, It does work my mistake. I wasn't unchecking the update first
>>> and
>>> then
>>> i was allowed to check the box : Do Not Show This update Again. Thanks
>>> Again Nice to hear from you again. Ron
>>>
>>> "Engel" wrote:

>> <snip>
>>>> Also
>>>> Visit <http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/> and do a CUSTOM scan...
>>>> Then you can select (or deselect and look at the details and HIDE) the
>>>> updates you want.
>>>>
>>>> "Ron H" wrote:
>>>>> After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much
>>>>> slower and different programs not working right i decided to do a
>>>>> system restore. Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just
>>>>> prior
>>>>> to Oct.14 patch Tuesday.
>>>>> Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the
>>>>> update : ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with
>>>>> ill
>>>>> effects to my computer. Now that this update is not installed any
>>>>> more,
>>>>> and i'm choosing not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield
>>>>> in
>>>>> my system tray and
>>>>> also tell WU
>>>>> not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in
>>>>> the box to stop showing this update.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2010
DJJ
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Problems with (KB956391)

--
DJJ - confused but having fun


"Ron H" wrote:

> After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much slower
> and different programs not working right i decided to do a system restore.
> Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just prior to Oct.14 patch
> Tuesday.
> Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the update :
> ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with ill effects to my
> computer. Now that this update is not installed any more, and i'm choosing
> not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield in my system tray and
> also tell WU
> not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in the box
> to stop showing this update.
>
> Thanks for any
> help, Ron H.
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2010
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problems with (KB956391)


"DJJ" <DJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:17EE821C-BC87-4FCA-BB22-E43590C3C4BE@microsoft.com...

11/10/2008 1:10 PM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...2-e43590c3c4be


Empty post? Does this mean you were voting and thought you needed to post
too?

BTW why do most voters vote for the question and not the answer?


---


>
> --
> DJJ - confused but having fun
>
>
> "Ron H" wrote:
>
>> After noticing some problems with my Verizon home page opening much
>> slower
>> and different programs not working right i decided to do a system
>> restore.
>> Going back to Oct.12 my computer was fine -just prior to Oct.14 patch
>> Tuesday.
>> Now after installing those updates one at a time discovered that the
>> update :
>> ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391 was the one with ill effects to
>> my
>> computer. Now that this update is not installed any more, and i'm
>> choosing
>> not to install it, How do i stop the yellow shield in my system tray and
>> also tell WU
>> not to show me this update? This update doesn't allow you to click in
>> the box
>> to stop showing this update.
>>
>> Thanks for
>> any
>> help, Ron H.
>>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KB956391 and OWC Andre microsoft.public.windowsupdate 6 12-05-2008 08:30
Error 8007371B on update KB956391 Melly S microsoft.public.windowsupdate 7 10-26-2008 00:12
Problems starting command prompt on cygwin on vista ultimate, problems not had on Win2k3SP2 qa4ever microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 10-09-2008 12:10
2 different vista problems. Memory dump crash and startup repair cannot fix problems Hiera microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 06-28-2008 08:36
Downgrading from 64bit Vista to 32bit, Media Center problems, web page printing problems Chris Lane microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 10-13-2007 11:58




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120